• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bridges and Highway failures ...whats next ??

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Its catching up with us very quickly now . Bridges and highways that were built in the 1930's WPA Program are coming apart more and more . Seems like we are reading about more and more bridge failures and such .
What about our Dams and levys that are used for flood control and water needs . Many are over 50 plus years old now and failing too .
They can't last forever ,yet every damn time we try to replace or build a new one ,some special interest group jumps in and files a friggin lawsuit to stop it . Save the "Snaildarter" and other crap like that .
What about save the human race ???? Don't we count ???

I wish to God the silent majority would get their head out of their butt and realize they are going down the tubes .

I think if one more "Special interest group" tries to shove else anything down my throat I might make them a endangered spieces .:doh:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Al,

I was told our State of Minnesota will have a 5 Billion dollar a year shortage each year for the next 5 years on repairing roads/bridges etc. So with that they can't even maintain let alone catch up. It hits home big time as you may remember one of the largest bridges in Minnesota collapsed three years ago. Since then they have shut down many bridges for inspections and found many to be bad. These bridges have been opened up with some minor repairs. Makes you think twice about driving over them. Our money over the years has been used foolishly for other things. Our governor this year made a budget and our Representatives fought and fought to meet it and when they couldn't they blamed it on the Governor. Minnesota is not alone, the majority of them are all in the same boat.

As for the special interest groups, take away some of their luxuries such as electricity so we can save an owl and watch them bitch.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen I think the Tea Party movement is the beginning of the waking up of the silent majority. While the mainstream media and people like Pelosi mock the movement as a bunch of right wing fringe nutballs, the reality is that the movement is made up of Democrats, Independents and Republicans, all of whom are fed up with the bloated government taking on more than it can chew, going into areas of our lives that it has no logic spreading its reach, and totally missing out on the basics.

Roads, bridges, infrastructure and border security are the basics. Those must be maintained. They get ignored until its too late and instead we fund public radio, arts, parades and wars. We shovel money into failed social programs and we spread into state issues like schools.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Al, on simple public works issues like the Bay Bridge and other improvement that are now aging, I don't think it's the enviros etc that are the funding bottleneck.

I think its the No New Taxes bunch.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
California is the special interest , free social programs, capitol of the world . As long as goverment workers get there weekly checks , nothing else matters .

I know I can close my eyes on Interstate 80 as you enter California from Nevada and I can tell you at the exact monment we enter into California . The high way is a friggin mess and has been for upteen years . So you want to know how our state decided to solve the problem ???? I was just told they are doubing the rate for car and truck registation. And they wonder why Californians are leaving the state in packs .

I know I only come to California , only when I have no choice . Those days are almost over thank God .

Hell , at this rate , I may just end up in Panama sooner than I think . At least there I only paid for what I actually can use . No special interest crap to deal with .

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Al, on simple public works issues like the Bay Bridge and other improvement that are now aging, I don't think it's the enviros etc that are the funding bottleneck.

No new taxes bunch?? New taxes wouldn't bother me at all if I would see some return. But I don't.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No new taxes bunch?? New taxes wouldn't bother me at all if I would see some return. But I don't.

The problem is not that people like you and me don't want new taxes so much as we think the current taxes are wasted on so many things that they don't need to be wasted on so if the leadership would simply screw its head on straight and stop funding idiotic programs then there would be enough money in the system that no additional taxes would be needed.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cut the "donations" to the foreign governments and use it at home for the projects.

Get rid of the incom tax and put in a sales tax no exemptions no loopholes you buy you pay the frugal that don't spend don't get taxed

OOps I forgot that will create unemployment at the IRS give them a sledge and or a paint brush to do some rock breaking or painting in stead of laying them off.

Sorry I'm getting dizzy up here on my soap box I'll have to get down.

tom

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I just remember when it was new(I-80, old US-40), when I was a little kid. We had friends in Reno, and went there often from the Sacramento suburb. It was smooth and fast and really nice. It sure aint now. More traffic, wear, tear, freeze wear...

I think all entry points to California should say" Welcome to California. Caution; rough roads".

I know I can close my eyes on Interstate 80 as you enter California from Nevada and I can tell you at the exact monment we enter into California . The high way is a friggin mess and has been for upteen years .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I just remember when it was new(I-80, old US-40), when I was a little kid. We had friends in Reno, and went there often from the Sacramento suburb. It was smooth and fast and really nice. It sure aint now. More traffic, wear, tear, freeze wear...

