• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lock Tite usage , seeking opinions .

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok this is not really about heavy equipment but I put it here because I would like opinions from experts in the field of the pro's and con's of using lock tite and what applications it should be used on if any , and which should be a definate no . Thanks for any input . :unsure:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Depends on the type of Loctite too.

There are different grades/strengths of Loctite.

Some designed to work like a simple lock washer and hold things in place against vibration but still be easy to disassemble, some designed to nearly permanently fuse the nut to the bolt.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Depends on the type of Loctite too.

There are different grades/strengths of Loctite.

Some designed to work like a simple lock washer and hold things in place against vibration but still be easy to disassemble, some designed to nearly permanently fuse the nut to the bolt.

Good point MD , thanks . I do have a reason for asking as it relates to another thread I started .

So I,ll narrow it down a bit , What are everyones thoughts on using it on bolts & nuts on the inter workings in a gear box , such as ring gear bolts ? :wink:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Good point MD , thanks . I do have a reason for asking as it relates to another thread I started .

So I,ll narrow it down a bit , What are everyones thoughts on using it on bolts & nuts on the inter workings in a gear box , such as ring gear bolts ? :wink:

I've never used it inside a gear box though I've not put one together in a very long time. As for nuts and bolts I used the blue for grip screw bushing in guns as well as sight screws. Stuff that can later be removed with the others holding much stronger with the strongest being very hard to remove later without heat.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Cowboy
you can contact Loc-tight and tell them what you are doing and they will tell you what to use to best do the job you want to do. When I went to desiel tec. Loc-tight came and gave a good demo on their products.

No Im not an EX-spert on anything although I did sleep under a tractor once...........:biggrin::w00t2:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am no expert but did take a 1hr class that locktite gave . seldom use the stud locker but use the medium strength along with the usual locking method. Love the strawberry taste. I still have some small tools glued to the bottom of my tool box when one spilled.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Cowboy - I think that you can use locktite blue with no problems. I suggest that you have the threads clean and oil free as possible. Blue us intended as a thread locker that can be removed by ordinary means. Locktite red is Intended as a permanent lock and must be heated to remove. I used to locktite rod bolts and main bearing caps.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Hopefully dds aol stop by. I am sire that he can provide a definitive answer.

snow dog

I used it once to glue a pen to a guys desk, worked good, when he tried to pull it free, part of the desk top came off !:yum:

loboloco

Cowoy, loc-tite makes a vibration resistant(blue) type that is also oil resistant. Don't think heat would be a major concern on your application, but the call Loc-tite advice is what I wold do.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the input Fellers , personally i have never liked or used the stuff myself . Before the days of nylocks & lock tite I was taught by my uncles (Farmers) and my Dad ( trucking buisness ) all of them repaired their own equipment , To use point punches or chisels to make your own lock nuts or to make damn sure they dont come loose .

The reason I started this thread and asked for opinions is because of what I thought seemed to be stripped threads on the ring gear bolts that sheared off on my tractor . I also cleaned out the holes in the ring gear itself and found what looked & felt like metal thread shavings . The only thing is a magnet wont stick to them , they appear to be black in color .

So I am now wondering if who ever assembled my tractor the last time wether it was the factory in Japan where it was built, or someone that might of did some type of repair before I got it , had put some sort of locktite on the bolts before putting them through the ring gear as well as when they put the lock washers & nuts on it .

It may not really matter , but I'm still wondering what caused 7 of them to be sheared off inside the nut & the last one of the 8 did not . It just dont make any sense to me unless they got sloppy & let whatever sealer set inside the ring gear as well as the nuts before they were properlly torqued . :unsure:

I would be curious to know others thoughts , they also used lock washers, but the bolts seem like they are broke just inside the first thread & the broken end of the bolt doesn't seem to come quite out the end of the nut far enough like they might have been a 16th of an inch to short .

Just trying to figure out the best way to go back together with it . Right now I'm thinking a little longer grade 6 bolt with nylock nuts with no lock washer or thread sealer . Thoughts would be welcome & appreciated, Thanks :wink:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks again guys, Its a non issue now , I just never seen locktite used before in this type of application . I used grade 8 bolts & nyloc nuts . Had to cut a 1/4 inch off the bolts but the ring gear & carrier is bolted back together and i'll start putting it back together in the morning . :wink: