• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sliding down the slippery slope...

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Last month one of our club members had the final "QRP in the Park" session for this year. He'll resume again in April. I stopped by and learned about how QRP (low power) works and what kind of equipment is used. I also got to try out his new Elecraft K3 transceiver ($1,500 with all the options) coupled to a speaker wire dipole antenna in an inverted v at 25' with a 4:1 LDG balun, and powered by a 7ah SLA battery. I was able to make a few contacts into New York, North Carolina and Florida using just 5w, and I was hooked. I began using my FT-450 as a QRP radio by reducing the output to 5w, and began looking for a dedicated QRP rig on QRZ.com.

Monday this listing showed up, and I was able to finalize negotiations with the seller for $720 shipped (he paid $935) on this brand new Yaesu FT-817ND, tuner and USB interface. (the power supply is not included. I already have two supplies and a 10.5ah SLA battery) Everything is still has full warranties, as he did not file the warranty cards, and is giving me the original sales slips as well. I mailed the money order this morning, and should have the rig by the end of next week. The seller just bought this setup on 11/12/12, but due to poor eyesight, is unable to read the small screen. He already ordered an FT-897D and is happy with it.

attachment.php

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a good prepper rig. Is it totally powered by battery? Then all you need to do is keep it charged?

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a good prepper rig. Is it totally powered by battery? Then all you need to do is keep it charged?
You're right about a prepper rig. I just watched an episode where they critique prepper setups, and they suggested getting a ham radio rig and a license.

The radio I bought uses 8 AA alkaline batteries in the internal compartment, or power from an external battery or AC powered power supply. Rechargable batteries are not an option, because they only supply 1.2V instead of 1.5V for alkaline batteries. Very versatile power system.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
and I only was thinking of Yaesu ftm350 for my truck.jim
Nice radio, but I'm not a big fan of folks knowing where I'm at all the time. Not that I have anything to hide, but sometimes I just like to hide...if you know what I mean.