• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Any Kristi stories of actual useage?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
5N25H35Md3G13I83M1bcmfdb765011ffe184f.jpg

Hmm..not a bad looking Krusti Jim! Looks like they did a good job with it....even installed the factory tow hook on the front that came standard on all Krusti's so they could be pulled back onto the trailer after being hauled the 50 or so feet back from the parking lot where they break down....:yum:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well then,

What forum member might end up with this machine? Would love to hear a full run down from the new owner.......

I hope some one here buys it and posts picks of it jumping canyons and such, on a public trail:doh::doh:.....on video to!

The tracks by the way look like some thing off the cartoon "Flintstones" that some how morphed it's way into the real world! They look like they might come off standing still....

I hope some one here proves me wrong.....

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In groomerguys's pic this one looks like on the left side it has much bigger vents for the hot air from the engine to leave the cabin. That has to be a good idea, as the other units have very little screened ports, not enough IMHO. I think that is why the cabin door is aways open in the rare vids of them running....

Any one ran one of these, and care to comment?

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Especially if the door is up, because of engine heat and exhaust in the cabin....

Last edited:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
In groomerguys's pic this one looks like on the left side it has much bigger vents for the hot air from the engine to leave the cabin. That has to be a good idea, as the other units have very little screened ports, not enough IMHO. I think that is why the cabin door is aways open in the rare vids of them running....

Any one ran one of these, and care to comment?

Regards, Kirk

Kirk ,
Too many exhuast pipe connections under the hood cause exhuast fume leaks into the cab . That's why you see the wind window open . This was a major mistake by the Kristi company designers . You need to check the connections all the time .
I took the time to redesign my exhuast on my KT3 and have NO connections under the hood . No more Fumes !!

Attachments

• muffler connections 002.jpg
    muffler connections 002.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 113
  • muffler 002.jpg
    muffler 002.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 108

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK Allen,

But what about the heat from the engine itself? Is yours like the left side of the one for sale above, with large duct type ports or with the oval sceened in ports?

I am betting engine heat in the cabin is a problem as well. So how about it Big Al?

Regards, Kirk

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Most of the KT3's that I have seen come with a series of 3" vented holes on each side of the engine compartment . I suspect this was done at the factory when they rebuilt the kt3's for resale , which was done in Washington at the time .
Kristi tried to salvage the failing company by offering a rebuild service to its customers in the early 70's ,I believe . The yellow stripes on the lower half of the body seems to be a standard treatment of refurnished units .

Yes , heat could be a problem and the kt3's have a pop up hood scoop to help get the heat out at running temperture .

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al,

You stated,

Yes , heat could be a problem and the kt3's have a pop up hood scoop to help get the heat out at running temperture .

Is that the pannel at the base of the windshield? If so it is large, and I have never seen a picture of one in the open position. Is there a sealed fire wall in front of the cabin? And is there manifold heat tubes to the cabin from the exhaust for cabin heat, or just the engine heat migrating its way around the cabin....

How do they steer? Brakes and clutches? What is the mechaicals of their system...The hydrolic self leveling looks expensive, complicated, fradgile, and heavy to carry...on a snow cat. Any opinions?

Regards, Kirk

PS please no smoke up the .....:whistling:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Al,

You stated,

Is that the pannel at the base of the windshield? If so it is large, and I have never seen a picture of one in the open position. Is there a sealed fire wall in front of the cabin? And is there manifold heat tubes to the cabin from the exhaust for cabin heat, or just the engine heat migrating its way around the cabin....

How do they steer? Brakes and clutches? What is the mechaicals of their system...The hydrolic self leveling looks expensive, complicated, fradgile, and heavy to carry...on a snow cat. Any opinions?

Regards, Kirk

Do you think weight is of anny concern if you are carrying around a guy named Big Al

Trakternut

Do you think weight is of anny concern if you are carrying around a guy named Big Al

It means you order the machine with longer and wider tracks, or wait til spring before you go in search of the machine where it sank into 15' of snow! :brows:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
It means you order the machine with longer and wider tracks, or wait til spring before you go in search of the machine where it sank into 15' of snow! :brows:
i would love to see the shoe horn used to squeeze him into the kt3 or maybe that no waffles allowed diet his wife had him on actualy worked happy new year Al

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Especially if the door is up, because of engine heat and exhaust in the cabin....
the reason you see the doors up is so the owners can use the tracks like an end table to set their dr rums on while predending to drive them in their man caves

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I saw a buch of kids trying to push an old bathtub on the snow the other day. Does that count?

think there is a resent post/pic of one been used as a skip/dumpster after a fence fell down and vagrant moved out.even he dint wont to be seen in one.dose that count .sorry Al not pickin on you but. you bought it and the ribbing that you new would follow.

Mtn-Track

I get the feeling that I'll have an alien and bigfoot in my freezer before we'll see some real footage of a Kristi running on snow under it's own "power" (sic)....

Well when I drove by New Years afternoon I sure thought it was moving but my buddy tells me I better quit the egg nog 'cause that Kristi has been sitting there for over a year!!

