• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

August rv trip

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We are heading out on the road for 3 weeks in August with the camper. As it stands now our route isn't completely planned yet except for the first week.

We leave home here in Thunder bay Ontario on the north shore of lake superior and head towards sault ste marie Michigan where we'll cross into the states. Head down through Michigan and cross back into Canada in Detroit. Then spend a few days near Niagara falls before crossing into buffalo to start working our way back. We should be passing just north of Columbus Ohio heading towards Chicago. From there we'll start working our way back north towards Duluth Minnesota then onto Hibbing for the labor day racing shootout.

After we cross back into buffalo from Niagara falls we have no real plans. Any suggestions on must see attractions for a family with 5 kids? If I'm not mistaken a few members here might live close to that route?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Years ago when we took our kids to see Niagara Falls we came back to Detroit via the Canadian side. QE Highway. Wow the cars flew on there. 80 and 90 MPH. Fun trip though.

From Niagara if heading to Chicago you'll probably go through North Ohio / Cleveland. You'll find the Cleveland Indians there if you want to take the kids to a ball game, and the Rock and Roll hall of Fame is there. It's also worth a visit. You play so I'd guess you would enjoy that.

I'm 3 hours from Cleveland and 2 hours from Columbus. I'd advise staying off I-70 if possible. Lots of trucks an rather busy. 5 kids and an RV for 3 weeks. You are a brave man. Wishing you a GREAT trip. Hope all goes well.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes the QE is crazy. Actually any highway in southern Ontario is crazy which is why we are crossing into Michigan to head down in order to avoid the cesspool of immigrants otherwise known as Toronto. We may end up there at some point but not hauling the camper.

It's the best way to travel with kids. All we need is a campsite to stay at and we're good. Imagine staying in a hotel every night and eating in restaurants for 3 weeks? Much more economical this way. I'd rather use as many back roads as possible.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep. I plan on relying heavily on Google maps. One bonus about travelling in canada for me is that I get in any provincial park for 20 a night due to a new law that allows people who display a handicapped pass that opportunity.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It would be cool if you could make it to Sault Ste Marie, Michigan and do a lighthouse tour. Lots of things to do there.
Can be a bit pricey though.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We'll be going right through there on the third day. We actually plan on staying there that night. With my current condition about 3 hours driving is my max. So we have it kinda planned to drive the three hours to a campground. Stay there a couple days. Then continue on. From here to Niagara falls is about 17hrs. We plan to cover that in 5 days. The longest day should be 4hrs on the first day.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
We'll be going right through there on the third day. We actually plan on staying there that night. With my current condition about 3 hours driving is my max. So we have it kinda planned to drive the three hours to a campground. Stay there a couple days. Then continue on. From here to Niagara falls is about 17hrs. We plan to cover that in 5 days. The longest day should be 4hrs on the first day.

:biggrin:Awesome!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with PG. So many RVers turn traveling in to a test of endurance, like my S-I-L. Me??? I'm a 300 mile a day guy. I may go a few over to get to a campground I want to stay at but not many more and sometimes it's a lot less. RVing is supposed to be simple and relaxing, doodling along the road until you find someplace you want to park for the night ... or a few days. No schedule, no real timetable, ultimately flexible and just enjoy the experience.

Have fun!!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So we're working on a travel plan for the trip. Looks like we'll be just north of Warren Ohio for a couple nights. Anything to do or see around there?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. We're also looking at the Joliet area as a one night stop before working up to Wisconsin Dells. Of course, itd be great to meet up with a few members along the way if you're close by.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We've been watching Facebook vicariously this week as my brother is doing the same trip with his (my old) camper aside from subtle differences such as the roads taken. They ended up at Niagara falls and crossed into the states via Detroit. We'll be doing Niagara falls then into the states there. They are doing Wisconsin dells. So are we. All this we planned more than a year ago without knowing their plans.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Two weeks away and we've got quite a list of things to see and do while we're on the road. They include:

Neys provincial park for 2 nights
Sault locks in Sault Michigan.
Niagara falls
Marine land
Dirt track racing(a few nights)
Wisconsin dells for four nights
Labor day shootout at Hibbing raceway

We'll be covering a good chunk of Ontario and 8 different states all south of the great lakes. I've always wanted to do the great lakes tour one day ever since I was old enough to drive. It only took 25 yrs. Lol

