• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Runaway truck ramp is the most used in the world

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
P6170107.jpg
The steep grade of U.S. Highway 16 claims both the lives - and the brakes - of many travelers each year. Locals have dubbed a section of it "Dead Man's Curve" and for good reason – there have been three deaths near mile post 85 and on the 14 miles of highway before it and more than 200 accidents since 2001.

On April 1, a Texas man lost control of his semi-trailer rig and crashed through the guardrail, plunging some 300 feet into Clear Creek near the Mozier Gulch Picnic Area, after passing not one, but two runaway truck ramps. Oscar L. Vizcarra, of Lewisville, Texas, burned through his brakes coming down the mountain, according to Sgt. Stephen Townsend of the Wyoming Highway Patrol, and died at the scene. Stories like this are too common on this section of the fated highway.

In 2004, the Wyoming Department of Transportation installed a state-of-the-art runaway truck ramp based on the military's aircraft carrier technology. The ramp, less than a mile from "Dead Man's Curve," is the most used of its kind in the world.
More info:
http://www.buffalobulletin.com/news/local_news/article_b3088df8-ea17-595d-b96e-14ea85b8a164.html

Another link below with pics of trucks/vehicles who have used the aircraft style Runaway truck ramp and the wrecks at dead mans curve of those who did not use the ramp systems in place along highway 16.

http://www.wyoroad.info/Highway/RunawayTruckRampInfo2012.pdf

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I always see ramps with deep sand that just bury the truck up to the axles.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The problem with the use of sand ramps on this highway is that the downhill traffic is always against the cliff side of the road. Just past the new runaway ramp we still have the old sand ramp but a vehicle must cross traffic that is coming up the mountain to use the ramp. It is just in the next curve below the one in the article. The sand ramp still gets some use as most drivers do not understand nor have they ever seen how to use the one in the article. It does work and I have seen several vehicles entangled in the steel straps.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting. That runaway sure looks tight, especially for an 18 wheeler. :eek:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting. That runaway sure looks tight, especially for an 18 wheeler. :eek:
That is part of the concept to keep the truck upright in the chute. Notice the height of the side walls is taller than the wheels of an 18 wheeler. This allows the cable system to absorb the energy and stop the truck without it flipping over the wall.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is part of the concept to keep the truck upright in the chute. Notice the height of the side walls is taller than the wheels of an 18 wheeler. This allows the cable system to absorb the energy and stop the truck without it flipping over the wall.
Thanks Muley. I'd never seen one like that.

the old trucker

View attachment 73241
The steep grade of U.S. Highway 16 claims both the lives - and the brakes - of many travelers each year. Locals have dubbed a section of it "Dead Man's Curve" and for good reason – there have been three deaths near mile post 85 and on the 14 miles of highway before it and more than 200 accidents since 2001.

Anyone know what the % of grade this road is & how long it is ? We have one here that is 17 % up for about 2 1/2 KM. long & 17 % down the other side with a 1200 ft. drop on the downhill sides. All is there for safety is gaurd rails.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the old trucker;647180 said:
Anyone know what the % of grade this road is & how long it is ? We have one here that is 17 % up for about 2 1/2 KM. long & 17 % down the other side with a 1200 ft. drop on the downhill sides. All is there for safety is gaurd rails.

Sounds to me like a very good pace for a run out like is in Wyoming. Are there fatalities there very often?

Regards, Kirk

the old trucker

Sounds to me like a very good pace for a run out like is in Wyoming. Are there fatalities there very often?

Regards, Kirk

Not that I know for & I've been driving for 30 yrs. One driver went down in a tandem dump (22 ton) & got his brakes hot, he jumped out, truck went to the bottom of the hill with the dump slicing off the cab & engine. I've travelled that highway a fair bit. Down here we gross 110,000 lbs. With a load on I usually clilmb the hill in 3-4 gear & go down the other side in second gear, jake on & feather the brakes once in awhile. It took time but I'm still kicking !!!