Attachments

• IMG_2787.jpg
    IMG_2787.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2788.jpg
    IMG_2788.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 136

Mtn-Track

As a kid I used to take inanimate cars, boats, trucks, or whatever and power them to run on their own. I may have to buy a Kristi (aka= "yard art") just to see if it’s REALLY possible to have a self-propelled one...:brows:

It would just be a cool bonus if it actually ran in the snow!:yum:

I guess I'd better stock up on rum before I start thinking I can actually pull it off though....:unsure:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that one is sittting how most of them are on a trailer notice it also has a hitch on the front to ease the job of the snow track or thiokol owner when towing it back to it's trailer where it feels safe and secure

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al,

You stated,

Regards, Kirk

Yes they do steer by a brake band system in the differential . I have taken mine apart and its quite interesting .

The pop up hood raises about 2 " in the rear . Unfortunately there is not a sealed firewall between the passenger compartment and the engine . Just a very thin cardboard like material . No heater system . I have sealed my firewall as tight as i can .
The tilt system does add some weight but it is a very interesting concept .I believe the weight is worth the effort and cost . I have seen pictures of KT3's that were side hilling grades that you would NEVER get me to side hill on !

My KT3 rebuild shows quite a bit of the mechanical working of the KT3 . I honestly do believe it was a snowcat that was ahead of its time in design and the original cost made it very affordable . The sad part is the driving force who invented the Kristi Snowcat was killed just as the company was taking off . I do believe it was a string of very bad management that doomed the company .

At one time I had a pretty good chance at finding the KT7 mold to reproduce it and seriously gave it some thought . The KT7 is years ahead of anything for its age .
I do believe in a better economy the KT7 would be a hot ticket of snowcats in demand . I suppose if someone had enough money and wanted to tear my KT7 down and mass produce it , some serious money could be made .

Remember I made some major changes in the KT7 steering control system . I don't care if you weigh 350 pounds and you are 6'-6"tall , you will fit nicely in my KT7 .

These are just my opinions .

Oh and by the way .... You alll are jealous !!!!!!!!!!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes they do steer by a brake band system in the differential . I have taken mine apart and its quite interesting .

The pop up hood raises about 2 " in the rear . Unfortunately there is not a sealed firewall between the passenger compartment and the engine . Just a very thin cardboard like material . No heater system . I have sealed my firewall as tight as i can .
The tilt system does add some weight but it is a very interesting concept .I believe the weight is worth the effort and cost . I have seen pictures of KT3's that were side hilling grades that you would NEVER get me to side hill on !

My KT3 rebuild shows quite a bit of the mechanical working of the KT3 . I honestly do believe it was a snowcat that was ahead of its time in design and the original cost made it very affordable . The sad part is the driving force who invented the Kristi Snowcat was killed just as the company was taking off . I do believe it was a string of very bad management that doomed the company .

At one time I had a pretty good chance at finding the KT7 mold to reproduce it and seriously gave it some thought . The KT7 is years ahead of anything for its age .
I do believe in a better economy the KT7 would be a hot ticket of snowcats in demand . I suppose if someone had enough money and wanted to tear my KT7 down and mass produce it , some serious money could be made .

Remember I made some major changes in the KT7 steering control system . I don't care if you weigh 350 pounds and you are 6'-6"tall , you will fit nicely in my KT7 .

These are just my opinions .
what about you kt3 Al we would love to get a vidio of you getting in to it be careful not to spill that adult bevarage you have sitting on the track

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
what about you kt3 Al we would love to get a vidio of you getting in to it be careful not to spill that adult bevarage you have sitting on the track

I will not lie to you Don . I do Not like the entry system on a KT3 .
It is as bad as a Snot trac . I do not like bending over to access the drivers seat .
I am working on a new design , much like a jet fighter canopy thats slides back to access the drivers area .
It is doable ,but I have about a million other projects going right now .

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i like the door on the kt3 thinking of making one like that for my snot trac i think it would ease the shooting from the drivers seat when out hunting

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Allen,

Thanks for the education, and yes I was around when you were posting about your restore on the KT3. The hydrolic diagram was a bit intimidating, and I never really understood what kind of a mechanical valve would be self leveling, or do you have to do that manually? If so, and you hit the wrong side valve on a side hill you could effectively "roll yourself" down the hill!!!:hammer:

Yes a very tight firewall and the one piece exhaust would be a geat addition to the original engineering. And yes to bad about the inventor/founder fo the company. When they are gone many good companies fail. Walt Redfield of Rifle scope fame from years past and Colorado, as an example. Any other tricks up your sleeve for your restoration? Better engine cooling would be on my list.....Maybe electric fans under the hood?

Thanks for the info, and I seriously hope that this thread and some Rum and Cokes will get yours together and out playing in the snow, in your restored Kristi.:wink::whistling:

Best regards, Kirk

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
i like the door on the kt3 thinking of making one like that for my snot trac i think it would ease the shooting from the drivers seat when out hunting

Well a wing door would be very easy to do on a Snot Track . A piano hinge and a gas strut would do it . I can't see it costing more than $50 in parts !

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
You do not necessarily have to bend over to get to the driver's seat in a snowtrac...If you have the military version, you take the canvas and the framework off and you have an open top. As for hunting, not a problem............Snowtracs cover all eventualities, unlike other snowmobiles!

Attachments

• scan0018.jpg
    scan0018.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 111

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
yes,

But with a gun that size, your not afraid of much........:whistling:

You can dress for the cold!

Regards, Kirk