• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier Skidozer Track Question

Smiler

Hello I just purchased a Bombardier Skidozer and have a few questions if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

• I have attached photos, but know very little about the machine. I’m told that it has a ford Industrial 300 straight six with a C6 Transmission. Does anyone where to find the year and the model on the machine?
  • Currently it has 41 inch tracks that are too wide to trailer so I’m looking for advice on cutting the track. Do I have to cut equal amount off both side, or can I just cut off the outside section?

Thank you

Attachments

• test4.JPG
    test4.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,289

brianf

instead of cutting down tracks, you should look around for a set of used 29 inch tracks, never know when you might want the floatation of wide tracks

Smiler

That is one option, but if I only need to cut one side I can keep more on the snow than 29”.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Boggie will have the correct tracks for your machine. It would be a travesty of trackdum to cut down the tracks! I know BOGGIE is out hunting so give him some time to respond.

Smiler

I’m new to the forum so thanks for the info… I think it would be nice keep the tracks as 41’s and find a set of 29’s to rebuild.

After doing some more research I think my skidozer is a 250 so I would assume that the engine is a 250 CI and not a 300 CI as I was told.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
The manufacturer's # plate on my Skidozer is on the inside above the driver's door. I believe that the year is digits 4 and 5 but I'm not 100% sure.
There is another # stamped on the tub/frame on the front outside below the passenger's feet.
Mine is a 1977. Your's is an earlier model ... '71?

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum !!

Smiler

I have no plate inside, but I did find numbers where you said outside “SV250S430” So I would definitely say that this is a 250 any idea what the rest identifies? Also I’m now thinking that the front attachment is original (I see yellow paint under the red). The hydraulic connection on the front, rear, and the 6 way valve in the cab are all original?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
The hydraulic connections on the front of yours looks factory. The blade framework is similar to other years/models so it's likely to be factory/original controls and fittings.

Don't know what the rest of the ID # means.... I haven't found them very useful.....

kgracey

Hey Smiler, I also saw that machine on CL in Reno/Tahoe. Whatever you paid you got a good price! It sold pretty quickly and the other one looked a bit wasted.

As for the tracks, don't cut 'em. That would be a one-way trip the wrong direction and you may seriously impact the usefullness of the machine. Do you really save much with 29" tracks considering the sprocket and idlers are in the same position? I calculate that you'd save about a foot of width. Where do you want to take the machine near Tahoe to use it? You'll appreciate 41" tracks in my view, having owned a wider machine.

- Ken

Smiler

I plan to trailer the cat to the snow when I use it so I need to get the width down to 8.5’. I live in the Placerville area so the best place for me would be in the Tahoe area or up 88. I really have not though too much about where I going to take it. I still can’t believe I have it… I called on it and got it for so much less than it was listed for I had to jump on it. I’m now going through the bearings, tires, tracks, and working up from there to make it dependable.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you're only going to move it every now and then and not during storms just get an overwidth permit. The couple hundred bucks for the permit would save alot of work and machine performance. Whats the with on that thing, 9'6"?

Smiler

It’s currently 9’3”… I will have to move it on a trailer every time I use it hopefully 6-12 times per year. I either need to find some 29” tracks or cut mine. I know that it is getting under everyone’s skin when I say I may cut the tracks. The only reason I would do that over getting some 29” tracks is if I can cut just the out section of the tracks leaving the inside five inches longer. I saw a Lite Foot cat with tacks that where not centered, but the long section was the outer part

kgracey

Right. If you see asymetrical tracks the longer part is not on the inside of the idlers, but the outside. It's going to look really wonky if you cut the outter part down and leave more track on the inside of the tracks. My Skidozer was 11.5' and I found it perfect for the sierra snow (I live by Tahoe City). Narrower is also fine for Sierra Cement, though.

You can do whatever you want with the machine, of course, but most people on this particular forum like to see them preserved in some way that reflects the original design (which also works best most of the time, too).

kgracey

By the way, what kind of shape is the body in? Did it have much rust? How did the welds look underneath and how many hours does it have?

Smiler

The hour meter shows 853… The engine runs strong and smooth. It drives and has very little rust, but needs wiring help and a good going over. The only surprise was at some point the front left track was hit hard and the fount torsion bar has been rubbing its support. This explains why the previous owner said it road rougher than his other cat. During this hard hit I think it may have caused the tracks to jump, because the frame is pushed in (just the center portion) an inch and half for about 2 feet. The engine mount and transmission mount are still fine just the frame in pushed in a bit before and after the engine mount.

kgracey

Sounds pretty good. I have been looking for an SV252, so let me know if you decide you want to sell it for any reason in the future. I won't want it if the tracks are cut, though :). Somebody else will, especially if it's their first machine. I could use it to continue my logging project.

kgracey

Sure. Check with forum member Boggie. That's your best bet, but he's in MN so there will be shipping charges.

Smiler

I have been trying to buy a set of rebuildable tracks and have found a few, but all the sets that would work are $800 to $900. I just can’t spend as much on used track as I did on my cat so I think I’m going to cut 41’s. I know this is not a popular decision, but the numbers just don’t support any other choice. I have seen asymmetrical tracks on the outside, but will it cause a problem with the longer section on the inside? The inside section of track would be 5 inches longer than the outside. I know it may look a bit off, but it seams like it would be worth it.

I have also noticed that the br250 came stock with the inside section of the track longer.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a SV 301 Skidozer once that originally had a 4 belt track where the previous owner had removed the outer belt and brought the staggered grousers in making the tracks asymmetrical sort of like what you want to do. To make it work at all he had 4" timber wired to the frame so the inside of the track was supported where it drooped down which was pretty lame. I didn't trust this setup beyond on and off the trailer and returned the track to full width. Notice too that all the cut down wide track Thiokols you see are cut both inside and outside. Maybe 2 belt tracks work better when cut just on the outside. I wonder if factory asymmetrial tracks don't have a little tighter hole pattern for the belt on the narrow side. Somewhere in this forum there was this same discussion with some guy back east with a 252 that was going to cut his tracks like you want to. Might look through the posts and contact him to see if he still thinks it was a good idea.