• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New mailbox

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Quarter inch steel, has lock and weighs 136 pounds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 86

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
It will even keep out the kids. Now I have to send it back to have the address changed.

It is made be Fort Knox mailboxes.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
2010 HD ultra. There is also a 92 Electra Glide with a double wide California side car behind it. As busy as I was this summer both sat. Will have to do my riding this winter where my 98 ultra sits in Florida.

No vandalism as not had a mailbox down here before but I want to have the rent checks mailed here and the cost of the box is less than one months check for most of them. I do have a couple that like to drop off cash and this would be a good place if I am not home. The guy that lives right behind me has had a couple damaged by bats. His is secluded at the end of another road that goes around a few of the properties here.

With all the riff raff moving here with the oil boom you never know what is going to happen next as Bismarck is growing really fast and the number of home break ins have grown.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is a nice box. I had one made out of armor aluminum when I lived downstate Pa. No more ball bat damage till some bastard stole it about a year before we moved. Other than eggs thrown at it my big one up here has not been bothered yet.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
They would have fun trying to steal this one. 136# mailbox 42# post. 3 bags post cement which will bring the total past 350# with the water. The bolts are inserted from the bottom with round heads. They could grind the heads off to steal the box or pull the post and load it with at least two people. No system is theft proof. It will keep those away unless that are determined to come out and get the mailbox and are prepared for it.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
When I moved to my old place in 1980 there were 9 mailboxes serving 2 private roads in a line. After they were vandalized and then run down I put 2 big telephone poles in and and mounted treated 4x4's to mount the boxes on. Mine was the first in line so it got hit with the ball bats and they just bounced off. Had one person spin on the bend and hit the one pole but never even moved it. I had dug the holes with a backhoe and they were 5 foot in the ground.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I moved to my old place in 1980 there were 9 mailboxes serving 2 private roads in a line. After they were vandalized and then run down I put 2 big telephone poles in and and mounted treated 4x4's to mount the boxes on. Mine was the first in line so it got hit with the ball bats and they just bounced off. Had one person spin on the bend and hit the one pole but never even moved it. I had dug the holes with a backhoe and they were 5 foot in the ground.

This sounds like what I need to do to protect it from the county snow plow truck...The driver has a new nick name cause of the 4 times in one winter he tagged mine. They call him "mailbox"....cause I suggested it!:yum::yum::yum: Much better than a $15 check. When I called his boss and suggested it, he was all over it....

He just needs to slow down a bit when going by..

Regards. Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I am lucky since the town boys got 2 new trucks the wing plows are high enough to hit mine instead of going under it. They fold it in when they go by and I take care of cleaning the intersection at the stop sign and push anything they skip around my box back out the way. I always push back at several elderly folks mailboxes on my way to plow the animal shelter. My mail lady likes me and has my number and cell in case she gets stuck or breaks down.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What's the rule these days when your mailbox setup is so stout that when something hits it (be it a car or snowplow) that your mailbox holds up but destroys whatever hit it?

Since most mailboxes are in the right-of-way of the road, I didn't think they were allowed to be so stout.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
What's the rule these days when your mailbox setup is so stout that when something hits it (be it a car or snowplow) that your mailbox holds up but destroys whatever hit it?

Since most mailboxes are in the right-of-way of the road, I didn't think they were allowed to be so stout.
No time to research it, but I heard they should be able to shear off if hit by a vehicle. My 6x6 post is 3' down in 240# of concrete mix. My late MIL hit it many years ago backing out of the drive, and it stopped her Buick LeSabre from going into the street.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
that mailbox has 47 pounds on me. wouln't wanna meet that box in an alley.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

I think it depends on what kind of road it is on, or at least it does in Texas.

Years ago, after my M-I-L had 3 boxes "hit out of the park", I built her a new setup. It was 2 boxes, one inside the other, and the space in between filled with 150 pounds of concrete, all set on a 6" square cedar post sunk 4 feet in the ground and cemented in place.

It defied everything and everybody for over 10 years. Everybody that is except the Texas Department of Transportation. When her little road was redesignated from a county road to a state road, the first thing that TxDOT did was remove her mailbox (it took 3 men and a backhoe) and replace it with one of their mandated break away type. We're now on the 5th one. The trash pick-up guy clips it at least once a year.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I live on a country road which is on a dead end except during the non snow time when they can get to the wildlife management area.

I am sure that if hit by the snowplow it would lose. The set up was carefully engineered so that if anything else happens I will plead ignorance. Around the river bend and up the road a piece there is a engine block mounted with a mailbox on top of block.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine now is on a 4x4 with 2 4x4 arms bolted to the post and an angle brace coming up under it. The arms extend out 4 foot so snow can be pushed back. 60% or more around here are old milk cans filled with concrete. When the plows whack them folks just set them back up. The mail lady hates when folks sit them up on the snowbank as they are too high to reach. Mine stays right at the legal height of 42 inches. It is actually in the regs. for rural delivery as between 36-42 inches.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
jimmy taylor's gonna be there soon~ [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTmSxbm5i5M"]James Taylor - Country Road (Vinyl) - YouTube[/ame]

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
It is now up should have done it sooner as the top couple of inches seem to be frozen.

Gee whiz Al I forgot to have the number changed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 11