• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Diesel and it been12 years since it last ran....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey all,

I have a Perkins AT352 turbo diesel engine I wish to get running after 12 or more years of sitting inside a machine shed. Any suggestions about how to do this? I plan on draining the tank and replacing all the fuel filters. Then adding fresh fuel, and using either to get her fire'rd up:brows:. Does anyone think it will require drain the injector lines?

What I am up to is this engine is in a New Idea Uni harvester, a 708 RWA (rear wheel assist) After I remove the silage chopper and head, I wish to mount my Lundell snow blower to the front and have myselft a hydrostatic 4wd snow blower, ready for use.:brows:

Just don't want to hurt it in the process:whistling:

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Pull the injectors and squirt a good amount of PB blaster or similar down each injector hole. Let it work for a day and then crank it over with the injectors out. You will see a bunch of crap shoot out each hole. Crank it till you stop seeing much spray. When you pull the injectors clean them real good with carb cleaner and look them over for any obvious problems. Reinstall injectors and start bleeding one line at a time. Once you have fuel to them it should fire off. Run for a short while and check for coolant flow in case water pump sheared impeller. After a warm up I would change oil and run for about 50 hours and do it again.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
muleman you've done this before haven't you?

Do you know what a Uni 708 is?

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if you didn't put ulsd in i don't see much need to change out injectors or clean them what i would do is change fuel filters and be prepared to change them several more times after you change out your fuel because the new ulsd is more like a solvent and will loosen up varneshes and other junk in your tank also if you put her into long term storage again run the tank almost dry the new additive packages for diesel can be verry corrosive and be harmful if sittoing for a long time also treeat your fuel with a bioside to kill off any remaining algie in your system up here i start all kinds of equipment that has been put up wrong and a lot of the times i'm using brake fluid too free up the pistions.and running it on what is on the tank just to get it to the road.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don,

I'll be putting in off road fuel that still has the sulphur in it. It should not be much different than the fuel that is in the tank. It has been indoors for these years, but not heated, or cooled.

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Stored indoors? That takes all the rust and fun out of it!:whistling: Should be a lot easier to work on it. The PB is mostly to help free the rings and the lines where they have sat in the cylinder bore. Those Perkins were pretty reliable engines.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The advise given so far is sound.

A couple thoughts I haven't seen.
Has there been fuel in the tank all these years? If so, what does it smell like?
Have you tried to turn it over? Does it turn freely?

I'd also inspect all rubber components to check for cracking (hoses, lines, belts...). If your fuel line is rubber, I'd plan on replacing that. If it doesn't need it, it's still some good preventative maintenance.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Don,

I'll be putting in off road fuel that still has the sulphur in it. It should not be much different than the fuel that is in the tank. It has been indoors for these years, but not heated, or cooled.

Regards, Kirk
down south i would beg to differ just based on the regulations the only thing alowed to use low sulpher now is heating oil and jet engines all motor vehicle fuel is required by law to be ulsd this includes boats operating in the 200 mile waters of the us ulsd will present some problems when converting over one will be rubber lines you may have problems with hoses and lines most importantly for long term storage is that ulsd will clean the pors of your tanks and will also hold water in suspension a lot longer so you can see more water accumulation in your tanks

Trakternut

"Colored" fuel is permissible in any machine NOT used for transport. Tractors, heavy equipment, that sort of thing is allowed to use the off road fuel. The only difference, besides the sulfer, is that the colored fuel has no road tax added to it.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
"Colored" fuel is permissible in any machine NOT used for transport. Tractors, heavy equipment, that sort of thing is allowed to use the off road fuel. The only difference, besides the sulfer, is that the colored fuel has no road tax added to it.
again i would suggest you check with your fuel vendor even if it's dyed it should still be ulsd iaw fedral regulations that goes bck several years for you all in the states it's just now comming in to effect for us out in bush alaska as we were covered by an exemption but as of 20010 all pistion engines have to burn ulsd that same exemption may have covered you all with your off road fuel but the only real difference is the tax structure and dye where required. all you folks using farm fuel should be checking with your fuel companys and see what you are getting also see what type of additives are being added to it all meet sae standrads for lubriticity some just work better than others. if you want to improve on your lubriticity than my suggestion would be 2 stroke oil at at a .05 % mix not to exceed 10% mix because this will make your feul too thick and cause damage to your pressure accumulators in your pump.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I pulled a small bottle of fuel out of the fuel tank today. It is red as it was all those years ago, clear to the eye and smells fine, except not as strong of a smell as fresh fuel....It was a preimium "ruby Fuel" of the day. I don't think I have much to worry about. WIll try and turn it over with a power handle and a socket before I throw in the 8D commercial battery with 1,400 cold cranking amps I got for it this morning. It's the whopper kind with the rope handles on the ends..... Original equiptment for this machine. Seems like plenty for a 352 cube/in. diesel.

