• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2100 steering bands

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
for the few and proud 2100 owners I have now studied and learned about the hydraulic steering system on the 2100. here's the scoop in the 2100's steering (mike listen up because from what I have found all diesels used the twin cylinder system). Thiokol used 2 systems one was two levers and 1 master cylinder ,for dead stick braking. the other system used dual cylinders. the hydraulic oil is dropped to 500 psi through a regulator valve than runs through a divider valve than to each steering valve, from there it goes to the back to the return when a lever is pulled it closes off the return and applies pressure to the slaves. on the single master cylinder systems there is a shuttle valve and supply off the hydraulic system to feed it the shuttle valves work like a hydraulic diode letting oil flow from one valve or the other. on the twin cylinder models it flows to both masters than to the slaves. here is the importance I had a master cylinder stick what happened next sucks as bad as the rest of my Sunday trip my steering on left side disappeared but the left valve seemed stiff all the time I couldn't figure it out. until I talked with snow cat pat today. I bypased the cylinder and now it works like a charm steering to the left still sucks so I pulled the cover because of the dragging brake ,and a 130 mile trip I now have to purchase a band for it to .I know one is supposed to take the chunk out to replace the bands but it looks to me like I can do it with out a complete tear down those who have the experience please chime in.

Gren

Replaceing bands requires a little patience and some luck with threading the bands down and around the drums.

I just had a rebuild of the the rear end which included replacing the left brake drum and both bands to correct a poor left steering problem from the previous season. They were bad and did need replacing but it did not fix the problem.

Still has almost no steering to the left. Rigged up my pressure gage between the left slave cylinder and the incomming brake line. Max pressure is about 225 psi and the manual calls for 400.

Any hydraulics experts have any suggestions onwhere I should go next ? The right steering is working.

when we had a 2100 at the tubing hill we ran it for 15 carefree years------other than tracks------never had to work on steering----sounds like maybe blockage----I have seen rubber lines swell shut on the inside---or maybe swap line from side to side to see if steering changes ---- is your system all manual or does it have hyd. asst.-------can u swap lines at rear end---that will tell u if the trouble is on the way back from the cab controls

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Replaceing bands requires a little patience and some luck with threading the bands down and around the drums.

I just had a rebuild of the the rear end which included replacing the left brake drum and both bands to correct a poor left steering problem from the previous season. They were bad and did need replacing but it did not fix the problem.

Still has almost no steering to the left. Rigged up my pressure gage between the left slave cylinder and the incomming brake line. Max pressure is about 225 psi and the manual calls for 400.

Any hydraulics experts have any suggestions onwhere I should go next ? The right steering is working.
check pressure on the other side the system runs off flow all the time through the actuators when you pull the levers you block return pressure and line pressure builds. there is a pressure regulator valve that controls pressure before the levers it may be your problem I have found the old politically incorrect oem material bites better than the new green stuff if you are running green you may need to adjust the pressure higher.