• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1960?? St4 asking $5000.00

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Located 45 minutes from skagway alaska in Carcross yukon. Owner is asking $5000.00. Needs engine overhauled or updated. Contact "Bill Barrett" at bbro69@hotmail.com , he is selling this for his father. Serious inquiries only.

Attachments

• DSC01074.JPG
    DSC01074.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 688
  • DSC01075.JPG
    DSC01075.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 680
  • DSC01076.JPG
    DSC01076.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC01077.JPG
    DSC01077.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 677
  • DSC01078.JPG
    DSC01078.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 690
  • DSC01073.JPG
    DSC01073.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 686

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Here are a few more pictures.

Attachments

• DSC01082.JPG
    DSC01082.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 666
  • DSC01084.JPG
    DSC01084.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 661
  • DSC01083.JPG
    DSC01083.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 664
  • DSC01081.JPG
    DSC01081.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 650
  • DSC01080.JPG
    DSC01080.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 674
  • DSC01079.JPG
    DSC01079.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 677

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Original turn signal switch and steering wheel......

Attachments

• DSC01085.JPG
    DSC01085.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC01086.JPG
    DSC01086.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 662
  • DSC01087.JPG
    DSC01087.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 660
This thing needs a total rebuild, right down to the frame,engine is totally shot and then this makes me think that the transmission is also suspect , I talked to this man 3 times in the in the last year, probobly just a good parts machine, what do you thinnk its worth ???????? $$$$$$$$ ???

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well Paul I am amused at your comments. First off its a 1960 something Snow Trac. How many cars do you see from the 60s that need work. Most I would say. The beauty is that this vehicle when rebuilt will go where no car can dream of. 5K for this unit is a good fair price. After its totally restored you should beable to get 30 to 45K.. Some may scoff at this price but think about it. New Snowcats run a minimum of about 135K. Most run in the 150K range. Ive priced one at over 1 million for our project! These used older snowcats (if you pick the right one) will go where ever these newer fancy cats can go. My Snow Master will go where these newer cats cannot! As far as your comment about needing a total rebuild what is there to rebuild? OK the engine. Just buy a new one 4K for an unbelievable VW engine or about 4K for a Subaru rebuilt engine (for an aircraft) wire harness and adaptor plate. $400 to have the transmission rebuilt buy an older German gentleman who only rebuilds VW transmissions. At this point you would have a great running machine. If you want to go further then just read along. The variator belt may need to be replaced. Those cost from $100 to $150. The variator usually is just fine. Nothing really to go wrong. Maybe the steering protection block "IF" its broke. Them maybe $125. The brakes will cost at most $200 for everything. Bearings to replace all I believe I priced out at $500. And thats every single one in the entire machine. Most will be just fine. A set of gauges maybe $500. Have all the seats redone......maybe $200? Then have the unit repainted. Anywhere from $1000 to whatever your pocket book can stand depending on how fancy you want. OH yes and belting. Maybe $800 if you have someone punch all the holes for you. The grousers on this unit look fine.

So what do you want "Paul"? Do you want a snowcat or do you just want to state the obvious about a 1960 something cat needs some work. Either get serious about a snowcat or stop bitching. You sound like my exwife. Always complaining about a whole lot of nothing. Have a Merry Christmas.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
You sound like my exwife. Always complaining about a whole lot of nothing. Have a Merry Christmas.

:yum::yum: That bad huh???

Mike , You and I know how addicting these damn cats can be ? You have quite a few of them and I have owned 4 . 3 Kristis and 1 Snot Track . I have found that no matter what you figure your restore cost to be , something will come up unexpected . I been pretty lucky on my current Kristi KT3 restore . I'm only about $500 over budget so far . If I throw in my travel time to Montana and back to get her ,I'm down $1500 .:sad:
Still, its the best hobby I have and worth it too me :smile:.
Where is the fun in getting in a new cat that you know nothing about and running around ? At least I know that when a problem arises ,and it will , I can fix it .
At $5000 ,that Snow Trac was a steal, especially if it included the trailer ! . AS you already said ,restored correctly it would be worth many times that .
Merry Christmas . you old Fart !

I wonder why nobody has beat the guys door down to get it if its such a steal ??? and NO the trailer does not go with it, the engine and transmission are shot according to him, maybe because it is just 2700 miles norht of the Montana border ?? I cant wait to put up a few photos of what I think is a steal, its really different than what you guys call a good deal, but you guys know alot more than me, thats for sure, photos to come..........

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Look Paul. "IF" you were to buy that Snow Trac for 5K even with a bad engine and trans its still a steal. The problem comes from the distance. If you can find something thats even in better shape and is closer then why are you waiting? Grab it up. Or are you the kinda guy that just dreams about doing it? Youve come hear to berate someones Snow Trac he has for sale. You threaten to "SUE" a fellow member because he wont sell you one of his Snow Tracs! You then call out anyone who dares disagree with you on some other issue. Yet when another member calls your bluff you puss out. You seem to have some sort of problem. Now maybe im all wrong about you. But so far you have not shown me anything to believe otherwise. Have a Happy New Year.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Alright, alright, I'd rather seeing you guys insulting Kristis than having a pissing contest. :pat:

Everyone chill and go do that xmas thing, mmmk?

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I think there is a lot of discussion for +/- a grand if even that... to me it seems a reasonable price. It seems these things are really very common around... I see a lot more of these than some other cats ;) and the prices are all more reasonable as well...in any condition.

