• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bottom Feeders and Free Loaders

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've always had an image in my mind of the types of people who constitute "bottom feeders and free loaders" in our society. Many featured on the website titled People of Walmart come to mind. Some of the images seared into my brain of post Katrina New Orleans also come to mind and maybe my mental images are merely stereotypes but I'm having a difficult time with Limbaugh's labeling the folks protesting in Wisconsin "bottomfeeders and freeloaders". I see the images of those folks and they look like me and you. They look like my family, my friends, my neighbors.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/41675492#41675492

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I could only stand watching the first couple of minutes of that jerk.
PS- Letecia, your box is full lol

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
If by "jerk" you mean Ed, I couldn't agree more, Lollie.

I don't know that I would consider the misguided, ignorant people "demonstrating" in Madison, bottom feeders or freeloaders. I do believe that collective bargaining for public sector unions is an inherent conflict of interest with an open door to rampant corruption and should be eliminated.

If I hear one more bleeding heart teacher wining about how bad they have it with what amounts to a part time job, for premium full time pay and off the scale benefits and retirement, I'm going to scream.

These people in Madison either need to go back to work or they get fired. Period.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
If by "jerk" you mean Ed, I couldn't agree more, Lollie.

These people in Madison either need to go back to work or they get fired. Period.

Put me down as a +10 on that one....AV8r.......worked all my adult life as union....but sence about 1994 Im becoming repulsed by the public sector unions :sad:.just my feelings.....

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Just read a opinion piece by Phil Kerpen.... on unions stand that might enterest folks on fox.com....dont know how to bring forward the link....tried but it didnt work.....

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
This?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/02/21/unions-stand-taxpayers-fight-good-fight/

It's the Unions' Last Stand, and Taxpayers Must Fight the Good Fight

By Phil Kerpen
Published February 21, 2011
| FoxNews.com

The battle raging in Wisconsin has huge implications for all American taxpayers, who will be forced to shoulder the burden of out of control government spending at the state, local and federal level. The bosses -- either from the union or the Democratic Party -- who depend on a steady flow of union dues into their political coffers are desperate because they understand the stakes.
So, too, must taxpayers.
This fight will decide whether union bosses can bleed taxpayers dry no matter what happens in elections, or whether electing limited-government conservatives can result in meaningful change.
Union membership is in free-fall in the private economy. In 2010, private sector union membership reached 6.9 percent, a record low. That means 93.1 percent of workers in the private economy are not union members – a higher level than when FDR signed the Wagner Act into law in 1935. It makes sense, because workers have seen unions cripple industries like autos, steel and airlines. They’ve seen union bosses make such outrageous demands that companies end up in bankruptcy and workers lose their jobs. Most workers would simply prefer to negotiate their own salary and benefits than to let union bosses destroy more companies and industries.
The government sector is different, and it’s the union bosses’ last stand. There are now more government workers in unions than private workers: 7.6 million to 7.1 million. And government unions can keep making demands without a real risk of putting local, state or federal governments out of business (although some are now teetering on the brink of bankruptcy) because governments have a taxation power to force citizens to cover the cost of union demands.

Government unions are a relatively new phenomenon, and were created not because they served a legitimate economic or social purpose, but out of cynical political considerations. This began in the 1950s when New York Mayor Robert Wagner issued an executive order unionizing city employees to create a new constituency for his re-election. Traditionally, union organizers oppose government unions because they were concerned that their industrial union workers would be forced to pay higher taxes if civil servants were able to artificially force an increase in their compensation.
Over time, the Democratic Party, and especially its big city machines, became utterly dependent on the dues and manpower of government unions for their political organizing. A vicious cycle developed in which taxpayer dollars flowed in ever larger amounts to salaries, wages and benefits of government workers – who were forced to send a portion to the union bosses -- which was funneled back into political organizing in exchange for more unsustainable increases in spending.
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is courageously taking on the machines to break this cycle. His eminently reasonable Budget Repair Bill asks government workers to pay 5.8 percent of their salary to cover half the cost of their pension. It asks them to pay 12.4 percent of their own health care premiums – about half the national average. But what has the Democratic senators fleeing the state and the Democratic National Committee pouring in resources is that Walker’s plan strictly limits collective bargaining to salary increases that are less than the consumer price index, gives workers an annual secret-ballot vote on keeping the union, and allows workers to choose – rather than be forced – to pay union dues.
If Walker can be derailed despite the fact the people of Wisconsin elected him as well as Republican majorities in both the Assembly and Senate precisely to rein in out of control spending, the message will be that government unions and their Democratic allies are above the law. That senators can flee the state instead of doing their jobs and be rewarded for it. That the president and his political organizers can come into a state and disrupt its legitimate legislative process.
The stakes are simply too high to allow that to happen. States and cities all over the country are straining under the weight of government unions, as is the federal government. We must get government spending under control now, before we reach a genuine Greece-like crisis point. We are all Wisconsinites now, and we must stand with Scott Walker.
Phil Kerpen is vice president of policy for Americans for Prosperity, which is supporting Scott Walker at www.StandWithWalker.com.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
The latest news that I have heard locally is that new legislation, not related to funding so not requiring the quorum (20 senators), will be put forward ending collective bargaining rights for public sector unions.

