• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stampede Pass SAR training

PJL

Today we went up to Stampede Pass and trained with SAR. They wanted to do avalanche training and patient packaging. We used the LMC, a Snotrac, several sleds, tracked quads and a tracked 4 person Polaris Ranger XP to transport them to the training area.

Of course no snowcat outing is complete without some sort of "adventure". The Snotrac still overheats. The LMC took a corner a little sharp and the soft shoulder gave way. It slipped off the edge and looked like it would roll. The operator, (who shall remain anonymous) turned it downhill which prevented a rollover. The area below the road is an open marsh in the summer. Took about 30 minutes of shoveling to clear a path. It drove right out of the hole it created and back on the road. (Rumor is there are photos on the internet.) So not stuck, just delayed. Weather was warm and wet for the most part.

Attachments

• _DSC7914.jpg
    _DSC7914.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 217
  • _DSC7915.jpg
    _DSC7915.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 223
  • _DSC7918.jpg
    _DSC7918.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 211
  • _DSC7919.jpg
    _DSC7919.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 219
  • _DSC7936.jpg
    _DSC7936.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 200
  • _DSC7942.jpg
    _DSC7942.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 212
  • _DSC7943.jpg
    _DSC7943.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 202

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
looks like a good day .I noticed snow still on the trees. have them get that exhaust out of the engine bay on the snow trac.
jim

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
How do those tracked quads do compared to a snowcat? I have heard they get stuck much easier and more often. What has been your experience or observation?

PJL

I think the tracked quads do best on compacted roads and trails. Not so well in deep soft snow. When we went to Goldmyer last year to rescue the family. The tracked UTV, same one pictured here, had to follow the cat. Snow was 2-3 feet deep on a road. Even then it destroyed the clutch on the way back.

Last edited:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
PJL,

I'm a believer in avalanche beacons and training. I say that after being caught in an avalanche while snowmobiling and getting buried. Most fortunately, despite a considerable amount of deposition I was close to the surface, facing up and was able to get a hand through the snow and help dig myself out. The sled was almost brand new (third ride) and it didn't fare so well, but it too lived for another day.

I was pretty conscientious afterward about wearing a beacon, but the reality is without training and practice at how to use them, they are almost worthless. As a group, once in a while we would bury a beacon and the others would try and find it. If you picture the three stooges attempting that task, you've got a good visual. I hope the current generation of beacons are much better and more user-friendly.

Thank you for all you do...

PJL

Beacons are pretty easy to use, but like you said they need some practice. Shoveling is no fun at all. I dug up one yesterday that was maybe 2 feet down. In soft snow. It was a lot of work.

Beacon use seems to be hit and miss. You have the people that think it will never happen to them and won't carry one. Even solo hikers, skiers etc should carry one.

We get a fair number of avalanche rescues and recoveries here. Skiers, hikers, snowmobilers. So yeah it can happen.

Found this on the Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeMGvX8cAUs

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
great job and think you PJL and your crew do so much with even a thank you, I truly appreciate all you do and the wisdom you share

is not the point of side by side with tracks is SPEED, and damn be the cost to the machine

PJL

The alleged photos have surfaced. Travel delay time was around 30 minutes before it was mobile again. Afterwards the hapless operator was thrown into the pit to pay homage to the snowcat Gods for their kindness.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3419.jpg
    IMG_3419.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg