• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spring Snow Storm In The Big Horn Mtns

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We finally got some of the snow away from the house and went out to play in the snow cats yesterday. The first pic is the snow by my deck. The ground was almost bare of snow on Monday when we left for Billings. I shoveled and shoveled for two days to clear this area before we went out and played in the Snotrac yesterday. This was one of the larger snow storms in many years and brings our yearly moisture content back to almost normal for the winter.:snow2_smi:

New Snow At Home.JPG

SnoTrac 1.JPG

SnoTrac 2.JPG

SnoTrac 3.JPG

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Here are some more pics of the SnoTrac. This is the first time I have been able to really use the Tracmaster in good and deep snow.
SnoTrac 4.JPG

SnoTrac 5.JPG

We also went out for several hours around home in the VMC yesterday. As you can see in the pics our mountain area is very open with many large open meadows and hills to play on. We had most of it to ourselves and really had a great time just cruising around the mountain. Jan took these two pics from inside as we were moving.
VMC Front Window Looking At Peaks.JPG

VMC Back Window Tracks.JPG

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
More pics from yesterday in the VMC.

VMC Climbing
VMC Front View Climbing.JPG

VMC Looking Back While Climbing
VMC Climbing Looking Back.JPG

VMC As The Fog Rolled In
VMC In The Fog.JPG

VMC Sidehilling
VMC Playing On Side Hill.JPG

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Now that you have has a chance to get out and play what are your impressions? How did the Trac Master do? I was not trully aware of the capability of my Snow Master until we got dumped on with 8 feet of fresh champaigne powder. The Snow master just kept going and going and going. Looks like your snow was a bit firmer by how far each snowcat is going into the snow. I have had that or one of those VMCs in fresh powder above the tracks as we were heading to one of the microwave sites. Great machines.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Yesterday was a mixed bag of rain, sleet, snow, and more freezing fog. We went out with the 1200 LMC in the afternoon with about 5 inches of new snow on top of the prior storm. We spent about 4 hours putting the LMC through all types of conditions. As usual it did not disappoint us. It will do everything asked of it and more. :thumb: We dropped into some steep canyons and climbed right straight back out without any problems.:snow2_smi: Jan refused to get out and take pictures on the steep slopes. :yum: Maybe she did not trust the driver.:drink: We also ventured up a valley with a small creek that was on a north slope with about 6 foot of powder. In a couple of places, I just had to let the 1200 LMC take what ever path it wanted and did not use hardly any brakes/steering effort for fear of sinking to the bottom. :4_11_9: It was just another great day of snow catting the Big Horn Mtns.
LMC 1.JPG

LMC 2.JPG

LMC 3.JPG

LMC 4.JPG

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ditto, Great Pics. That is one awesome machine you have there. I love the action shots. Beautiful!!!!!!! :thumb:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
It has been snowing most of last night and all day today. I went out and took a few pics of what our spring storms are bringing. I would guess we have received almost 2 foot more since the big storm last week and that includes 10+ inches or more since yesterday. It is going to take the snowshoes to get around where we do not have trails packed down now. :snow2_smi: Mother Nature is making up for the dry cool winter with a lot of wet spring snow. We will have snow on the ground into June this year if this keeps up.

Front Yard Snow
Front Yard Snow 04-06-07.JPG

LMC Parked In Driveway
LMC 1200 Rear.JPG

Our Other Over The Snow Transportation
Polaris Long Tracks.JPG

VMC Parked In Driveway
VMC Parked.JPG

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Global Warming. Yup. Thats it. Nice pictures. Glad its not snowing here. Wait did I just say that? Anyway I love this weather "I" am having so I can get my Snow Master rebuilt! Keep the pictures comming!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We finalized the purchase of another mountain property today. We took the VMC to the property late today for a ride and to check out the new snow. The property is a great view location with about 1/2 timbered and 1/2 open meadow. It is located about 1/2 mile from our current home. It has continued snowing all day and we have received over 12 inches of new snow now since last night. :snow2_smi: Where was all of this snow earlier this winter when I was begging. Now I hope Mother Nature turns off the facet soon or at least before the 4th of July. :yum:

