• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking at a SuperImp

rockhead

I found an affordable SuperImp (DMC) , its engine has been upgraded to 300 cu in 6 so it needs a custom cover. Anybody got pointers or critical flaws I should consider before I buy this thing and go up a mountain with it ?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I owned a couple of Super Imps. They are good snow cats in stock form. The biggest issue I found was track/suspension maintenance and repair. The tracks could be built heavier but were pretty much a design carryover from the 1404 version. This is the drawback on the Super Imp versus the Spryte in my opinion especially if you have a front blade. The 1200 series tracks are almost bullet proof and the Super Imp just is not as durable. The bigger 300 engine may aggravate track issues. More power sometimes equates to added maintenance. Has the transmission been upgraded to the larger engine or still a C4? The C6 was used with the 300 engine in most of the larger snow cats. Just my opinion as I have also owned the larger 1200 series and they are almost bullet proof where the Super Imps need more attention.

rockhead

I believe the tranny is C6 and it has no blade at present.
I was thinking about getting an atv/utv blade, the Kimpex click and go could be done with a plastic blade and be under 150 pounds all in

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I believe the tranny is C6 and it has no blade at present.
I was thinking about getting an atv/utv blade, the Kimpex click and go could be done with a plastic blade and be under 150 pounds all in

To be useful to full extent you need at least a 6 way or more blade on a snow cat if you are boon-docking. A four way with up/down. side to side is not very useful for side hill trail cutting that is often needed with a snow cat. I would question the ability/durability of a utv type blade for use on any snow cat? I had a eight way on one of my Super Imps and loved what could be done with it when needed to cut side hills and back woods trails. If you are only plowing a drive or parking are then the 4 way is fine. I have run Piston Bullys with 12 way blade with side wings for trail building. The ability to put snow where you need it is often needed when you are out in the wild either trail grooming or just back woods catting.

rockhead

The notion just came together for me , mount the 4 way unit on a swiveling face and baboom, you have redneck six way :whistling::yum::hammer:
Granted you would have to get out and select from a (very) few predilled tilt settings.
If I had the money for a new Pisten Bully I would just get a helicopter to fly me in and out.

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
I recently bought a 1450 from Kier, I think it's the same guy at Echo Summit. He was very nice. Mine, and others by report, can run pretty warm going uphill...210-240 degrees if I'm in any kind of a hurry. I'm going to add electric fan and possibly an aux radiator. I think the 300 would need some serious cooling upgrades from the 200 stock setup IMHO. Sounds fun, good luck!]