• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I was called for a drywall repair job...

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
...and when I got there I found this:

badwiringpractice.jpg

The lady said her "electrician" did not do drywall repair, and asked how much to patch the walls. We had a bit of a discussion which ended with me being asked to leave for challenging her son's best friend's ability as an electrician (I think he was a laborer for a contractor, which gave him the cred to do the job:yum:). Some jobs you just don't want your name attached to, and this one moved up to the top of that list for me. But, at least he used cable staples. Too bad he didn't own a drill.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With the wire on the face of the board that would be one impossible repair anyway. :bonk:
What in the world was he wiring up to do it that way. :confused:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Code inspector should be checking his work. If he is that stupid I would not trust anything he connected either. Bet he don't even know that yellow is # 12 wire or that it is rated for 20 amps.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I see this kind of stuff a lot in my business, and it's not just electrical. I need to take more pictures to show what homeowners do to put their property and their lives in jeopardy. If someone does not pull a permit there is no inspection, so you're basically at the mercy of the contractor or the amateur contractor.

I had my house built in 1992. I just opened the wall in my master bath this week to rework the drains and water lines for the new vanities, and finally found out why my bathroom sink always seemed to have an odor emanating from it when I would run the water. Turns out the 1-1/2" drain line leading to the 3" stack about 3' away was pitched slightly in the wrong direction, and the pipe had about 1/2" of soapy scum crud in it when I cut out the line. There was also about 1/2" buildup down the inside of the 3" stack at the 1-1/2" entry point, because the water could not move fast enough to keep the drain clear. Even with a trap in the line, air would sometimes allow the stench to come back up the line. The new sink drains (2) have between 1/8"-1/4" fall per foot, so they will stay clear of soapy scum buildup.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jev, here are a couple of ways you could have fixed your drainage problem.

These are typical of the many homeowner type fixes I found while doing home inspections.

You should start a separate thread of stupid home repairs.

Bob

Attachments

• flex drain.jpg
    flex drain.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Hillbilly_trap.jpg
    Hillbilly_trap.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 53
  • HWPeanut_butter_repairs1_12.jpg
    HWPeanut_butter_repairs1_12.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 53

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Jev, here are a couple of ways you could have fixed your drainage problem.

These are typical of the many homeowner type fixes I found while doing home inspections.

You should start a separate thread of stupid home repairs.

Bob
These are obviously incorrect repairs.
Not one used duct tape.
Or wire ties.

Amatuers!:hammer:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Jev i find that workmanship disgusting,anyone doing electrical work like that and leaving it like that should be hung from their tezzies....to have cut out more dry wall and do the job proper would not have added that much to the expense,to have run that cable through the timber and sorted the dry wall would have only have added a extra hour to the job max.

I could never leave a job looking like that.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
These are obviously incorrect repairs.
Not one used duct tape.
Or wire ties.

Amatuers!:hammer:
but you have to give the credit for originality for using Jif Peanut butter. :bonk: :yum:

Choosy Mothers choose Jif. :D

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Folks are always more creative with drain troubles than supply lines. I have encountered some real winners from so called pros in boiler installs before. After things not working right the owners call and just want it fixed right. On oil burners if you see compression fittings on the fuel line you know right away they have no clue what they are doing.:hammer: