• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Age and cost proofing your home ???

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Does anyone do this ?

I am trying to design my home so it will outlive me at minimum repair investment needed in the future . I see repair cost climbing every year !!! Here is what I have done .

All water lines are Insulated / and heat taped . Electrical is all current code with "Long LIfe" low energy bulbs . Hot water is supplied by a tankless gas system that saves 40+ percent on energy cost . House is wrapped on inside and out with a Tyvek vapor barrier under the siding and sheetrock . So are the floors . I use maybe 1 1/2 - 2 cords of wood a year total . Backup is two gas 99% efficient gas heaters that require no electric to run . Back up power is now a 12000 watt generator . Roof is all metal .

What concerns me is I see seniors on fixed incomes and prices on everything keeps climbing . I want a place that is efficient and low cost to maintain . Last thing I want to do is worry about weather to fix the house or eat dog food . I watch and see many seniors keep cutting cost to survive as their retirement funds no longer cover the basic needs .

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Just promise to sell your soul (vote) to the dems, and you'll be taken care of for life. It's a simple, effective plan that's worked for decades. You'll be eating steak and caviar by mid-week.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Just promise to sell your soul (vote) to the dems, and you'll be taken care of for life. It's a simple, effective plan that's worked for decades. You'll be eating steak and caviar by mid-week.

No Thanks . Dog food taste pretty good if you heat it first :biggrin:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, when push comes to shove, just pitch the old moral compass and cave to the special interests who'll take good care of you. The dems have been doing it forever. All this honesty and morality is hard work. Just lie and cheat your way into old age, and the gubmit will reward you.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Al, in answer to your question - when building the house I went with minimal maintenance materials.
Steel roof, stucco and hardipanel siding, hardwood and tile floors, etc...
lots of insulation, pex for water "pipes", propane heat, hot water, and stove -- and with 4 adults and an infant in the house, we only used about 400 gallons of propane last year.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I know our place will outlast me without needing major repairs. It is pretty efficient all things considered and we live comfortably. I sure don't expect to outlive the 40 year shingles or the pex plumbing. The outside has 1" foam board around the foundation and we have 6" side wall insulation with R40+ in the attic. We maintain 75-77 temp year round with no trouble.