The Snow Cat Is A Tight Fit Down Into The Creek To The North
Snow Cat Trail North Side Of Property.JPG

Checking Out The Snow At The New Property
VMC Hesse Mtn Lot 1.JPG

VMC Hesse Mtn 2.JPG

VMC Hesse Mtn 3.JPG

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
What a difference at the new property since March 22nd when we took the last two pics in this series. The new property has a complete view of the Hazelton and Hesse Mountain peak area of the Big Horn Mountains. The new snow in the past 10 days is unbelievable after such a dry cool winter with very little snow.
VMC Hesse Mtn 4.JPG

VMC Hesse Mtn 5.JPG

Looking West From Front Of Cabin Site.JPG

West View From Cabin Site.JPG

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Great pictures Mtntopper does this mean you will sell me your old property now? remember I did not find old Cooper's stash like you:yum: You would be proud went to pick up a 1200C that we bought the other day and we loaded it backward and I still put a bungie cord on the doors just in your name :rolleyes: The part that made me a little upset was that someone had stolen 3 of the wheels/tires since our purchase lucky that we have extras here.:moon: So we talked them into a 12 man cab from a Bombardier that was at the Goverment site it also has duel 8 foot bench seats that he through in. :applause: later this spring/summer we will do a complete rebuild on the 1200C :tiphat:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Mtntopper , Just noticed that you are most likely inducing a fare ammount of snow on your intake on the VMC you might want to lower to right below the windows.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow, what a difference one day makes. We went to town early this am and here is a different view of the Hazelton Peaks from our private road looking west with 0 degree temperatures and the sun shining brightly. :thumb: On the return home late today it was foggy with light snow again.
Bungie Bill

1200 LMC With Peaks In Background.JPG

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Love that pogonip. Or the Fog crystals! I have seen this stuff 6 inches in Diameter on barbwire fences. Really beautiful if you get up close. Love the pictures!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Mtntopper , Just noticed that you are most likely inducing a fare ammount of snow on your intake on the VMC you might want to lower to right below the windows.

Some changes need to be made for next year and this is one I will look at closely. I am not sure if lowering will help as then the light snow will boil up around the tracks and the snow sliding off the roof will fall on the air cleaner if mounted against the back cab. Now, I usually clean the roof area around the air cleaner with a broom prior to running if it is loaded up with snow. It does have the HD Donaldson pre cleaner to help. :thumb: It is probably socked full of ice and snow now after all of the freezing fog and snow we have had the past 2 weeks. :snow2_smi:
Bungie Bill

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We are still getting spring snow. The sun was shining bright this morning and by evening we are getting heavy snow with about 6 to 8 inches new. If this keeps up we will need snow shoes for the 4th of July. :snow2_smi:

Front Yard 04-12-07.JPG

Snow Cat Parking 04-12-07.JPG

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We went out at dusk for a short spin in the LMC around the neighborhood. Below are a couple pics, one of the grandkids climbing tree and another of our back gate that connects to the Big Horn National Forest. I built the gate last year and it is almost too narrow to get the snow cats in and out but they will fit with a couple of inches to spare on each side. As you can see it was still snowing after dark.
:letitsnow:
Climbing Tree.JPG

Back Gate.JPG

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
NICE PICS, Bill!!!!!!!:thumb: :letitsnow: :snow2_smi:

Glad you are getting a pile up their the reservoirs should fill up this year!!!!!!:thumb: Have a good weekend!!!! Save some snow for me.....:smileywac

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I started to put the snow cats and snow machines away earlier this week after plowing out part of the driveway into home. We got thunder and lightening style snow last night to the tune of about 6 inches more of heavy wet snow with strong winds through most of today. We are back to snow machines and snow cat access to our home. It finally let up this evening with a blown down tree on our road and about 8 inches of new very wet snow. I cut up the tree so we can get out early tomorrow to town. We should be able to get some more snow cat pics in the next couple days.