• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best tax return software?

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
After this stupid Turbo Tax bait and switch, I think I want to try another application. I need to report wages, some independent contractor stuff and investment income (interest and dividends -- no capital gains). My OS is Windows 8.1. Y'all have any recommendations?

Kane

What is it about Turbo Tax that got you pissed? I know that they have some business-specific versions (like the rental property version I use, and like) but apparently they don't offer a version that works for you?

No other suggestions, really .....

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I let my wife handle that. She works for the government in that department and knows all the tricks and such for a good return. She recomends Studiotax. Says it's free and you can do returns etc. That's what the Canadian government uses apparently so it must be good.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
I let my wife handle that. She works for the government in that department and knows all the tricks and such for a good return. She recomends Studiotax. Says it's free and you can do returns etc. That's what the Canadian government uses apparently so it must be good.

Ok, so you realize I'm in the U.S. and you're in CANADA, right?

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
I went with Tax Act Ultimate bundle downloaded from Amazon for $21.99: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S76XVBO/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: TaxACT 2014 Ultimate Bundle [Download]: Software[/ame]

It was an additional $9.95 to efile my state return.

Did it do the job? Yes, but's a little clunky, and not much help dealing with estimated tax payments. TurboTax is much better (and 3x more expensive).

Thought y'all might wanna know, given the revenuers'll be a knockin' next week.:wink: