• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New "ORANGE " part II

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well a couple days ago i posted a tucker trailer i picked up ,needs some new skis,running boards and drawbar straightened. Now i guess i got to tell the rest of the story. The trailer came with a pretty nice Tucker "TORPEDO" !!!!:wink::wink: I got the trailer home ,and a few days later i got the "TORPEDO" home. I made an offer on these quite a while ago and i didn't think the owner was very interested in selling, from the time i made the offer ,a huge hard maple tree fell over missing the Tucker by about 1'!!!! the crown and limbs fanning out behind it. The tree was about 24" diameter it would have flattened the cat.I stopped by last week for a visit and saw the tree down and couldnt believe it missed the machine. I asked the owner then about selling and he said he guessed he would, later on he said "i think God was telling me to sell it !!!!!:ermm::ermm: regardless it now resides in my backyard. The builders plate is missing,bummer but it has a lower engine number then my other machine.Supposedly they both came from Attitash ski area in Bartlett,but Attitash wasn't built until 1964,but the guy that built Attitash came from Cranmore ,so maybe Cranmore bought these new?????? heres a few pics of the "TORPEDO"

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Na,It will be running and a few things fixed up, patina you know!!! got to deal with a missing gas tank issue first. I got to get the ski issue done for the torpedo and trailer also!!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
More jealous!

This pic is on echo lake Franconia.

Could it be?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 579

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I have that original picture, and as much as i would like to believe it was the same one, i dont think it is. The windshield is a bit different, and the one in the cover doesn't have axle nut covers.The one i got has cast iron covers with a grease fitting for the outboard bearing.It also appears to have a chevrolet truck steering wheel and gauges. :biggrin: I am a Chevy fan also !!!

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have that original picture, and as much as i would like to believe it was the same one, i dont think it is. The windshield is a bit different, and the one in the cover doesn't have axle nut covers.The one i got has cast iron covers with a grease fitting for the outboard bearing.It also appears to have a chevrolet truck steering wheel and gauges. :biggrin: I am a Chevy fan also !!!

I'm thinking the gauges are 40's Dodge truck http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...gauges&qpvt=1946+dodge+truck+gauges&FORM=IGRE

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And your windshield has definitely been modified after the fact to accommodate the roof.

From everything I have found online, Cranmore early on only ran the 443's. So it probably didn't make the move from there. So, there could still be the outside chance it came over from Cannon & had the caps added afterwards to make greasing easier and cleaner??

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Scott, The gauges do look like the ones in the second picture,guess dodge truck ,with chevy wheel. the roof just sits on the top of the windshield but the windshield has definitely been pushed forward on the top,probably from snow sitting on it,it has been out in the weather for years.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Scott, The gauges do look like the ones in the second picture,guess dodge truck ,with chevy wheel. the roof just sits on the top of the windshield but the windshield has definitely been pushed forward on the top,probably from snow sitting on it,it has been out in the weather for years.

fyi, the gauges are from dodge truck late 30's to early 40's, have several machines with this gauges sets in them

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I have been examining the "ECHO LAKE" photo and believe that my machine and the the one in the photo are probably the same one,with later modifications.On my machine the steering pulleys have been moved to the front of the radiator ,they are mounted on a piece of flatstock.if you look at the picture you can see the stud behind the radiator that the pulley should mounted on.There is also a layer of red paint under this last coat of orange ,and i was told at one time Cannon painted there stuff red for a few years.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Red seems right for cannon. Current cable tram is red nicknamed "ketchup" yellow tram "mustard "

Ketchup Tucker mustard trailer . Works

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I hunted high and low for any indication of a builders plate,and the only thing i can find is the engine s/n T142-3459 with a star behind it. That number is earlier then in my 1949 422 model.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
and my torpedo did not have the ID tag either, my serial number is 149057 and yours is 149058, and your 422 is 148059, great to see that these tuckers, all built at the same time have survived, i did make up some very exact reproduction ID tags. and most interesting is just how many 1949 tucker still exist, amazing

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
How many torpedos were made and how many do you think exist out in the world still?

Would love to add one to the collection.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
the answer is 9, model 420, with the dodge truck grill nose, built from 1949 to 1953, and then there was the torpedo with canopy, model 421, 5 of those where constructed, and just 1 of the model 321, same as a 421. the 420 and 421 & 321 were the same frame and body panels, with the 421 & 321 having a roof added. Gregg - sno cat of NH, bought 4 of the torpedos

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
oh, you asked, how many left, i believe there are 7 of the torpedos out there and 4 of the 5 torpedo with canopy, and 1 of 1 of the 321 exist, also, there were 7 pre '49 torpedos built, of which, 5 of the 7 exist. with no torpedos built in either '47 or '48

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
"WOW" thats a lot of neat info on the old cats!!! I did get the torpedo running today ,on 3 cylinders !:biggrin::biggrin: so in the near future ,"OF WITH ITS HEAD "!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
oh, you asked, how many left, i believe there are 7 of the torpedos out there and 4 of the 5 torpedo with canopy, and 1 of 1 of the 321 exist, also, there were 7 pre '49 torpedos built, of which, 5 of the 7 exist. with no torpedos built in either '47 or '48

there were 9 torpedos built between '49-'53, with 7 surviving torpedos

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Good thing they are aluminum shelled! If they were made of sheet steel i know the two machines i have that basically were stored outside, would be nothing but rusty hulks.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I took the head off today and had 3 stuck exhaust valves, i worked on getting them free for a couple hours and had no luck. I then took the exhaust and intake manifolds off,and the tappet sidecovers. I will take off the valve springs and get them out tomorrow. We just got a O,Brians auto parts locally in the last month, they didnt have a complete gasket set for the 218 c.i. engine,but it will be there at 8 o'clock tomorrow morning !!!!!:clap::clap:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I been working on the torpedo and my 422 a bit pretty much done,except the skis.Made a rear deck and new slats in the rear seat,also made up a new gas tank,the deck covers a toolbox and gs tank so people wont have to walk on them to set down.Heres a few pictures of two consecutive tuckers,s/n 149058 model 420 owned by Cannon mtn, and s/n149059 model 422 bought by Waterville inn and used in Waterville valley. The s/n info was thanks to Jinn"glacierparkbus".

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice. Looking forward to snow and our first Tucker rally up your way.

We need to get after the ohrv to give us some space to expand this historic interest hobby/preservation in the state of nh.

I'll start the email.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Dave,The tracks are real good !!!!:biggrin: bearings and rails nice and square, tracks are real tight on the pontoons, i spent a few hours the other day and greased all the rollers !! Im waiting on a carb rebuild kit at the moment supposed to be here monday,the accelerator pump cup is shot.Trailbuilder is working on getting use permits.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You will have to be on the look out for this machine to add to your collection.

Attachments

• tramway.jpg
    tramway.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 398
  • tramway2.jpg
    tramway2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 396