• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

driveway announcer system

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had a wireless driveway announcer system I got from Lowes (made by GE) for about two years. It has stopped working and I need to replace it.
Does anyone have one they would recommend to replace this system?

Thanks!
Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very interesting. It has more range than the one I bought at lowes a couple of years ago.
Do you get other false alarms besides the ones when your mowing?

With it so close to the road I'd be concerned about false alarms from big trucks or cars just passing by.

How long have you had yours?
The price sure looks right, thats about what I paid for the broken one I currently own.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The transmitter is mounted on the back of the mailbox post and the drive curls around behind the mailbox so the only alarms are from something on my property. I've had a few falses from deer and the neighbor's lab. but it always has been some object crossing the beam. It is really sensitive, usually get two rings from a semi as it counts the cab and then the trailer.

I've had it a little over a year which means the transmitter battery will go dead today :D the receiver unit has a wall wart and a 9v backup battery.

The transmitter is green. I painted it white with some spray paint that is made for plastic so it blended in with the white mailbox post.

there is provision for monitoring a second transmitter and I plan to add that for the back road into our place.

Jim

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw that you can add up to 4 transmitters. And it looks like they are about 40 bucks each. I like that.

Did you wire it to your door bell for hearing it throughout the house? The receiver does have a sound mechanism of its own I'm guessing.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It has a buzzer in the box that you can turn off or on. It also has a set of normally open contacts that close when an alarm is sounded. I wired these to the back doorbell contacts.

Jim

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
BIMP

Any update Doc? Did you settle on a device?

I am probably going to purchase this unit for our property. What I really like is it can have up to four sensors, each with a different chime, plus multiple receivers so I can have one in the house and another in the barn.

And it's also Made in the U.S.A. :flagusa:

dway-di2000.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That unit looks nice Dave.

I bought the Northern Tool one in the link above. At first it worked like a charm. Now it works when it feels like it. Very random. I'd about given up on it, then today it actually worked. But tomorrow is another day.
I put in two units because I have an L shaped drive. I have vehicles that go to the oil well every week, and they go straight at the L this way when the announcer goes off twice, I know they are coming to the house. The one closest to the house failed early on. Now the one farthest from the house will work one or two days a week. I sure would like something that was more dependable.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We purchased the Northern Tool units with the built in speaker a couple months ago. They have worked great except I am unable to talk to get the moose that passes through the gate to talk back to me. I wonder what I am doing wrong? :yum:

Doc, you may want to reset and redirect each sensor unit and make sure they are aimed properly at the distance you need to monitor. Mine will fail to signal if the engine on the snow machine is cold and you go through the gate fast enough. Most of the time they work great except for the moose talking back to me. :yum: