• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ebay question

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I won an item on ebay (stereo equipment) which was started at a low price, with a shipping quote as per their listing of $30. The item I bid on I turned out to be the only bidder, and won the item at the low starting bid. After paying via paypal/credit card, the amount the seller invoiced me for, he replies back to me 4 days later that the item will cost $50 to ship due to it being heavier than he thought, & he wants me to send another $20 !!!

WTF ??

Can I make him honor the original invoice ?

I'm sure he wants to relist it for more $$ as the shipping even at the first $30 quote was more than the item sold for.

He offered to refund my payment.........but I want the item !!

If he does do a refund, will paypal pound me for their standard 3 % fee ??

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
He has clearly described himself as someone who won't adhere to his original terms.

My advice is bail out.

There are all sorts of sellers on ebay and you will have happy transactions only with the better half. This guy isn't in the better half.

One of my rules for ebay: as soon as you get a hint that things are going weird, bail.
I think I've avoided a lot of grief that way. It's the Wild West out there. You don't have any way to force a seller to conform to terms that he thinks are unreasonable even if he wrote them himself. The potential for a bad outcome is substantial while the chance of forcing him to conform to the terms you like is nil.

Of course if you want to back down and pay his price, fine, but now you know he's not a straight-up guy which might also be a clue the merchandise isn't first rate. And the return shipping would be real expensive at the new rates if you find a problem. I'd bail.

Last edited:

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I'm sure the extra "shipping" is for the $20 he didn't make
originally. When I sell something, I quote the shipping as best I can
based on size & weight, & if I screw up it's my bad ..........I just
eat the additional cost & hope to make it up somewhere else.

UPDATE: He says he already sent me a refund via paypal even since I
made the first post.

What about feedback ??

Kinda like a playground fight.......I slam him, he slams
me.............

Another thing........I bought from him before & now get treated like
s/!t......................

Proof that it's ALL about the $$$

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom,

Tell him you would expect him to credit the paypal fee also since it was his mistake. If not I would threaten by telling him you will give him bad feedback. He is a seller of other things the way it sounds. I ran into a similar situation. I won on an item, told the guy I would come and pick it up and told him the exact time I would be there. He wrote back and said he would not be around and would contact when he got back from his hunting trip. After 5 emails to him I finally gave up on the item. He would not reply to my emails. This was last September. He re-posted the item just three weeks ago and I wrote him another letter of which he replied. He denied he ever got any emails from me. Blamed the whole thing on me as it was my fault and then bitched because he was going to have to honor his price from last fall when he could now sell it for a couple hundred bucks more this spring. I finally told him to basically shove the corn planter up his you know what, he was not able to even sell the thing as he did not get one offer on it. So I am laughing cause he could have had it sold. But I don't trust Ebay and never will.

murph

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
TOMLESCOEQUIP said:
UPDATE: He says he already sent me a refund via paypal even since I made the first post.

What about feedback ??

Kinda like a playground fight.......I slam him, he slams
me.............
Just walk away. Like they told you in kindergarden.

If he really did refund your payment, there's no way to improve your outcome.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
California said:
Just walk away. Like they told you in kindergarden.

If he really did refund your payment, there's no way to improve your outcome.

True, but on eBay there are thousands of criminals who do not have feedback that state as such since they threaten honest people with negative feedback (lies) if what they did is reported as it should be in their feedback. I've long ago quit trying to have a "perfect" feedback rating when thieves have threatened feedback retaliation against me. I feel that if I don't report criminals for what they are, I am not helping out fellow honest people the way I would want them to help me. The only "negatives" I have are from people who have tried to extort money from me or from people who have retaliated against me when I properly reported that they cheated me. As I seem to always say now, oh well...

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Update........Left negative feedback & got mine in return as expected. At least someone else may be spared the trouble I went thru by avoiding the seller.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
You can still post a Reply to Feedback or whatever they call it, so your feedback list tells what happened to you. I don't think bad experiences as a buyer, harm your reputation as a seller.

Thank you for tagging this idiot!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, I would leave a reply on the retaliatory feedback you got and explain that is what it is. I actually think some people will be less likely to extort or steal from you; knowing that you will let others know no matter what they threaten to put in your feedback. Unfortunately it's a bs deal. A long time ago people could leave you feedback when they didn't even buy from you or you didn't even buy from them. I think some kids thought it was funny to stay up all night and leave people negative feedback at random just for the hell of it. Sure you could leave them negative explaining that you have never done business with them, but what did it matter when they had a -8 for a feedback rating. :smileywac Fortunately eBay changed it a few years ago to where you had to be involved in a transaction with the person to be able to leave or receive feedback. Now if they could just have a way where, if you could prove that someone left you neg for no reason, they'd remove it. On "eBay chat", one of the eBay employees told me that they estimate that 25% of all negative feedback is in direct retaliation from a crooked person who screwed a buyer or seller.

I got whacked twice from junk cell phone dealers. I bought a battery etc., paid for it, and the item never arrived. When I emailed them for weeks, no reply. Then, when I finally leave them negative feedback, bam!, they give me a bs neg in return. I still ask WTF!?? You get cheated and get a neg. There's just something wrong with that picture. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel that if I don't leave a neg for theives, I do a disservice to all others on eBay. Some criminals have a 100% rating just because they threaten people with a neg in return. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately, eBay doesn't give a shit. As long as they get their fees, they couldn't possibly care less about feedback or even crime on their system. Hell, I get two or three phishing emails from criminals prowling eBay daily. I thought eBay wasn't supposed to give out your email address...