• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sound Insulation HOW TO DO???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sure someone out there has installed sound deadening materials into their snowcat. Can you please tell me how to do it?

What materials (brand names/types?) are the best?

Is it held on by spray adhesive or self sticking? How does the glue hold up in cold weather/snow cat usage?

What did you install over the sound insulation?

Where did you install the insulation materials (in the cabin, in the engine compartment, some of both)?
Any photos would be greatly appreciated!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I'm sure someone out there has installed sound deadening materials into their snowcat. Can you please tell me how to do it?

What materials (brand names/types?) are the best?

Is it held on by spray adhesive or self sticking? How does the glue hold up in cold weather/snow cat usage?

What did you install over the sound insulation?

Where did you install the insulation materials (in the cabin, in the engine compartment, some of both)?

Bob ,
Here is what I am using in my KT7 : http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&sku=insulation

I also used it on my sons Willy's pickup when I restored it . It works great . Keeps the heat in or out depending on the heat source . It also acts as a great sound deadener . Use the spray glue J. C. Whitney recommends as it is made for higher heat and will not loosen up .Use the recommended Tape at any seams .You can custom cut it before spraying the glue to make sure you have a exact fit . I have put Carpet over it and also left it exposed in the engine area ,with no problems . I don't see why you could not apply glue and put fabic over it also . It also has a Class A fire rating .
A 4' x 24' roll will set you back about $80 .
Big Al

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
JCWhitney shows several products on that link. Is some better than others? I noticed that one of the products was available in differnent thicknesses (1/2" or 1" thick foam) would that shield sound better? Would that also act as a good heat insulator providing a dual duty of insulating the cab from sound and keeping the heat in? Or is the stuff on the 24' roll just as good but at a lower price?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
JCWhitney shows several products on that link. Is some better than others? I noticed that one of the products was available in differnent thicknesses (1/2" or 1" thick foam) would that shield sound better? Would that also act as a good heat insulator providing a dual duty of insulating the cab from sound and keeping the heat in? Or is the stuff on the 24' roll just as good but at a lower price?

I like the stuff in the 24' roll . The other foam /mylar comes in sheets and can get pricey . I really like that fire rating . I am getting ready to use mine on the KT7 and if you wait a week or two I should have some pictures on the KT7 restoration thread .

Big Al

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
I like the stuff in the 24' roll . The other foam /mylar comes in sheets and can get pricey . I really like that fire rating . I am getting ready to use mine on the KT7 and if you wait a week or two I should have some pictures on the KT7 restoration thread .

Big Al
I'm in not rush, so I will await your photos. :weneedpic

It seems to me that a hybrid application might be good for me? Using the foil type in the engine compartment on the firewall. And then, depending on the location of where I will be installing the sound proofing insulation, either using the foil or the foam product. Seems to me the foam product would be great for the cabin walls to pick up the extra benefit of temperature insulation that a thick layer of foam would provide?