• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trump Proposes Extra $1.6 Billion for NASA's 2024 Return to Moon

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
https://www.space.com/nasa-2024-moon-landing-budget-boost.html

bor by 2024. (Image: © NASA)

NASA's push to put humans on the moon in 2024 may get a financial boost next year.
A new budget amendment gives NASA an additional $1.6 billion in fiscal year 2020, on top of the $21 billion already allocated to the space agency, President Donald Trump announced today (May 13).
"Under my Administration, we are restoring @NASA to greatness and we are going back to the moon, then Mars. I am updating my budget to include an additional $1.6 billion so that we can return to space in a BIG WAY!" Trump said via Twitter this afternoon.
The amendment is a proposal for now, however; NASA won't get the money until Congress, which has the power of the purse, officially signs off.
The extra $1.6 billion is designed to help NASA put astronauts down near the lunar south pole in 2024, an ambitious goal that Vice President Mike Pence laid out in March. (Prior to Pence's announcement, the agency had been working toward a late-2020s crewed lunar landing.) This pioneering mission will help lead to a long-term, sustainable human presence on the moon, NASA officials have said.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The objective is actually Mars. But the moon first as a staging point.

Make America great again Mr Trump. :clap:

Regards, Kirk

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
About damn time!! Moonbase should be close to celebrating (at least) a 30th anniversary by now and we should have a permanent presence on Mars and be well started on terra-forming that planet. It saddens me beyond words that LBJ killed our manned space program, which should have been Kennedy's most lasting legacy.

We've learned a lot with Low Earth Orbit missions but nothing like we could have discovered if we left LEO, established stations at LaGrange Points, and moved on to the other planets. We were ready for it to start raining money and instead of setting out soup pots to collect it, we erected a giant umbrella!

Perhaps we don't deserve the benefits of a robust space presence.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
The only way we ever get to the moon in 5 years is if private enterprise does it and not the government. NASA will still be spending billions testing everything a hundred times over by 2024.

Case in point, who reuses rocket boosters and perfected the technology to save even more money by having them land with rocket power back on the ground? Not NASA. They let them drop into the ocean or burn up in re-entry. Used once, to hell with it, the taxpayer is writing the checks.

Turn the free enterprise system loose and let them prove, yet again, that they can do it cheaper, better and faster than the government ever dreamt possible.

Bamby

Just how does this excess amount of luxury spending justified? I'll stop short of wasteful but building supersized skyrockets is a huge redirect of spending that our infrastructure needed right now. We have roads and bridges in dangerous and deplorable conditions needing replaced or repaired and the fundamentals shoud go wanting because someone wants to build expensive roman candles. It's a real nobrainer to see just way this country in the shape its now in...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just how does this excess amount of luxury spending justified? I'll stop short of wasteful but building supersized skyrockets is a huge redirect of spending that our infrastructure needed right now. We have roads and bridges in dangerous and deplorable conditions needing replaced or repaired and the fundamentals shoud go wanting because someone wants to build expensive roman candles. It's a real nobrainer to see just way this country in the shape its now in...

Why?

Two words...

National pride! :thumbup: There is good in this, just not as tangible as other things.

Regards, Kirk

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
How many things would not even have been invented had it not been for the push to the moon?
You must invest in today, but you also must invest in tomorrow.
I say go for it!

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
https://www.space.com/nasa-2024-moon-landing-budget-boost.html

bor by 2024. (Image: © NASA)

NASA's push to put humans on the moon in 2024 may get a financial boost next year.
A new budget amendment gives NASA an additional $1.6 billion in fiscal year 2020, on top of the $21 billion already allocated to the space agency, President Donald Trump announced today (May 13).
"Under my Administration, we are restoring @NASA to greatness and we are going back to the moon, then Mars. I am updating my budget to include an additional $1.6 billion so that we can return to space in a BIG WAY!" Trump said via Twitter this afternoon.
The amendment is a proposal for now, however; NASA won't get the money until Congress, which has the power of the purse, officially signs off.
The extra $1.6 billion is designed to help NASA put astronauts down near the lunar south pole in 2024, an ambitious goal that Vice President Mike Pence laid out in March. (Prior to Pence's announcement, the agency had been working toward a late-2020s crewed lunar landing.) This pioneering mission will help lead to a long-term, sustainable human presence on the moon, NASA officials have said.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The objective is actually Mars. But the moon first as a staging point.

Make America great again Mr Trump. :clap:

Regards, Kirk

thats cool but unless thats where we are sending the refugees use the money to BUILD THE WALL!