• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Getting ready for our next Alaskan winter!

Moose Guy

Hello Forums Forums folks! We hope everyone has had a great summer dreaming of the deep white stuff which allows us to leave the asphalt behind! The Alaska Moose Federation has been VERY busy this summer with a new program to our moose efforts in Alaska.
Request for help.jpg
This is what we call an Alaskan milk mustache! :smile: This was the first year that the Alaska Department of Fish & Game allowed this in well over 40 years. Nearly all of the AMF volunteers have been welding game panels and caring for calves nearly non-stop since May. Alaska's past saw programs such as this where orphaned calves actually established some wonderful herds around the state. This picture (courtesy of the Cordova Historical Society), shows calves being unloaded from a DC 3, is from the 1950's in Cordova where 24 orphans established a magnificant herd which has allowed the local village of Eyak and others the ability to harvest over 4,600 moose from it since 1960.
Photo - Cordova #05.jpg
The AMF wants to start locating folks with Snow Tracs and other rigs that would want to come out and help us with our programs this winter in the effort to reduce vehicle and Alaska Railroad collisions with moose. Our snow cats have been very useful in creating diversionary snow trails while cutting down big browse trees (birch, willow, aspen, etc.) for the moose to feed on back away from the roads.
Seward #08.jpg
Our goal this year is to incorporate in a diversionary feeding program, under Fish & Game's oversight, into the snow cat operations where we will be utilizing grass silage, along with cutting the browse trees, to encourage moose to winter back on the snow trails we are creating. An 18 year study out of Norway saw a 46% reduction in collision after silage was used to pull moose away from roads (http://www.jstor.org/pss/3803351)
Bombardier #02g.jpg
If you are in or around southcentral Alaska and would like to help with this program on certain weekends this coming winter, please contact us because if this upcoming winter is as wet as the summer of 2010 has been in southcentral Alaska, we have a heavy snow winter ahead of us and these moose are going to need our help!:thumb: We recently have been permitted the use of a 4th Snow Trac (photos coming) so, with others who are on this website, let's shoot for 10+ snow tracs to come out a couple of times this winter. This program is a bunch of fun and gives you a real good reason to get your snow cat out into the woods!
Kincaid Project.jpg

fr73ed

I dunno, moose stomp sleddogs, then the moose gets shot.
The trails mushers use are the ones moose use when snow gets deep.

fubar

This sounds like a super program!!
After I get my Swamp Spryte up and dependable I'm in on this one!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey ! I'm late to the party , but Thank You for sharing that !!!!