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh,
And I will check the wiring over for mouse damage. There is plenty of that to the foam noise insulation that was lining the cab. But at least they left the seat alone. May be it still smell from all those hours of a human butt crack sitting in it.....

Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh,
And I will check the wiring over for mouse damage. There is plenty of that to the foam noise insulation that was lining the cab. But at least they left the seat alone. May be it still smell from all those hours of a human butt crack sitting in it.....

Kirk
the term is plumbers crack or that is what the boys call it

Trakternut

again i would suggest you check with your fuel vendor even if it's dyed it should still be ulsd iaw fedral regulations that goes bck several years for you all in the states it's just now comming in to effect for us out in bush alaska as we were covered by an exemption but as of 20010 all pistion engines have to burn ulsd that same exemption may have covered you all with your off road fuel but the only real difference is the tax structure and dye where required. all you folks using farm fuel should be checking with your fuel companys and see what you are getting also see what type of additives are being added to it all meet sae standrads for lubriticity some just work better than others. if you want to improve on your lubriticity than my suggestion would be 2 stroke oil at at a .05 % mix not to exceed 10% mix because this will make your feul too thick and cause damage to your pressure accumulators in your pump.

I made no mention of sulfer or the lack thereof, merely the tax.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My understanding of the sulfur in off road diesel is that it is a "phased" in approach. 20% less in each two year period, or 100% in ten years. This was done to allow older engines with seasonal use to be run for a good long while yet with no concern. In my back yard practically is a soy bio diesel plant, and the fuel we burn is a 2% soydiesel. Not quite true, as they use animal fats as well in the process. Tests I have seen say it easily provides lubricity at this level. In my 06 Ford 6.0 liter truck I have always ran 1 quart per tank full of fuel of TC3 ashless two stroke motor oil with the fuel. It is quieter when I do this...noticably. So I have kept it up for 110,000 miles with one injector failure.

Thanks for your information, as it may be right. I will have to do some checking to know for sure...

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
until this year we got away with the low sulfer diesel now we are having to go to ulsd the big advantage we have here is we have a learning curve for the conversion you all didn't. but it has been a learning experiance and yes i think that using the biodiesel is a good idea also the 2 cycle oli is the best additive yoy can use in the older engines and injectors are the leaste ofyour worries think aboout the moving parts in your injection pumps another ulsd problem is the fuel cracks at pressures over 30000 psi and pushes a tar type material back in to your tank through the return system tose of you with newer trucks that is why yoour fuel turns dark or black.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well today was the day,

We stuck the battery in and checked the wiring. I don't think it cranked over a full revolution and it was up and running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wow:

Turns out we had parked this rig in 1996 so 14 years ago. We drove it 8 miles without incident (@13 MPH) Black smoke under load accellerating, and you can hear the turbo spool, as it has only about 15" of pipe beyond the Turbocharger. No smoke at high idle and road speed.

Ya, with 4WD and chains, this thing is going to be a snow eater for sure....:brows:

Looks like we can use alot of the frame of the chopper for our snow blower drive...

Know you know the reason to have a diesel generator......14 of them:whistling:

And the damn A/C even workeds pretty good!!!

Later Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is great. Sounds like my Detroit in my dump truck. sits for 6 months or more and barely hit the starter and it pops right off.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lets seee about 25 lbs of oil preasure at idle hot, and 38 lbs of presure at 2400 RPM hot. Does this sound like it is about right?

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It is probably alright. The gauge may work better after you run it and change the oil. Perkins never ran a real high pressure in the old Massey's either but they last a long time.