...a million dollars shy of being a millionaire.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
First leg of the journey. Only 230km from home. North shore of lake superior. Neys provincial park. Lots of BIG hills to climb but the Yukon held it's own despite fighting a strong sidewind the whole way.
4be40a624c43ab5c76fee89ed48240f7.jpg
cec2e3c163674cb9a348c44944bdc534.jpg
bf4a47edeb810ea7d62685c6a0cc17dd.jpg
e8512d0ea9266f474cf91845d9c16b76.jpg
14f0bd54ed2abb39cb0c9b3e0c927071.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

norscaner

Brian ...check out "thehouseontherock.com" we stopped there after a visit to the dells and on the way to Mall of America. It is a collection of collections. Have a safe trip.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So much for the beach today. It's pouring rain. We're in a weather watch. Calling for 20-40mm of rain today. But looking at the weather map we're smack dab in the middle of a major cell coming up from Minnesota and Wisconsin and it's hopefully breaking up coming across lake superior. It was supposed to start raining 2 hours ago. Instead it just started now.
d2a85db28ec1b62c5bff2f9366e314c8.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Since neys was a bust due to the weather we moved on. Stopped in wawa Ontario for a picture of the big Canada goose. Stopped in white river for a picture of Winnie the pooh. It's the recognized birthplace of Winnie. Now we're in Sault Michigan.

08d6273f93f914cd4d7540d0c3b08685.jpg
7ffcf0bccb80d3a163f0d2b71f210581.jpg

a72978c8325eb0fa87a84499a663a249.jpg

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We made it to southern Ontario. We were out of cell service for two days. My wife's lg g4 died on her on the second day. So thankfully our provider had a store near where we were staying. We stayed in Sault Michigan the first night we crossed over to the dark side. The second night was in Midland. Today we hit the road early and had a VERY long day of driving. What my wife thought was a 5 hour drive turned into 9 hours. As soon as we arrived we set up the camper. Ate dinner. Then went to the races.
802e0d58b154d83a5518bc6fea0c405f.jpg
15c3b4a9f503d6b0e114cdc22e7860a8.jpg
83759fc5df4be7fafe74edc86042add1.jpg
b33270e5492b9984ac0956a8d7caa2cb.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We are spending 4 days here in fort erie. Only a 30 minute drive to Niagara falls and marine land. So that's on the agenda today. After leaving here we'll be crossing in buffalo new york heading for a campground in corland Ohio and staying there 2 nights.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Since today ended up being a rest day, I found a trailer shop able to do a bearing change on the scooter lift. I noticed grease all over the rim back in Midland Michigan but at 4:30pm on Saturday couldn't do much about it till we got here. All I could do was grease it and stop every hour or so to check it.
a3136075957761a267741c46fa9a1bdc.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We spent the afternoon in Niagara falls with our 5 kids plus one niece
5d23a0ed2f477cbae9ab950413cf8362.jpg
51bbdc9d9ae0b677d011914d6aa472ac.jpg
7561b0823fb174c8aaff1241af544f25.jpg
f8ffc0b171b76e01bb4fe032ee327142.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
In Cortland Ohio for two nights then moving on to Bluffton Indiana tomorrow.
d00809b0dadd2c77a69e5514b3a34511.jpg
108fad67e961ad792ab20a1345fd21e0.jpg
c62f396ad670399ad578aa927f5183bd.jpg
72b3754038e9406aacf8d6a4f1cc1e15.jpg
4553c0d77913776d6dc79ed911639fdf.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Made it to Bluffton Indiana. Why here? Because it avoids Chicago and Indianapolis. And pulling about 40ft of camper and scooter on a freeway with everyone else doing 75mph is not so much fun. So we opted for a longer more relaxed route where I can hold my own at the speed limit.

So we pulled in around 5pm after driving since 10am. Then found a local track holding races.
8fc65d69f386cc55a4c5fe6d97a02348.jpg
b2bf59facf4d350d5cc0e37f64fb13e4.jpg
94471841d2431f14bbb57bf7dd2044d0.jpg
20b6f5a4066bfc187f116d359f95384b.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Indiana is behind us. We just crossed into Illinois. Tomorrow we will be at Wisconsin Dell's for 3 nights.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We arrived in Wisconsin dells yesterday around 2pm. The kids knew a bit about the place but not much. Their eyes about popped out of their heads when we arrived. A person would go broke here trying to do everything. Today we will do noahs ark water park. The missus mentioned something about zip lining tomorrow along with the duck boat tour. We'll see.

Last night we took them to an indoor theme park to play games and unwind