• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tractors & hearing protection

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sort of torn on hearing protection while riding on my tractor.

When I know I am going to be working the machine for a while I tend to stuff in a set of foam ear plugs typically used on the shooting range, they work great. But listening to nothing gets pretty boring.

I have a set of high end "noise canceling' earphones for listening to my iPod but they do not cover my entire ear so they would not work well for tractor use. I'm considering buying a set of the BOSE noise canceling units, or possibly a set of shooting muffs that offer the same function, but have an input jack for an iPod or a radio.

Do the BOSE units actually reduce the sound of the tractor's engine or do they simply mask it and then play music over the top of that?

Has anyone used any of the electronic shooters muffs that have an aux-input for using a radio? I have electronic shooters muffs and love them for shooting, but neither of my current pairs has an aux-input jack to connect up to a radio/ipod/etc. I know those would actually, and dramatically, reduce the noise level from the tractor engine.

Thoughts?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't listen to music when using equipment but have a pair of ear muffs (like you would use for shooting) that have a jack for an iPod or whatever. They're probably 15 years old and I don't think they were expensive. They're not the electronic or noise canceling version.

My daughter strapped on the backpack blower the other day and used those. She seemed to like it and said she could hear the music easily and clearly.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Long stints I wear noise-canceling head phones with my mp3 player. I can't remember the brand name (not Boze) but the are higher-end. Works good for me.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Long stints I wear noise-canceling head phones with my mp3 player. I can't remember the brand name (not Boze) but the are higher-end. Works good for me.

Could you fill us in on what they are next time your out in that new shop? I tried using my expensive ones that I use on my bike and they don't work at all. I would like to buy some that would cancel the noise. Bllutooth would even be great.

My dad would be pissed if he knew I am doing this. As a kid he didn't allow us to have any music in the trucks or tractors. His view was we can't hear things going bad or changes in noises that typically tell ya that something is wrong. He can't hear too well and neither can I.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
These are the ones I'm considering. Expensive, but not really priced any different than a set of Bose headphones, and would also work while shooting too, which the Bose are not suitable for.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat20801&hasJS=true

These are the highest-rated muffs for very high-noise environments. They feature Dynamic-Level Sound Compression™ technology with Automatic Gain Control™ that amplifies softer sounds up to 70dB. 50dB of gain can increase hearing up to eight times more than normal. Hunters can turn up the gain to hear soft sounds in the woods in stereo and still have protection from loud noises without the annoying hissing sound. The Gold Series offers the first built-in microprocessor. It provides onboard diagnosis and supports new features like automatic shutoff, audible battery meter and the cleanest, most natural sound in hearing protection (eliminates 80% of white noise). A 3.5mm input jack allows you to listen to AM/FM radios, CD players, MP3 players and FRS radios. This modular unit has a comfortable, padded, adjustable headband. Included batteries provide 300 hours of continuous operation. Noise reduction rating (NRR) of 33dB. Five-year warranty Made in USA.

Weight: 14.6 oz.

Colors: Black, Green.

s7_229806_371_02

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
A little bit too expensive for my pocket book Bob. They sure do look nice though. Amazon has them a bit less.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ears-Electronic-Protection-Amplification/dp/B001RMWO9A/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1283126593&sr=1-12"]Amazon[/ame]

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Could you fill us in on what they are next time your out in that new shop? I tried using my expensive ones that I use on my bike and they don't work at all. I would like to buy some that would cancel the noise. Bllutooth would even be great.

My dad would be pissed if he knew I am doing this. As a kid he didn't allow us to have any music in the trucks or tractors. His view was we can't hear things going bad or changes in noises that typically tell ya that something is wrong. He can't hear too well and neither can I.

Audio-Technica ATH ANC7 QuietPoint - headphones

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I don't listen to music while I am tractoring so I use these and have been pleased with them.

Attachments

• stihl.jpg
    stihl.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 26

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought maybe 4 pair of Boise. Don't care for them on the tractor.I use the muffs then. Just doesn't talke enough diesel noise out.But on my side x side I wouldn't be without them. They cut the engine noise but you still can hear trouble , like a stick cought on the underside.
Wife uses hers on the riding mower.We even used them on the 3hr jet ride to ak.
Something broke loose inside on one pair and they gave me a new one. One other made a clicking sound when you hit a bump or tapped your finger on one side,but they were a few years old and had lots of hrs on them. I dont think they recoment side x side type of use. Wished I could fit them in my motocycle helmet. I am not much of a headphone music guy so I dont bother with that part of them.
I also bought a $40 pair at the drugstore .They work but the long wire with batteries is a hassel. The over the ear style of boise is what I have.
Jim