• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Unique Enjoyable Sandwiches!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Well this is to whet your appetite for the upcoming Food Forum. But I have had all of these sandwiches and most were very good. So why did I put them out of my mind and forget about them? :confused:

9- Po' Boy

59133-1.jpg

Some people would look at a Po' boy sandwich and say that it's just a submarine sandwich, but it's so much more than that. This staple of the Louisiana diet consists meat or seafood (even alligator), lettuce, tomato, pickles, mayonnaise, and onions on a baguette. The seafood is usually battered and fried so take note before you order.

8- Gyro

59133-2.jpg

My big, fat, expanded waistline is demanding some answers. If you've ever had a good Gyro, you would understand. This Greek fast food is exotic, yet truly appealing to American taste buds. It consists of meat-usually chicken or lamb-roasted on a vertical rotisserie that is stuffed into a wrapped pita. If you go for the works, the toppings are usually tomatoes, onions, lettuce, French fries, and tzatziki sauce. (If you must know, tzatziki sauce is usually made of strained yogurt, cucumbers, garlic, olive oil, and garlic.)
7- Dagwood

59133-3.jpg

There are no hard rules about what goes into a Dagwood sandwich (shown above, sideways.). The only requirements are that it must be thick and multi-layered with meats, cheeses, and condiments. Named after Dagwood Bumstead of the comic strip Blondie, this tall wonder never caught on with real people--even in the 1990s when super-sizing was the norm. Now that eating is out of style, this sandwich will undoubtedly die a slow death. What a delicious shame.
6- Banh Mi

59133-4.jpg

There is a saying in that when the English colonized India, they left behind a great infrastructure; and that when the French colonized South East Asia, they left behind great bread. That ain't no lie! The Banh Mi is a Vietnamese sandwich that usually consists of a variety of meats like grilled pork, grilled chicken and pate; then topped with pickled carrots, daikon, onions, and cilantro. This is not your average All-American sandwich. Proceed if you consider yourself an adventurous gourmand.
5- Sloppy Joe

59133-5.jpg

"H.K. Heinz in Pittsburgh says their research at the Carnegie Library suggests that the Sloppy Joe began in a Sioux City, Iowa, cafe as a 'loose meat sandwich' in 1930, the creation of a cook named Joe... Since ground meat, stretched as best as possible, was a staple throughout the depression, we will credit the creation of the sloppy joe to the general spirit of all people who use their imagination to make food taste good without cost." Good luck finding it at a restaurant, as even the cleanest eater is going to end up with plenty of bits of beef and sauce on their face.
4- Fluffernutter

59133-6.jpg

Most folks consider sandwiches strictly grounds for savory ingredients, but if the Fluffernutter is any indication, there's more to sweet sandwiches than just PB&J. The mixture of peanut butter and marshmallow creme is popular in the Northeast, but a unknown entity elsewhere. If you actually find a supermarket with Marshmallow Fluff on the shelves, we highly recommend whipping up a Fluffernutter for yourself.
3- Falafel

59133-7.jpg

Falafel is the national street food of Israel and the whole middle east. It is served in a pita, dressed with tahini sauce and smothered in a variety of add-ons. One may find chopped salad, pickled vegetables, even the fiery Yemenite condiment called zhug. Every Falafel stand has its own style. Some people love it topped with sauerkraut ("like me," says Elinoar Moore), wedges of tomato and tahini. Hot pepper may also be sprinkled on top.
2- Torta

59133-8.jpg

This Mexican delight is quite unique. It's served on an oblong roll called a telera and stuffed in almost any variety your stomach could lust after, depending on where you order it. Most places will offer beef, ham, turkey, and sausage with a chipolte mayonnaise sauce; then you can get it topped with avocado, cheese, lettuce, tomato and onions. It's a hot sandwich and they usually warm the bread and sauce up on the grill before serving it up.
1- Croque Monsieur & Croque Madame

59133-9.jpg

Bonjour Coronary heart disease! There are no veggies in this French import. The Croque Monsieur is a straightforward ham and cheese sandwich, grilled and topped with more cheese. (Not for the lactose intolerant!) If you want to live on the edge-the edge of a heart attack-then go for a Croque Madame, which is basically a Croque Monsieur topped with an egg. Au revoir, appetite!