Let the democRATs hide in Illinois and this legislation will be passed anyway.

mak2

I dont think anyone is really addressing the doctors writing sick slips for teachers they know are not sick. Most doctors are more honest than that and hopefully most teachers are too. I dont know if I beleive it is a wide spread practice. If it is true there is a problem right there. Really surprising.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-call...n-wi-fraud-cnn-calls-it-helping-out-teachers/

Fox Calls Doctors Writing Sick Slips In WI “Fraud,” CNN Calls It “Helping Out”
» 239 commentsby Matt Schneider | 3:51 pm, February 20th, 2011
VideoAs news in the Wisconsin union protests continues to develop, it’s interesting to get different perspectives on the same events. Are public school teachers unfairly being asked to make economic sacrifices and noble for standing up for themselves or are they selfishly calling in sick and wrong for forcing kids to miss out on school? Your answer might depend on which news channel you’re watching.

On Fox News, Mike Tobin interviewed some residents of the state who claimed that it was extremely easy to get a doctor to give them a sick note, thus enabling public employees to take off from work to protest without any risk. News anchor Gregg Jarrett responded, “That’s incredible news if it’s true. That’s basically fraud by doctors incidental to the breach of a teacher contract, which prohibits them from calling in sick to protest.”

Over on CNN, the story was essentially the same, but the tone decidedly different. Casey Wian reported that “Doctors are writing notes . . . they’re helping out the teachers. There’s some concern that some of those doctors may be putting themselves in jeopardy because they are writing notes for teachers who obviously aren’t sick.” Anchor Martin Savage just responded with “very interesting.”

Given that it’s not legal or ethical for a doctor to write someone a sick note for work when they are perfectly healthy, whether such behavior is merely “helping out” is up for you to decide.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I sure as hell hope they set an example for NY. Our government costs are out of this world.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Apparently most of these "doctors" are interns from the University there in Madison. They have the permission and encouragement from their professor-doctors who are also on scene doing the same thing.

mak2

If this is true it is very unprofessional and dishonest. I might be niaeve but I have a hard time believing this. I came back to this cause I find it very.....I guess just offensive.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
As for bottom feeders, yes, leaving school to protest, and to get doctor's excuses to cover their asses, yes, liars, cheats, and bottom feeders. How can these people be teachers? Do as I say not as I do. Fine citizens. Right.

Listening in on am radio on the way in today. It was said that when they reconvene in Madison Tuesday, if the dems don't show up, the repubs could actually vote for anything non-financial, like, voter id, Concealed carry, fire all the dems staffs, etc.

Alas, no balls though, so it won't happen.

Now, If I were governer, the docket would be full of bills.

Fire any and all teachers and any state paid workers identified on videos of the last 5 days, decertify the union. All by 9am Tuesday. By 10 am, ccw, voter id enacted. By 11am, strangle the DNR. By noon, find any law favoring unions, union hacks, organizers, etc, and nullify it. By 1pm, defund the med school at Madison. By 2pm, abolish corporate taxes. By 3pm, abolish any Wisconsin funded welfare, but do offer any offended by this a free map and directions to Min. or Ill. or Iowa.

Overnight, the state will be the most desirable to do business in.

mak2

As for bottom feeders, yes, leaving school to protest, and to get doctor's excuses to cover their asses, yes, liars, cheats, and bottom feeders. How can these people be teachers? Do as I say not as I do. Fine citizens. Right.

