• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombi sprocket hub installation question.

indy1

What is the proper procedure for installing the sprocket hub on the axle tube on a 1979 bombardier bombi? Are there torque specs for the bearing retaining ring and locknut?

snowbird

I'm planning on putting new seals and bearings in the sprocket hub of my Bombardier SkiDozer this afternoon. I don't know if the Bombi is the same. If Boggie reads your post, he could likely help. One thing you'll need if your situation is like mine is a special tool for removing and/or tightening the lock nut and outer seal carrier. They've got four slots around their perimeter for turning them on or off the axle tube (the tool will have to fit inside the sprocket hub). If you've got an owners manual, you could see the order of parts. If not, carefully label the parts as you remove them and notice how they were positioned on the axle tube. I made my "special" tool by finding a pipe the same outside diameter as the locking nut and welding four lengths of 1/4 inch key stock on the outside of that pipe to match the spacing on the locking nut.
Good luck.

indy1

Just wondering how much to back off the retaining ring, after the bearings start to drag. Is a quarter turn to much? I was able to buy the proper tools from an auto parts store.

snowbird

I'll check my owner's manual, but I don't know if torque specifications are listed. My opinion would be to back it off only enough to get the lockwasher tab into the nearest available slot on the lock nut.

indy1

Well I removed the bearings from the hub and found the inside tapered bearing's cup was shimmed .020". Just wondering how do you know how much shim to put back, if any? I have attached pictures. The first pic is of the cup (race) and the two .010" brass shims. Thanks again for all the input...

Attachments

• pic 036b.jpg
    pic 036b.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 334
  • pic 037b.jpg
    pic 037b.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 338
  • pic 038b.jpg
    pic 038b.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 344

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Indy1 of all the ones we have had apart none have had shims. the main thing would be to make sure you can get the tapered roller bearings snug not tight to tight is worse than loose. :shifty: