• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

weird steel track drive sprockets

Alp Trac

A question for all you techies out there.

I have steel track sprockets, i know all the arguments against them, wear of the cleats etc., but these look original to me.

I know they are steel because they are rusty!

They even have the correct casting number, but the teeth look a different shape to standard.

Is the middle bimaterial rubber and steel runner original or is it some sort of experiment?

My snow trac is no 600 St4 which dates it as a 1964.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• snowtrac serial no. 007.jpg
    snowtrac serial no. 007.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 357
  • snowtrac serial no. 008.jpg
    snowtrac serial no. 008.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 362
  • snowtrac serial no. 009.jpg
    snowtrac serial no. 009.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 363

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The experience I had with steel sprockets was that 1) they wear out the grousers, so you'll need a whole set of those, lets see... 80 grousers at 20$ each X Times 2 tracks.... but the real disaster is the guides. they eventually wear thru creating a sharp knife that can puncture all of your tires in one track rotation. So now you need a complete set of new tires, and 160 New guides per track. IF you can get them, there about 18$ @. GO BRASS if possible. Unless you want to walk out.