• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTS 1975 Spryte Wide Track $27,500 **SOLD!**

Taxrulz

1975 Thiokol Spryte 1201-WT

Price: $27,500 or best offer
Hours: 145

Tracks: Wide Track
Cab: 4 door, 6 Passenger
Engine: Ford Industrial 300 cubic inch, straight 6
Transmission: Ford C-6, 3-speed automatic
Rear Differential, OC-12 with Spryte Improvement stainless slave cylinders and newer hydraulic lines
Tracks: Good condition
Grousers: Excellent
Tires: all foam filled and in good condition
Width: 9’ 10”
Length: 13’ 6”
Weight: 6,088 pounds
Fuel Tank: 42 gallons

History: The original owner was Southern California Edison. The snow cat was warehoused in Pomona California—not a lot of snow in Pomona, California. The Spryte was warehoused and only used when there was a line problem in the local Southern California, San Gabriel Mountains. The machine was well taken care of and had only 79 hours.

Snowtrans Sales Unlimited, in Weiser, Idaho, purchased the machine in 2009 from Southern California Edison and made all the necessary improvements at that time.

Snowtrans sold it to a private party in Oregon that used it sparingly for cabin access through 2013 when it was sold for cabin access in Utah with 91 total hours (used 12 hours in four years). The Spryte was used to access a cabin in Guardsman Pass (elevation 9700 feet) until the owner (RJohnson on the Forum) purchased a LMC 1500 for faster speed. He said he added the altitude adjustable carburetor and while the wide-track Spryte was slower but never got stuck like the LMC does occasionally. In 2015, when shipped to Colorado (NailedElk on the Forum) the Spryte had 131 hours (used 40 hours in 2 years). In Colorado the machine was purchased for remote cabin access, but sat almost unused because a neighbor bought a large plow truck and began plowing past the owner’s cabin. The Colorado owner put two new 12 volt Interstate batteries in before the sale.

I brought the Spryte back to Utah in 2019 with 134 hours (used 3 hours in four years). I cleaned out the fuel system, replaced the windshield wiper, got a cover for the cab, put in a new fuel filter, changed the oil to Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic, and put a new distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, and spark plugs. It starts on the first try and runs strong. I’ve added 10-11 hours this winter. My cabin HOA just decided to begin plowing to the well near my cabin late this fall, so a machine this capable is more than I need right now.

If you need a snow cat this is one you should carefully consider. I have operation, maintenance, and parts manuals. The track belting has a little weather cracking, but that’s probably to be expected and likely has years of wear left. The idler wheels and sprockets are in nice shape. The grousers still have original factory paint on them. The cab is stock, basic with no insulation or finished interior. The stock seats are comfortable with a couple of small splits. The front doors could use some weather stripping and the sliding windows channel could use replacing. The paint is starting to show some age. It runs strong, but could probably have the valve cover gasket replaced. Excellent candidate for a restoration should you desire.

Machine is located in Midway, Utah just south of Park City, Utah.

Asking price is $27,500. This machine is in excellent overall condition with the low hours (criminally low). You will have to look very hard to find a Spryte in better overall mechanical condition, and certainly not at this price.

Attachments

• Jan 2 2020.jpg
    Jan 2 2020.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 1,123
  • Feb 2020.jpg
    Feb 2020.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,108
  • IMG_3981.jpg
    IMG_3981.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 1,104

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: WTS 1975 Spryte Wide Track $27,500

Sure is a dream of a machine with those criminally low hours!
GLWS!!!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

In air combat there’s a saying: “You fight the man, not the machine”. The takeaway from that is when buying a used snowcat, and especially so when buying one long distance, who you’re buying from is crucially important to a successful purchase experience. I’ve met Taxrulz in person, and he strikes me as an honest, stand-up guy.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say his Spryte is in virtually "time-capsule” condition. Call it 150 hours over 45 years... is 3 hours and 20 minutes of usage…per year. If you started it once a month and let it idle for five minutes…that’s an hour per year. One of my sayings is "The cheapest snowcat is rarely the best value”. I firmly believe that, and paying-up for one in excellent condition is money well spent.

If I were looking for a nice Thiokol/DMC/LMC I’d be all over this one...

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

If anyone is doubting the hours. look at the grousers.

the side hilling tabs tell all about hours. on all snow cats.

those grousers are as new.

I'm not in the market, for a wide track, but this cat looks the part.

I have always liked the silhouette of the trees on this cat.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Get that synthetic motor oil out of that thing before you need a camshaft.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Should be fine, I'm just trying to get the word out.

Taxrulz

The wide-track spryte is also listed on KSL. Price has been lowered to $25,000--but is firm.