So, to me, I look at opportunity cost... how much of your time will you spend searching hi-and-low for a better deal by $500? $1000? How much is your time worth? Even the distance argument... seriously... I've heard some folks on the forum talk about "Well, its a whole state or two away..." yet they've been searching for a while. The cost of restoration ...both blood and sweat...and that blood alotment excludes blood drawn by the wife to fight for hobby time... will be far more than any haggling or better deal-finding.

Dunno... I think people waste a lot of time oogling and kicking tires and, to be honest, BS'ing... time wasters basically... just buy the frigging thing. Based on the income of a successful lawyer, it's a spit in the bucket...both $5K and any +/-'s of the price. Yea, I like to embrace getting good deals too...it makes it all that much more juicy... but then there's also ridiculous too.

Knock-on-wood... I've bought many cats based on thorough questioning and a healthy dose of photos...in some instances not even many photos... and haven't been burned yet. From what I see here, you should just call him and give him $4500 or $4750 and be more delicate to critiquing the poor cat...they have feelings too. ;)

You know what... just buy it and call it your stocking stuffer! or your Hannukah gift or whatever!

You are right, but does it hurt to ask ??? if you are not a expert like lyndon or some of the others the stupidest question seems to be the one you DONT ask, but you have given good advice,I didnt mean to flame the machine, just wanted more information, Merry Christmas to all on the snowcat pages.....

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
OK now that all that is out of the way. When you do buy one we will freely give any and all information we can. If you have questions regarding a particular Snow Trac than ask away. We all have a common cause. To drive one of our machines in the Great White Outback!

I guess it boils down to what the buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to let it go for ? I am suprised it is still for sale with all the chatter about how good of a deal it is... but if you look at the articles that are posted by B Skurka, especially the one that was in the VW magazine, the owner only paid $ 500 dollars for the machine, now that was in British pounds I believe, which converts to about $ 767.00 US dollars in todays standards, but that was in 2003 according to the article, so again, I guess there a deals out there if you keep looking....

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Paul,
Most deals ended with the popularity of this forums board. The odds of you finding "some guy" with a snow cat in his back yard that bobcat hasnt photographed and posted on here are slim to none.....

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Couchloafer how true that is! How true that is. Ive met a couple of Snow Trac owners who ive talked to over the years. A few were even the silent members here who only read the posts and have no desire to post. There are actually allot of members in that catagory. Paul your best bet is to buy a Snow Trac in any condition you can find one in. The better the condition the less work you will have to do or have done (of course). But just get one. Half the fun is working on them. Thats why we are all here. Yah alot of us dont have any mechanical skills ect but we can help because we have already bloodied our knuckles, racked our brains and figured out how to do something better the next time. We are also blessed because we have the Legendary LYNDON on board with us. He has worked on more Snowcats than all of us other members combined. So take the plunge and find what ever you can. We can help with the know how. Thats most of the battle!

I know that bobcat has found a few, but, I have found ( 2 ) thats two, that nobody here has found before, and just by chance they are in the guys back yard of his farm, and soon as he sends me the photos I will be going there with a 1 ton diesel and a tandem trailer......google earth is amazing !!!:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I know that bobcat has found a few, but, I have found ( 2 ) thats two, that nobody here has found before, and just by chance they are in the guys back yard of his farm, and soon as he sends me the photos I will be going there with a 1 ton diesel and a tandem trailer......google earth is amazing !!!:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Snot tracs :neutral: or Kristis? :w00t2:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
and you used google earth to comb areas to deliver the first spark of 'the find' that they are in a certian area? Or did you get some tips or make some other assumptions and then start combing using google earth?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I am sorry for the confusion, I found ( 2 ) real snowcats, they are called Snow-tracs....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

What State? I know of more than two that Bobcat has never seen or posted
one with less than 200 original hours and was in a Museum for awhile the others just run of the mill

Of course I had a tip, I could not just search with google earth with out information, but once I knew the area it was easy to find them, lol

hendog

Love all your notes GREAT CROWD!!!

Hey all , I am that newbe that just bought that 71 Snow trac in BC. Well you asked for pics and I thought I would throw in this festive one. I told my kids that I bet they are the only kids ANYWHERE that went over the hill and through the wood to get a xmas tree!!! What a great time and I am thankful I have met u all on this forums page!!! I am SUPER Hooked!!!!

I gotta say , you guys all make me feel like I got a super deal. I paid 5k for this rig, 1k to ship from BC to the east coast, complete engine rebuild, new head , block and jugs, the whole 9 yards.... The only thing I had to do is do a small fender repair with angle alum. and I will paint it this spring.This thing lived in a heated garage for 20 years. I think I got stupid lucky??? Ya think???

Thanks for making the buy feel even more worth it!

Can anyone point me in the correct direction for the proper paint to use primer ect ,, just want to make sure its the best for the alum.

Enjoy the pic!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4068.jpg
    IMG_4068.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_4065.jpg
    IMG_4065.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_4066.jpg
    IMG_4066.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_4067.jpg
    IMG_4067.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 208

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I Hate you.

.Your one of those guys that probably married a super model too! Some men have all the luck!
OK ok ok So I dont hate you......... Great buy! What a steal. You robbed that man at gun point didnt you. Oh I know what you did. You threatend him right? You said you would give Paul Webster his number If he didnt sell you the Snow Trac! Didnt you.....uhuh uhuhuh. Yup thats what you did!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Very nice Snow Trac. You can now officially make fun of Kristi owners. Well you could have before and no one would have said anything.... Except those pathetic individuals that happen to still own a Kristi. Welcome to the club!