P

Pigtails

I really like gyros..I always ask for extra tzatziki sauce. We had sloppy Joes last night.. yummm.. Now one that I want to try is the Fluffernutter. Couldn't be anymore sweeter than the PBJ toasted.. Good one Sushi:)

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Fried PB&J..............just like a grilled cheese sandwich is made. But be careful, the filling gets hot

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I like fried banana and peanut butter.. oh my.. heaven.
Didn't Elvis like those? lol

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Slushi, now after reading about all these great sandwich delights, I am hungry and can't get Pigtails off the computer to cook...:yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Slushi, now after reading about all these great sandwich delights, I am hungry and can't get Pigtails off the computer to cook...:yum:
pssssssssst Pigtails- slap him a ham and cheese together and shove it in his hand.
He'll be fine.. lol

P

Pigtails

No, he gets a salad now.. Just for giving me a bad time...hehe..(actually that is what he asked for).. You see we had home made chili today.. it was good on a snowy day..

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
No, he gets a salad now.. Just for giving me a bad time...hehe..(actually that is what he asked for).. You see we had home made chili today.. it was good on a snowy day..
Oh yeah.. I love soups and bread when it's cold outside.
(Right now here in Ohio we're having weird weather):smileywac

Here's a soup recipe that I love, but I use vegetarian meat granuals- you can use sausage, hamburger or whatever.
1 lg can of V8
browned meat
1 packet of brown gravy mix
2 cans of mixed vegetables
1/2 head of chopped cabbage

I add a little water to it to make it soupy because it tends to be too thick if I don't.

A friend has made it and she said using Bob Evan's bulk maple flavored sausage was a big hit with her family.

Anyway.. I am off topic.. this is supposed to be all about the sandwich.. lol

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Chili on a cold day: perfect! Especially if it's hot enough to burn the hair off your chest and grow it back in the next spoonful!
Of course, my wife doesn't encourage it too often :fart2:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh yeah.. I love soups and bread when it's cold outside.
(Right now here in Ohio we're having weird weather):smileywac

Here's a soup recipe that I love, but I use vegetarian meat granuals- you can use sausage, hamburger or whatever.
1 lg can of V8
browned meat
1 packet of brown gravy mix
2 cans of mixed vegetables
1/2 head of chopped cabbage

I add a little water to it to make it soupy because it tends to be too thick if I don't.

A friend has made it and she said using Bob Evan's bulk maple flavored sausage was a big hit with her family.

Anyway.. I am off topic.. this is supposed to be all about the sandwich.. lol

Sandwiches....what sandwiches? :yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Someone help me here.
When I was a kid, I spent many a summer in Terre Haute, Indiana at my grandparents.
Grams used to make these little sandwiches.
She'd chop up hotdogs or balogna in a bowl, then mix in mayo.
She'd put that in a hotdog bun, add cheese on, then wrap in foil and put in the oven until they were all melty and toasty.
WHAT ARE THEY CALLED??
There is a name for them, but it escapes me at the moment.
Anyone?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It's a cutesy name like dirty or messy or something.
Bah! my memory is terrible these days

Reaper497

Young Buck
Site Supporter
I don't think I have ever heard of a Torta, but it looks amazing.....:thumb:

I'll have to admit, I never really was a big fan of Sloppy Joe's... :eek:

:cool2: Nice one Sushi!

P

Pigtails

Someone help me here.
When I was a kid, I spent many a summer in Terre Haute, Indiana at my grandparents.
Grams used to make these little sandwiches.
She'd chop up hotdogs or balogna in a bowl, then mix in mayo.
She'd put that in a hotdog bun, add cheese on, then wrap in foil and put in the oven until they were all melty and toasty.
WHAT ARE THEY CALLED??
There is a name for them, but it escapes me at the moment.
Anyone?

I don't know PG, but that sounds like a great sand for my grand children.. They love hotdogs. :thumb:

Abby

Has anyone tried putting Miracle Whip on a grilled cheese sandwich before putting in the skillet? My grandmother always made her grilled cheese sandwiches with MW and the first time I made it for my husband he loved it! Now he doesn't eat grilled cheese without it!

P

Pigtails

That's the only way I'll eat my toasted cheese sands. I usually put MW on both sides and 2 slices of cheese. yum