• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snow trac usage for delivery of fuel in nome

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been following the story from the begining like many others here and have to say its been very interesting, even more so since one of our members have been involved with it. :tiphat:

I found a couple of short vids this morning that some might find interesting. I dont know if Don is in either or knows the folks but I thought it was perty cool. Good job Don. :smile:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX6-41-OqHI&feature=player_embedded"]TV RENDA FUEL OFFLOAD Nome, Alaska (USCG) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKQblI7o70I&feature=player_embedded"]TV RENDA FUEL TRANSFER Nome, Alaska (USCG) - YouTube[/ame]#!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
didn't look like i got s staring role in the first vid those spill cans were my handy work in the second vidio i was right behind them as i had to re adjust the lights on the light plant

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
there are more comming but i took the kids out to the healy to tour the boat just think of howmany times in a life time you have a chance to stand next to an icebreaker on the ice

Attachments

• healy 018.jpg
    healy 018.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 215
  • healy 021.jpg
    healy 021.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 211
  • healy 027.jpg
    healy 027.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 230
  • healy 032.jpg
    healy 032.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 214
  • healy 034.jpg
    healy 034.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 219
  • healy 043.jpg
    healy 043.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 207
  • healy 059.jpg
    healy 059.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 210
  • healy 012.jpg
    healy 012.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 211

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
afew more pics of the kids infront of the healy

Attachments

• healy 065.jpg
    healy 065.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 211
  • healy 074.jpg
    healy 074.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 212
  • healy 072.jpg
    healy 072.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 210
  • healy 068.jpg
    healy 068.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 211

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Excellent use of Tracked equipment, Hats off to you Don. Even got the Haggs out I see. Now get better! Thats an ORDER!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure looks like they had fun out on the boat and along side of it. Rare chance to do that. Thanks for the great pics!:wow::wow:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Excellent use of Tracked equipment, Hats off to you Don. Even got the Haggs out I see. Now get better! Thats an ORDER!
the coast guard re activated me to get them running we had a genera up here told the cg that he wanted to see them use them at all costs i assked the cg if they told him i'm now retired and don't have to take orders any more

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Very, Very cool!

What a wonderful experience for your children. I'm sure they'll always remember it.

I obviously must have missed it but I didn't see any Kristis in the photos...

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
got more pics comming in the days to come we will start cleanup at first light as pumping ended at 04:00 this morning and im hoping to catch some video of the tanker and healy breaking free tomorrow

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Going to take some real power to break that ice loose. Have they been shifting the Healy at all since they got there?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Very, Very cool!

What a wonderful experience for your children. I'm sure they'll always remember it.

I obviously must have missed it but I didn't see any Kristis in the photos...
i've been working on develiping a gold claim i have into a recreational mining camp i might get Big Al to donaate his krustys for tubs the kt4 would make a nice bath tub ab the bling'd out kt7 could be used as my delux hot tub other wise there is too much work on this project see the snow cat's must run

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Going to take some real power to break that ice loose. Have they been shifting the Healy at all since they got there?
the healy has something like 44000 shaft hp i'm guessing that should be plenty to bust up 3 to 4 feet of ice there are 4 wartsilla generators to drive both motors on the shaft it only takes 3 generators to bring the power to 100%

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the healy has something like 44000 shaft hp i'm guessing that should be plenty to bust up 3 to 4 feet of ice there are 4 wartsilla generators to drive both motors on the shaft it only takes 3 generators to bring the power to 100%

And right there it is, this reality show just became electrical in nature. I can now freely introduce apprentices in WI to Snow cats and life in the North (tracked vehicles do more than ice fish and groom trails) where something as simple as a delivery of fuel becomes serious.

32,824,000 watts of go forward or reverse.
For persective, The staton Island ferries (that some of my apprentices wired) have twin 2500 hp screws. a mere 3,730,000 watts Wimpy at best.

http://www.georgesharp.com/SHARP_ferry_main.htm#StatenIslandFerryCharacteristics

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you are right mine makes manny different work related trips every year at least 1 trip a year down to timber to pull safety and security check point for the nome gulivon race thats a 50 mile trip 1 way a couple of yeas ago 60 miles to pilgram hot springs for 2 fuel deliverys and now this event wait til i get the photos up of the snow trac pulling the light plant off the ice i bet that was a litte more weight than was intended for that rig to pull and don't forget the dredging shack on the ice last year

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They may have repowered the old girl but she used to have 30k for shp
and she can break 4.5 of ice at 3knots and can break 8 feet by backing and ramming
and carrys as much fuel as they just off loaded. USCGC Healy that is.

As a footnote Healy has broke pressure ridges that were 26 feet out of the water and more below!

Last edited:

Cletis

That's just wild! When I was very young, I spent a few months on the Ohio river on a dry dock repairing damaged coal barges. Some of the barges were a couple inches thick on the corners and they would get jammed up going through the locks and dams then they would come to us to be repaired. Looked like tin foil and it absolutely amazed me to think of the force that could do that to a barge.

I wonder how thick the iron is on the Healy to break the ice like that?

Cletis

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I read it is only 1.5" thick.

But it is however supported extremely well by super structure underneath the hull. It's much lighter than a thick skin, and helps balance a nose heavy ship. The hull works by climbing onto the ice and using the boats weight to break the ice. Google search turned up quite a bit of information. We have two heavier ice breakers, but both are down for repairs. Only one maybe put back into service. Diesel engines for normal cursing, Twin turbine engines for working ice. Pretty cool really.

Regards, Kirk

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
it was the power plant machinist i was talking to he gave me the numbers you are right about the super structure the renda only has 17mm skin with ribbs every 8 inches an 32 mm steel at the bow with double up 32mm plates right at the point for 2 inches of t-1 at the bow the captain of the healy is expecting to make about 10 knots getting out of here average ice thickness out on thickness out at sea is only about 3 feet this shore fast ice is getting around 5 feet

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i took a walk on the renda this morning and had a chance to take a gander at the engines they looked like the old sub motors laying in the scap yards around here the valves and springs are exposed and you can watch it work just like an old sewing machine

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
a few more pics the first few are showing the snot trac towing a light plant across the harbor. check out how i did this with go devel skies under the wheels and the last one shows the healy breaking ice it was amazing how fast that boat could accelerate through the ice.

Attachments

• light plant 001.jpg
    light plant 001.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 200
  • light plant 002.jpg
    light plant 002.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 199
  • light plant 003.jpg
    light plant 003.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 200
  • light plant 004.jpg
    light plant 004.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 196
  • light plant 005.jpg
    light plant 005.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 197

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Very impressive Don . Its a great thing what you did for None and its people . I tip my hat to you Sir !!!

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
still working on some vidieo i shot having problems getting it off the camera

That must be the same camera that Al used to video the Krusty in action, since he never can get a video of it moving to post either:whistling:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i picked it up for the chevy pickup but as i had it extra so i put it on the snow trac when the weany little strobe burned out yes i do need a caution light for driving on the roads around here