• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

vw alt noise (electrical)

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
So I'm still working on the trac. The "new" engine is in. The amount of AC ripple on the alt output is huge compared to everything I have worked on in the past. This is with a new 65amp internal reg alt. To check, I subbed in the original Bosch brand alt. Almost as bad. Having never had a vw before, is this normal? If I didn't have two doing the same thing, I would suspect shorted diodes.

I know a lot of tricks to get things quiet, but don't want to start down that road unless I really need to. It is so bad the electronic flasher module for the lights fault and the 2 way radio doesn't want to work. When the engine is off all is fine. Last time I had this much noise was a 300 amp alt on a fire engine. (it's problem was the electronic regulator was causing sharp spikes)

Already checked:
Alt has dedicated #6 AWG ground to battery buss connection
Engine has new #1 AWG ground cable to same place.
inside power (radio, flasher) has dedicated ground and does not use chassis.
Chassis has new ground straps and is bonded only at the battery buss connection.

CT

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
CT,

I have a two way radio in mine, and it doesn't seem to have any issues...

Not sure what your issue might be. Do you have your power wire running to the battery, and the ground to the frame?

You sound like you've traveled this road before. Hope you get it figured out.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the alternators do seem to make a lot of noise, and I don't know why .I have never looked into it, you may be onto some thing with the regulator. I get a lot of alternator noise on my signal on the two way also I added a filter it has helped but the noise is still there the batterys do charge well

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my brushes spark a lot. I was told it isn't uncommon to have it out of round and it causes this.
could that be a cause??

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim we are talking about an alternator, the alternator produces a/c voltage that is rectified to dc through diodes and smoothed with capacitors. the more capacitors in theory the smoother the dc voltage on a generator it is self rectifying there by producing a direct current voltage.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the only interference I get on cb and 2 meters is from the strobe on the roof. sorry