Listening in on am radio on the way in today. It was said that when they reconvene in Madison Tuesday, if the dems don't show up, the repubs could actually vote for anything non-financial, like, voter id, Concealed carry, fire all the dems staffs, etc.

Alas, no balls though, so it won't happen.

Now, If I were governer, the docket would be full of bills.

Fire any and all teachers and any state paid workers identified on videos of the last 5 days, decertify the union. All by 9am Tuesday. By 10 am, ccw, voter id enacted. By 11am, strangle the DNR. By noon, find any law favoring unions, union hacks, organizers, etc, and nullify it. By 1pm, defund the med school at Madison. By 2pm, abolish corporate taxes. By 3pm, abolish any Wisconsin funded welfare, but do offer any offended by this a free map and directions to Min. or Ill. or Iowa.

Overnight, the state will be the most desirable to do business in.

Yes, but hell for its citizens. Hey, did you get rid of minimum wage too? Why not?

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Damn Waybomb...you hit it on the head.......it sure would be fun to say the least!!!!:yum: As for being bottom feeders I for one think most of the folks there sure fit the bill.......off work under false reasons seems to me to fit the notch.........:hammer:

mak2

Of course there is no evidence there was any teachers, let alone a significant number of teachers, turning in fake doctors excuses. I should have fact checked.

McIver news? what is that?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
What's Happening in Wisconsin Explained--

The basics:
For days, demonstrators have been pouring into the streets of Madison, Wisconsin—and the halls of the state's Capitol building—to protest rookie Republican Governor Scott Walker's anti-union proposals. Big national unions, both major political parties, the Tea Party, and Andrew Breitbart are already involved. Democratic state senators have fled the state to prevent the legislature from voting on Walker's proposals. And the protests could soon spread to other states, including Ohio.
Is this like Egypt?
No.

What's actually being proposed?
Walker says his legislation, which would strip most state employees of any meaningful collective bargaining rights, is necessary to close the state's $137 million budget gap. There are a number of problems with that argument, though. The unions are not to blame for the deficit, and stripping unionized workers of their collective bargaining rights won't in and of itself save any money. Walker says he needs to strip the unions of their rights to close the gap. But public safety officers' unions, which have members who are more likely to support Republicans and who also tend to have the highest salaries and benefits, are exempted from the new rules. Meanwhile, a series of tax breaks and other goodies that Walker and the Republican legislature passed just after his inauguration dramatically increased the deficit that Walker now says he's trying to close. And Wisconsin has closed a much larger budget gap in the past without scrapping worker organizing rights.

What's really going on, as Kevin Drum has explained, is pure partisan warfare: Walker is trying to de-fund the unions that form the backbone of the Democratic party. The unions and the Democrats are, of course, fighting back. The Washington Post's Ezra Klein drops some knowledge [emphasis added]:

wisconsin-protest-capitol-rotunda_0.jpg

Activists protesting new GOP Gov. Scott Walker's anti-union proposals have occupied the rotunda of the Wisconsin capitol building in Madison for the past week. They say they have no plans to leave unless Walker backs down.
The best way to understand Walker's proposal is as a multi-part attack on the state's labor unions. In part one, their ability to bargain benefits for their members is reduced. In part two, their ability to collect dues, and thus spend money organizing members or lobbying the legislature, is undercut. And in part three, workers have to vote the union back into existence every single year. Put it all together and it looks like this: Wisconsin's unions can't deliver value to their members, they're deprived of the resources to change the rules so they can start delivering value to their members again, and because of that, their members eventually give in to employer pressure and shut the union down in one of the annual certification elections.
You may think Walker's proposal is a good idea or a bad idea. But that's what it does. And it's telling that he's exempting the unions that supported him and is trying to obscure his plan's specifics behind misleading language about what unions can still bargain for and misleading rhetoric about the state's budget.
Walker's proposals do have important fiscal elements: they roughly double health care premiums for many state employees. But the heart of the proposals, and the controversy, are the provisions that will effectively destroy public-sector unions in the Badger State. As Matt Yglesias notes, this won't destroy the Democratic party. But it will force the party to seek funding from sources other than unions, and that usually means the same rich businessmen who are the main financial backers for the Republican party. Speaking of which....

