• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Studebaker Snow cats?

Alp Trac

Hi Folks,

Does any one know anything about the history/age and rough value of these snow cats.

I found them for sale, both described as ex military Studebaker , one a troop carrier the other an oil bowser.

Both Running.

Thanks,

Adam

Attachments

• studebaker.jpg
    studebaker.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 307
  • studebaker 2.jpg
    studebaker 2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 422

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Folks,

Does any one know anything about the history/age and rough value of these snow cats.

I found them for sale, both described as ex military Studebaker , one a troop carrier the other an oil bowser.

Both Running.

Thanks,

Adam

Alp, Here is a forum of just Weasels http://www.m29cweasel.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi We have had them before condition
dictates price 2500- 10,000 ave price 5-8000

Lots of info out there search "M-29 Weasel" " M-28 weasel"
I have never liked the tracks In my opinion they were to light duty :thumb:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Studebaker Weasel is a pretty good all terrain design, it is not a deep snow machine. It is much more an an all-around machine capable of doing a lot of things a snowcat may not be good at doing but not as good at any specific task as many more dedicated machines.

It was designed for the military to move troops, gear, etc and saw a lot of use doing just that. It was good for moving people/gear across open fields with or without snow cover, it is also capable of being driven on roads, etc. It will manage moderate snow, mud, river crossings, etc and it is capable of much higher speeds than a traditional snowcat. The prices Boggie quoted are similar to what I have seen, but seem just a little bit lower than I see.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Somewhere else in this forum, can't remember where or when I wrote it, but I met not one, but 2 parties, military personel in Korea, that had such bad experiences with the M29 that they said they emphatically would never ride in one. I got a similar response from an Alaskan of my aquaintence. Seems that they detracked as soon as look at them. There was a gentleman in Anchorage that converted the weasels to 'Scat Tracks', a belted track system similar to what's on a J5 Bombardiere. I've seen 4 or 5 of the conversions, all owned by hunters. On one ocassion, while inspecting the Trans Alaska Pipeline around Glenellen Ak, one of the Not Converted models showed up at the Caribou Inn, a motel there frequented by lots of hunters with track rigs.(this is where I saw most of the Converted units). Hunters stood around it saying stuff like "Good Luck!"(Sarcastically) or "I wouldn't ride it that" in any event later the next day it sat, De-Tracked, blocking the Right-of-Way access to the pipeline. Fortunatly there was an alternate route or Alyeska would probably have shoved it out of the way with a dozer AND Charged the owner for moving it. One party claimed that they were made for "ONE Time Use" in an Army Magazine Article, but I have never been able to substaintiate this. They did have awfully small bogey wheels, about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. The units had A Good Drive Train, that was powered by a Studebaker in-line 6. As they manufactured some 29,000 of the units, it's suprising how few you see around. The President of the MVPA (Millitary Vehicle Preservation Association) had a trashed out one in his yard in Utah. He said about all they were good for was 'Target Practice'. He preffered something a bit more substantial, Half Tracks, and had quite a collection of Tracked Millitary machines. The development and production of the M29 is often mistaken for the "OTTER", a much more heavy duty Military track rig. There was a model of WEASEL that had a pontoon set that made it float, but these are fairly rare. I've only seen pictures and havn't seen an actual machine with it's pontoon set at any Museum.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Correction: "Over 15,000 were produced", not the 29,000 as listed above. And the previous 'thread' was: " E-Bay- Studebaker Weasel Snowcat" that Bob S. initiated. There are lots of groups and articles available on the web about the M28 and M29 for further reading. Good Picts too.

Alp Trac

cheers guys!

the owner wants a lot of money for them.

10,000 euros equates to about the same in dollars...

Alp Trac

Version imprimable : Tout | Récapitulatif

Catégorie de mise en vente : Automobiles et Utilitaires > Automobiles > Autres Marques Automobiles

Hummer H3 Chenillette Studbacker "Weasel Essence
0 Km Vert 1944 Numéro de l'objet : 330170990017

A la date du 12-Oct-07 23:18:20 Paris

Cet objet a été ajouté dans Mon eBay pour les visiteurs.
En tant que visiteur, vous pouvez :
Suivre jusqu'à dix objets sur cet ordinateur dans Mon eBay
Recevoir un e-mail de rappel pour cet objet quelques heures avant la fin de la vente

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prix : 13.263,00 EUR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lieu : TABEL'AUTO
MENOTTES
ROUTE DE FUMEL
47300 VILLENEUVE SUR LOT
France métropolitaine

+33.-.06-81-43-71-77
+33.-.05-53-49-24-24

Envoyer un e-mail au vendeur

Vendeur : tabelauto( 0 )

Evaluations : 0 commentaire d'évaluation

Membre : depuis le 17-Nov-04. Pays : France métropolitaine

Description (modifiée) Le vendeur assume l'entière responsabilité de la mise en vente de l'objet.

Caractéristiques de l'objet - Automobile
Constructeur: Hummer Neuf/Occasion: Occasion
Modèle: H3 Nombre de propriétaires précédents: Plus de 2
Type: -- Cylindrée: --
Nombre de portes: 2 Puissance: --
Kilométrage (km): 0 Boîte de Vitesse: Manuelle
Année: 1944 Carburant: Essence
Date de 1ère immatriculation: 29 Jan 1950 Couleur: Vert
Date du Contrôle Technique: -- Peinture Métalisée: --
Date expiration garantie constructeur: -- Durée garantie occasion: --
Nombre de places: --
Carnet d'entretien disponible: -- Accès handicapés: --
Equipements de Sécurité: -- Equipements Extérieurs: --
Equipements Audio & Navigation: -- Equipements de Confort: --

Hummer H3 Chenillette Studbacker "Weasel Essence
0 Km Vert 1944
TABEL'AUTO
MENOTTES
ROUTE DE FUMEL
47300 VILLENEUVE SUR LOT

Téléphone :
06-81-43-71-77 | 05-53-49-24-24

Caractéristiques du véhicule
Constructeur: Hummer
Modèle: H3
Prix: 13 263,00 EUR
Type: autre
Portes: 2 portes
Carburant: essence
Couleur: vert
Année de production: 1944
Date de 1ère immatriculation: 29/01/1950
Kilométrage: 0 Km
Boîte de vitesse: manuelle
Neuf/Occasion: occasion
Nombre de propriétaires précédents: Plus de 2 propriétaires précédents

Description
Chenillette Studbacker "Weasel"

En savoir plus sur les compteurs eBay

eBay offre un résultat optimal avec les navigateurs modernes. Pour en savoir plus sur les versions de navigateurs recommandées.
Hummer H3 Chenillette Studbacker "Weasel Essence en vente sur eBay.fr (fin le 29-Oct-07 08:01:41 Paris)
Hummer H3 Chenillette Studbacker "Weasel Essence est en vente sur eBay, dans la catégorie 330170990017, Automobiles et Utilitaires, Automobiles, Autres Marques Automobiles. Vérifiez si cet objet est vendu au format Enchères, à prix fixe en Achat Immédiat, ou encore peut-être au format Annonces Classiques ! Lors de votre achat : Hummer H3 Chenillette Studbacker "Weasel Essence, vous pouvez aussi consulter les guides d'achat et les avis des membres eBay!

Copyright © 1995-2007 eBay Inc. Tous droits réservés. Tous droits réservés. Les marques et marques commerciales mentionnées appartiennent à leurs propriétaires respectifs. L'utilisation de ce site Web implique l'acceptation des Conditions d'utilisation et du Règlement sur le respect de la vie privée d'eBay.
Heure officielle d'eBay