• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Craigslist diamond ad leads to deadly home invasion

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never been a fan of Craigslist, this story doesn't leave me with any more incentive to try it out.
Craigslist diamond ad leads to deadly home invasion, police say - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Four suspects have been charged with first-degree murder in connection with a home invasion that began with an ad on Craigslist, Washington state authorities said Friday.

Three of the suspects were arrested on May 1. A fourth suspect, Clabon Terrel Berniard, 23, turned himself in Thursday, police said. Berniard and the others are accused of killing a man on April 28 in Edgewood, a city outside Tacoma. They are charged with first-degree murder, robbery and assault.

The case began when James Sanders and his wife posted an ad on Craigslist offering a diamond ring for $1,050, said Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist. Sanders arranged to meet prospective buyers of the ring at the family's home, the prosecutor said.

"Two people show up and act like a couple looking for a ring for the mother-in-law," Lindquist said. But once they entered the house, he said, the man posing as the husband pulled out a handgun.

The victim, his wife, and their sons, ages 14 and 10, were restrained with plastic handcuffs, Lindquist said. Two other suspects then entered the home. One pistol-whipped the older son, he said.

Sanders broke out of his restraints and attempted to defend the 14-year-old, and was shot three times, the prosecutor said.

"While this is going on," Lindquist said, "other bad guys are kicking Mom in the head while she's lying on the floor."

The three suspects arrested in May were caught in California after a traffic stop. They have been identified as Kiyoshi A. Higashi, 22, of Tacoma; Joshua N. Reese, 20, also from Tacoma; and Amanda C. Knight, 21, from Sumner.

Knight posted bail in California and subsequently surrendered to authorities in Sumner on Tuesday, authorities said. She pleaded not guilty at her arraignment. Her bail was set at $2 million.

Higashi, Reese and Berniard are expected to be arraigned next week.
The killing came a year after a medical student in Boston, Massachusetts, was charged with killing a woman who advertised a massage service on Craigslist.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I seen that the other day , but its good to be brought up . I buy & sell a lot on craigslist . But I,m very very carefull , I will never give My email , phone # & damn sure no address untill I,ve got their info first .

Even then I will not give my address only enough instructions to get them close enough where I can see them & have a desription of their vehicle & when they get within a half mile of me they call my cellphone . If its the right vehicle & they look honest & on the up & up through my telescope .

Then I,ll direct them to my drive which is gated , posted & 1/4 mile off the road . Once I meet them at the gate & I allways carry I,ll either let them in or tell them they have the wrong place . If we do business I make it very clear , ( Like they haven,t figured it out allready ) Do not ever come back without calling my cell first & an invite :w00t2:

My ads ussually screen out the idiots & most times I come off rude , But the people that do show up & I let in I normally make friends with & understand why I,m the way I am .

The good hearted people that trust everyone & even post things for free list all their info & thats how these things happen . Maybe I,m paranoid or whatever but it all comes down to common sense really IMO :biggrin:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't sell much stuff that way. Folks that invite others onto their property are taking a big risk. I have sold some farm equipment but between the dogs and guns folks know I take my privacy serious. I usually have at least one shepherd loose and make them wait till she is confined before they exit a vehicle.:whistling:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I enjoy usuing craigslist. great way to find good deals. but i will not let someone come to my house. i much rather meet them somewhere to exchange formalities. mcdonalds park lot, gas station, etc. somewhere public

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't sell much stuff that way. Folks that invite others onto their property are taking a big risk. I have sold some farm equipment but between the dogs and guns folks know I take my privacy serious. I usually have at least one shepherd loose and make them wait till she is confined before they exit a vehicle.:whistling:

Same here, except I usually have all the dogs running around and maybe some neighborhood dogs over. Nothing like a pack of 4 or 5 dogs to want to make people not want to hang around. ;)

So far, I've actually had pretty good results with CL and a local gun board. For small things I generally meet someone down in town as I live pretty far out.

a5gunner

That's terrible, I don't use Craigslist and this is a reason like this. People take advantage of things like that

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I alway deal in a public environment, and have always been Leary with any info given,its just common sense. ;)