• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

FCC bans robocalls, texts

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
FCC bans robocalls, texts
By Rachel Tesler Published August 04, 2019TechnologyFOXBusiness

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/fcc-bans-robocalls-texts

The Federal Communications Commission voted to approve laws that ban fraudulent text messages and international robocalls last week.

The new rules in effect neutralize loopholes in the Truth in Caller ID Act, which banned spoofing domestic calls but made it hard for the FCC to prosecute against perpetrators of scam text messages and international calls. Now, the FCC can monitor and penalize "bad actors" behind these types of schemes.

FCC Chair Ajit Pai proposed the legislation earlier this summer. Pai announced the approval, acknowledging the FCC has received tens of thousands of complaints about "spoofing" just this year.

“Caller ID spoofing,” which uses area codes similar to the receiver’s own, makes it more likely that the call receiver will pick up.

The AARP Fraud Watch Network estimates that 48 billion robocalls were made last year and it’s rising – these estimates are up 57 percent from last year.

To address this mounting problem, the House last week also passed a bipartisan bill that requires carriers to authenticate every call and to offer opt-out blocking for free. The Federal Trade Commission has increased enforcement by bringing lawsuits against groups responsible for more than a billion robocalls.

While legislative changes are being made for consumer protection, the FCC recommends Americans add their phone numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry by visiting www.donotcall.gov Opens a New Window. or calling 1-888-382-1222 from the phone number being registered. They estimate this step will reduce telemarketing calls within 31 days of registering the number.

Get real-time updates on this issue by visiting FCC Initiatives to Combat Robocalls and Spoofing and downloading the FCC Report on Robocalls.

Consumers can also assist in federal telemarketing scam investigations by filing a complaint with the FCC if they believe they have received an illegal call or text.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure, gubmint will fix it.

I already banned all those callers. I discontinued my home phone service.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure, gubmint will fix it.

I already banned all those callers. I discontinued my home phone service.

They will fix part of the problem but it won’t take long for the spammers to develop a work around. :hammer:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They will fix part of the problem but it won’t take long for the spammers to develop a work around. :hammer:

I think it is called Junk Mail. Shows up in my mailbox most every day.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I just keep blocking their numbers. It seems to have vastly reduced the number of calls.
Mike

Bannedjoe

I can't remember if I wrote about it here or not, so here goes...again?

I went to yootoob and found the three tones you receive when you call a disconnected number. (search disconnect tones)
I then recorded them at the beginning of my normal voicemail message.

If I don't recognize a number, I let it go to voicemail.
If it's a robo call, my guess is the number gets listed as no good, and doesn't get sold or traded to the next outfit.

My spam and robo calls have gone from dozens a week to almost nil.