I think all entry points to California should say" Welcome to California. Caution; rough roads".

I actually got off I-80 and took old US40 part of the way coming back in to Calif . Its actually a pretty much deserted road anymore .Figured this would be one of my last trips over it .

Tommu56 has some pretty good ideas . I would even go for a straight flat IRS 15% tax . People keep saying we need to help other countries but if we fail who is going to pick up the load . I say America FIRST ,then if we have funds or goods left over that can help others ,we can then consider it .
Like I said before . Way too many special interest groups .

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter

The environmental wackos are at every turn, and they are federally funded by the EPA according to this article. This goes back to 1999, but it's the first one that I could find supporting the "common sense "position, as opposed to the "No New Taxes" position that you elude to. I'll look for more, because "cheapskates" are not the bottleneck.

Road Warriors - how environmentalists affect transportation projects

National Review, June 28, 1999 by Jonathan H. Adler

PUBLIC POLICY
Al Gore's way or the highway.
Mr. Adler is the author of Environmentalism at the Crossroads.
April the Fifteenth was an even more taxing day than usual for commuters in the Washington, D.C., area. That afternoon U.S. district- court judge Stanley Sporkin halted the planned renovation and expansion of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. The bridge, which crosses the Potomac, is deteriorating rapidly. State and federal officials were planning to expand it from six lanes to twelve to ease congestion on the Washington Beltway.
But environmentalists, historic-preservation groups, and the city of Alexandria, Va., had other ideas, and Judge Sporkin upheld their claim that construction would violate several federal environmental laws. He ordered a further environmental review before work may continue. And that could take a while: In May, EPA official W. Michael McCabe was insisting on a full-fledged Environmental Impact Statement by the Federal Highway Administration, which could take up to two years-and that's just for starters. Local officials warn that substantial traffic disruptions will be inevitable if work does not begin soon.
The Wilson Bridge is just the latest casualty of a war on roads being waged around the country by environmental activists and "smart growth" advocates, aided and abetted by the Clinton administration and especially Al Gore. It is a war often financed by taxpayers: The EPA's "transportation partners" program, for instance, gives activist groups millions of dollars to agitate against road building and development.
According to Randal O'Toole of the Thoreau Institute, these "partners" opposed highway projects in 36 states in 1997. A major recipient of EPA largesse is the Surface Transportation Policy Project (dedicated to "the needs of people, rather than vehicles"), which runs a website for the EPA's partners program and serves as a clearinghouse for smart- growth propaganda. The project's steering committee reads like a Who's Who of environmental activists and liberal interest groups, including the Sierra Club, the Natural Resources Defense Council, and the United Church of Christ's Commission for Racial Justice.
The usual tactic of this anti-road coalition is to file lawsuits-under the Clean Air Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, the Clean Water Act, the Endangered Species Act, or anything else within reach. A hospital access road in San Bernardino County, Calif., was held up for fear it might imperil an endangered fly. Even when these lawsuits are baseless, they can delay and add costs to construction. According to one highway consultant, "If you have the money and the smarts, you can stop almost anything."
The casualties mount. Last November, the Sierra Club filed lawsuits to stop highway projects in Atlanta and St. Louis. In February, the group promised to sue to stop the Suncoast Parkway in Central Florida. The Nevada Environmental Coalition plans a lawsuit to curtail federal highway spending and impose more stringent controls in that state as well.
The environmentalists' largest victory came in March. The Clean Air Act requires highway projects to be in an area that meets federal air- quality standards or to follow an EPA-approved clean-air plan. The EPA had been allowing projects to continue if they slipped out of compliance in the middle of construction-if, for instance, pollution temporarily increased in the area. But in a case brought by the Environmental Defense Fund (strangely enough, against the EPA), a federal appeals court held that these projects, too, had to be stopped.
The decision could have a tremendous impact nationwide. In Texas, for example, transportation officials estimate that in the next four years it could endanger as many as 87 projects, more if the EPA succeeds in raising air-quality standards. A conformity lapse in the Dallas-Fort Worth area would threaten an estimated 35 projects, including the President George Bush Turnpike and the I-635/U.S. 75 interchange. On May 3, the EPA sent a letter to Texas governor George W. Bush threatening to impose sanctions as early as December 2000 if federal air standards are not met.
One reason the EPA and environmental activists have so much leverage over local transportation projects is that most highways are financed, at least in part, by federal gas-tax revenues-revenues that come with conditions, covering everything from drinking ages to the design of automobile-emission tests. But federal meddling would be reduced if Washington were to slash both highway spending and the gas tax, as proposed by House Budget Committee chairman (and presidential candidate) John Kasich and Florida senator Connie Mack, both Republicans. States and localities could then build their own roads on their own dime. Indeed, they could build more, since the federal government would no longer be diverting gas-tax funds to mass transit and other environmentally correct ventures.
Congress rejected that proposal handily last year. But Republican senator Kit Bond of Missouri is pushing legislation that would at least loosen the noose around road construction. The Sierra Club has responded with a barrage of radio advertisements against Bond and Missouri's other senator, Republican John Ashcroft. Bond's proposal, the ads say, threatens the nearly 50,000 children with asthma in the St. Louis area. "Please clean up the air," entreats a child at the spot's close.
More here.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's ya another one, California...

Flower could bulldoze highway

Friday, Feb. 27, 2009

By JAY FRIESS
Staff writer

If Charles County wants to finish building a four-lane highway from Waldorf to Bryans Road, then state regulators say they must map the locations of all the rare potato dandelions the road might pave over. And they have three months to do it.
In a letter to Charles County officials last month, Amanda Sigillito, chief of the Maryland Department of the Environment's Non-Tidal Wetland Permits Office, outlined six issues regarding the county's controversial cross-county connector project that cause her office concern.
The third issue was the potato dandelion, a "critically imperiled" species in Maryland which is known to grow in the proposed path of the northern parts of the connector road.
"Consequently, the county must field locate, flag and [satellite position] the full extent of the rare species population," Sigillito wrote. "The population should be mapped as an overlay on the mapping of the preferred route and any alternative routes so that … potential impacts may be assessed."
The issue of the rare dandelion was brought to MDE's attention by Jim Long of the Mattawoman Watershed Society, which has long opposed the connector project. The society, along with other local and statewide conservation watchdog groups are opposed to the highway, believing that the project will degrade or destroy the Mattawoman Creek, rated as the most pristine creek left in the state.
Opponents say that the county should take the next few years and complete an Environmental Impact Statement that would fully explain the road's effect. The county has argued that it has already completed an environmental study and that further delay will raise the road's $30 million price tag.
To Long, the lack of information about the dandelion shows a lack of thoroughness in the county's environmental reports for the connector.
"Basically, the only thing that was done is that a database was consulted," Long said Thursday. "[The dandelion's] presence is an example of what we've been saying all along. The environmental studies have been woefully inadequate."
Long said that the dandelion in question is not related to the common yard weed, which is an invasive species that came from Europe with early settlers of the United States. Long said the potato dandelion has a similar blossom to the weed, but it is a native species, more common throughout the south and Midwest. Maryland and New Jersey are on the northern edge of the plant's range, Long said.
"This is not the common weed," Long said. "It will not hurt your lawn."
Commissioners' President F. Wayne Cooper (D) said that the county's planning department will follow the recommendations of the letter and have a consultant survey the proposed path of the road in May, when the flower blooms.
"I know [an environmental] study has been done, and I wonder how it was missed," Cooper said. "If [the survey] is something they requested us to do, then we'll have to do it."
MDE also asked the county to address other issues. They asked for an explanation of why the county's justification for the highway has shifted from providing a new transportation link to providing a safe alternative to Billingsley Road. They asked the county to find further ways to avoid and mitigate wetland destruction and the creation of impervious surfaces that can cause chemical runoff.
Finally, MDE asked the county to determine if the Mattawoman contains any Tier II or high quality stream segments. If it does, then the county will have to undertake more stringent mitigation practices, possibly even moving the highway's path.
The county has until June 1, under an extended review period, to answer MDE's concerns if they want to obtain a permit to cross the Mattawoman. The county is also busy answering similar questions from the Army Corps of Engineers in order to obtain a federal permit.

Source

Barnyard Bob

:wtf: Perhaps if politician had to live like we commoners, There would be enough left of the tax monyes, to do things besides, their "reelections"!?

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Dont ya'll SEE??? This stimulated the tire and vehicle suspension component companies located in CA!