• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HamSphere virtual Ham Radio

WheatStone

Hello fellow Hams. I was looking around for cheap ham rigs and found a cool software. It is called HamSphere and it is a virtual Ham Radio transceiver. You simply download the software, turn it on and make QSOs right away.

The transceiver works pretty much like a real rig. It uses Double Side band modulation and it comes with pretty good filters. I experienced both phase shift and multi path distortions on some of the signals as the simulation is extremely close to the real thing. The transceiver has 11 Ham Radio bands and you can turn off the simulation on two of the bands.

The price tag is about 37 USD for a year of usage which I found affordable.
They have even implemented a real log book and the ability to create and send digital QSL cards.

Their bands seem crowded at certain hours. When I tried it I made a contact with Macau right away which I consider a real good DX. Thumbs up for this product and you simply have to try it yourself.

Here is the link if you are interested http://www.hamsphere.com

Cheers
Peter

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Hamsphere permits unlicensed operators to use this ham "simulation" software. Sorry, but I worked to hard to get my licenses to sit alongside wannabe amateur radio operators. At least EchoLink validates the amateur operator's license before allows them to use the system. IMHO, this is a ham radio welfare program for those too lazy to study for a license.

WheatStone

Hamsphere permits unlicensed operators to use this ham "simulation" software. Sorry, but I worked to hard to get my licenses to sit alongside wannabe amateur radio operators. At least EchoLink validates the amateur operator's license before allows them to use the system. IMHO, this is a ham radio welfare program for those too lazy to study for a license.

Yeah, I agree on that one JEV. I found quite a few "unlicensed" operators on the bands there, although not as bad as CB. Actually I did not even have to send my license to them for verification. That might be a problem for them in the future.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
It may never be a "problem" for them as long as they can get unlicensed operators to fork over the $37 USD annually like you did, particulalrly when it is not connected whatsoever to the airwaves. It's a computer simulation program like Flight Simulator for wannabe pilots.

I have a license and can legally make contacts globally within my license parameters, and I don't need a tracking server on another continent to do so or to be monitored by one either. When the server goes down the wannabes will be SOL...I will still be able to make contacts globally with my backup systems, even if the grid goes down.

WheatStone

I don't know JEV, I like Flight Simulators :) and I have a strict "no antenna permit" policy in my building and I have been tuning around a bit on HamSphere and the bands are crowded rite now at 15:00 UTC. Traffic dicipline is actually maintained and it really sounds like the real thing. I think this is gunna be fun. And these people even offer awards for QSO achievement where some guys had worked over 160 countries would you believe. So we'll see...