• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SNOW TRAC snow build-up on sprocket

allias

Hello members, Had my snow trac out for the first time in some serious snow (4 feet). Had a problem similiar to snow building up behind rear wheel that I have read about here. But this problem is at the track sprocket. The snow was building up between the two sprockets and raising the track off the teeth of the sprocket. I cleaned it out once and it filled right back up. Left it on the trail :unsure: I was concerned about breaking axel shaft. Has anyone had a similiar problem? Thanks

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hello members, Had my snow trac out for the first time in some serious snow (4 feet). Had a problem similiar to snow building up behind rear wheel that I have read about here. But this problem is at the track sprocket. The snow was building up between the two sprockets and raising the track off the teeth of the sprocket. I cleaned it out once and it filled right back up. Left it on the trail :unsure: I was concerned about breaking axel shaft. Has anyone had a similiar problem? Thanks

go get a kids roll up plastic sled and cut a strip to fit between the sprockets
overlap the ends and rivet them together. that should solve it :brows:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
seems to me we had one here once that had a plate between on the backside
to also nock it out if it built up narrower than the sprockets and did not touch

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
You need the snow chute installed. This keeps the snow flowing away from the inner workings and not allowing it to build up. LYNDON has a few threads dedicated to this. Search all of LYNDONS threads and you will find it.

allias

Just got back from upstate. Could not find any roll-up sleds,so I picked up some 40 mils pvc shower pan to use. It seems the sprocket loads up only when I am backing up.Got it back in the barn will work on it next weekend. My snow trac is a 1969 big wheel and does not have any rubber inserts. Is the snow chute your refering to for snow buildup at the rear wheel? Thanks for the input.

AKdadio

Aside from preventing snow buildup...when in doubt, loosen the track tension some until you get out of the heavy buildup conditions. When tensioning bolts are lub'd and used often this is really easy. Also put flaps over back set of bogies.