Who is Scott Walker?
Walker was elected governor in the GOP landslide of 2010, when Republicans also gained control of the Wisconsin state senate and house of representatives. His political career has been bankrolled by Charles and David Koch, the very rich, very conservative, and very anti-union oil-and-gas magnates. Koch-backed groups like Americans for Prosperity, the Cato Institute, the Competitive Enterprise Institute, and the Reason Foundation have long taken a very antagonistic view toward public-sector unions. They've used their vast fortunes to fight key Obama initiatives on health care and the environment, while writing fat checks to Republican candidates across the country. Walker's take for the 2010 election: $43,000 from the Koch Industries PAC, his second highest intake from any one donor. But that's not all!:
The Koch's PAC also helped Walker via a familiar and much-used political maneuver designed to allow donors to skirt campaign finance limits. The PAC gave $1 million to the Republican Governors Association, which in turn spent $65,000 on independent expenditures to support Walker. The RGA also spent a whopping $3.4 million on TV ads and mailers attacking Walker's opponent, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett. Walker ended up beating Barrett by 5 points. The Koch money, no doubt, helped greatly.
What are the Democrats and the unions doing to respond?
Well, they're protesting, obviously—filling the halls of the Capitol and the streets of Madison with bodies and signs. They're calling their representatives and talking about recalling Walker (who cannot be recalled until next January) or any of eight GOP state senators who are eligible for recall right now. Meanwhile, all of the Democratic state senators have left the state in an attempt to deny Republicans the quorum they need to vote on Walker's proposals, but if just one of them returns (or is hauled back by state troopers), the GOP will have the quorum they need. (Interestingly, the head of the state patrol in the father of the Republican heads of the state senate and house of representatives, who are brothers.) Finally, Wisconsin public school teachers have been calling in sick, forcing schools to close while teachers in over a dozen other school districts picket the capitol, plan vigils, and set up phone banks to try to block Walker's effort.

How could this spread?
Other Republican-governed states are trying to mimic Walker's assault on public employee unions. The GOP won a resounding series of state-level victories in high-union-density states in November. Now they can use their newly-won power to crack down on one of the Democrats' biggest sources of funds, volunteers, and political power. Plans are already under consideration in places like Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan.

Speaking of Ohio:
As Suzy Khimm outlined on Friday, an estimated 3,800-5,000 protestors came out in full fury in Columbus, Ohio, to vent their anger over a similar anti-union bill that would limit workers' rights to bargain for health insurance, end automatic pay increases, and infringe upon teachers' rights to pick their classes and schools. As in Wisconsin, both the Ohio state house and governor's mansion flipped from blue to red last year. "This has little to do with balancing this year's budget," former Governor Ted Strickland told the AP. "I think it's a power grab. It's an attempt to diminish the rights of working people. I think it's an assault of the middle class of this state and it's so unfair and out of balance."

How are conservatives working to support Walker?:
It was only a matter of time till the Tea Party got in on the action. Stephanie Mencimer reports that activists are bussing into Madison, and are "promising a massive counter-demonstration." The push is being led by American Majority, a conservative activist group that trains impressionable young foot soldiers to become state-level candidates (check out their ""I Stand With Scott Walker Rally" Facebook page). Founded by Republican operatives, the well-funded group (which, according to tax fillings, had a budget of nearly $2 million in 2009) gets much of its money from a group with ties to those adorable Koch brothers. Conservative media baron Andrew Breitbart will be leading the rally, and will be joined by presidential candidate Herman Cain and maybe—if we're lucky—Joe "The Plumber" Wurtzelbacher. Expect fireworks.

More here..

RedRocker

Democracy is a wonderful thing, cept when your side loses, then it's time to ditch that idea and whine like little bitches or run away like little girls or liberals, sorry for the redundancy. Personally, any teacher caught lying about being sick should get fired. Any doctor caught writing fraudulent notes should be prosecuted for fraud. The chickenshit legislators should be recalled and fired as well. That's how you stop that shit. Kind of a Reagan flight controller moment.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Democracy is a wonderful thing, cept when your side loses, then it's time to ditch that idea and whine like little bitches or run away like little girls or liberals, sorry for the redundancy. Personally, any teacher caught lying about being sick should get fired. Any doctor caught writing fraudulent notes should be prosecuted for fraud. The chickenshit legislators should be recalled and fired as well. That's how you stop that shit. Kind of a Reagan flight controller moment.
:flowers::wow:.<~ :wink:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'

Amen, brother. It's time we took our country back. :hammer: