• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Voltage at the coil

IMP

Site Supporter
Can anyone tell me for sure what the voltage is suppose to be at the coil + measuring to engine block? In a short amount of time I went through two condensers. So I checked the voltage at the coil and found it at 5.5v. Internet searches told me it should be 8-9v. Can anyone confirm that? Tonight I changed out my ballast resistor from 2.5 ohm to 1.3 and now my voltage at the coil is about 7v. I plan on going back to Napa an get a 1ohm resistor and see if that gets me closer to 8-9. These measurments were taken with the engine off. So add 2v when engine is running. My coil is a IC903 and I measured about a 1.6 ohm on the primary. This is on a Dodge 251 Flathead engine. J5 Bombardier

here is the napa numbers I run with no trouble resistor#icr13----coil #ic12sb-----if you have voltage trouble it should be burning up points----I bought my sv200 not running ---lol there was a pile of dist. parts in the cab on the floor--everywhere----it even had a after market electronic pointless junk /burned up conversion kit in it----20 min. at home reusing parts laying in cab I drove it off the trailer------so when I gave it a tune up the above part numbers is what I used-----take note-----the only trouble I have is when its super cold out I use a jumper across the resistor and it starts like its summer---I give it like 30 sec. and I unclip the jumper----I plan on putting in a switch across the res.for cold start ups-----I groom every day and my dist. set up and dry gas keep me from walking home-----btw napa has a coil with a built in res. but ive never tried one

forgot ---it even had a new carb. on it---?----but no spark-----how was a carb going to fix no spark-----lol----grooming the runway for the grandson ---he loves his updated 120 with electric start

Attachments

• IMG_20180108_193322995.jpg
    IMG_20180108_193322995.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_20180108_193343206.jpg
    IMG_20180108_193343206.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_20180108_193403367_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180108_193403367_HDR.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_20180108_191156721.jpg
    IMG_20180108_191156721.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 261

IMP

Site Supporter
ICR13 is the resistor I used to get me to 7 volts at the coil. I asked the Napa guy if he could tell me what the difference is between the ic912 and ic903 coils and he said the specs. look the same. When I wired my J5 ignition I used the momentary ignition key on switch to bypass the ballast resistor during start up. It works fine I just need to know what the voltage is suppose to be to get it dialed in.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If you want a full 12v at the coil for cranking all that is needed is a wire from the small post on the solenoid to the coil. When you quit cranking then the current goes through the resistor.
Mike

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
+ plus one for the stone breaker.

Unless, it is a 6V flat head with a 12 v conversion (alternator on it)

I don't know my part numbers, but different coils need different voltages.

Look at the condenser as a sponge. they really don't do anything but absorb and dispense stabs of electrons. If you are eating them your points are out of time with the rotor. Dwell is important. a little play in the rotor and cap will make you pull your hair out.

Verify the condenser is grounded well.

IMP

Site Supporter
Yea stonebreaker I like that method! I heard from a different source that 8-9v is what I need at the coil. So with my engine running that's what I should have with the ICR13 ballast resistor. Ill measure it tonight with the engine running and see how my condenser holds up.

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
I know Pertronix makes conversion kits to complete Electronic Distributors for most makes....

http://pertronix.com/prod/

I plan on doing my 300 straight 6 with one of these setups when I get to it!

dep6113

i used a pertronix for my 250 I6 in my sv200. when i ordered the kit i ordered a matching coil. starts good in the cold. i agree that basic points are easy to work on and easy to keep a spare part or two but you can tell the difference with the new ignition with the hotter spark in the way the motor runs.