• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Heater for my workshop ~ questions about type of heater to use

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My workshop is just under 800 square feet. As we are doing a construction project adjacent to the shop area I'm now going to have a natural gas line available for permanent heat at the shop for the first time since its been built. No more need for a torpedo heater in the middle of winter!!!

So that said, I was looking for a simple solution and found these two different heaters at Tractor Supply.

Which type of heater is better for heating the space? Advantages? Disadvantages?

RADIANT heater => http://www.tractorsupply.com/procom-reg-natural-gas-vent-free-radiant-heater-30-000-btu-1099866
ProCom_Radiant_Vent_Free_Liquid_Propane_Heater_25_000_BTU_Model_ML250TPA.jpeg

BLUE FLAME heater => http://www.tractorsupply.com/procom-reg-dual-fuel-vent-free-blue-flame-heater-30-000-btu-4501498
M300-large.jpg

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
My preference this time was to use a "real" heater that is supported with parts and service. I bought and had installed a "Hot Dawg" heater by Modine.

The furnace I had in my previous shop was a "no name" chinese unit I got from Tractor Supply. When I had problems with it, neither service or even parts for me to do the service myself, were available. I wound up having to make parts to fix it. Won't do that again.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd say the blue flame. Since getting the free gas I put 2 in the house. One 10,000 in our bedroom which takes about a third of the first floor and one 30,000 in the the open living/dining/kitchen area, both heat the entire house. Our geo unit is now used for backup/low temperature and circulation.

I put 2 45,000 Big Maxx NG suspended heaters in the garage on Murph's sizing analysis. They are doing great and surprising quiet in operation, you will know when they kick on though. Both are set up on the same thermostat, again one recommended by Murph. They come at a pretty damn good price at Northern right now!

Put one of these in Bob and run it on a programmed thermostat. It's out of the way and the heat is there when you need it! With the blue flame, there will be a lag on demand unless you run it at a constant temperature.

Last edited:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I would go with big dog on this one, but sence you ask the infared will heat you... the blueflame will heat the air around you . Later Jerry

snow dog

Radiant in floor heat is the only way to go, nothing beats lying on a warm floor while working on the old snowcat

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Radiant in floor heat is the only way to go, nothing beats lying on a warm floor while working on the old snowcat

Yep nice but I don't think the cost was considered. I would have done this if I wasn't getting free gas. It would have been thousands of dollars to put in the Dawgsmahal ...................... :biggrin:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I'll look at the Mr Heater type heaters, they look like they would heat up the room a lot faster. There is no need for heat except when I am in there, its actually very well insulated and remains much warmer than the outside temps. But a 'blue flame' type unit may heat the shop up by the time I am done working while the Mr Heater, with its ceiling mounting and fan should give me quicker heat. Yes?

Not an option, the floor already exists. This is adding heat to an existing unheated structure and tearing out the floor to put under floor heat in the workshop is not going to happen.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I just bought this one and told the contractor to install it when it arrives. I did not buy the vent kit yet. I don't know if he will want to vent out the side or through the roof; they offer different vent kits for each application.

Attachments

• 173636_lg.jpg
    173636_lg.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 62

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd say the blue flame. Since getting the free gas I put 2 in the house. One 10,000 in our bedroom which takes about a third of the first floor and one 30,000 in the the open living/dining/kitchen area, both heat the entire house. Our geo unit is now used for backup/low temperature and circulation.

BigDog, please be sure that heater is rated for a bedroom. Our building codes will not allow open flame heaters in bedrooms.

Bob

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigDog, please be sure that heater is rated for a bedroom. Our building codes will not allow open flame heaters in bedrooms.

Bob

Technically it's in the bathroom and these type heaters are prevalent in our area. AFA code I say FI .................. I built the Dawgsmahal with nary a permit although I did construct to code. My township commissioners aren't very PC thanks goodness ..................... :whistling:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I just bought this one and told the contractor to install it when it arrives. I did not buy the vent kit yet. I don't know if he will want to vent out the side or through the roof; they offer different vent kits for each application.

That heater will warm that shop in no time! I have a total of 90,000 btu heating 2000 sq ft garage with a 600 sq ft loft. I've been impressed so far. I vented through the wall and used the vent kits. I had to improvise the thimbles because my walls where so thick, the thimbles only expand to about 8 inches max and I needed 9 1/2. Other than that it was a painless install by me ........... :smile: I wasn't cutting through a metal roof and the short run is safer IMO!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is this a vented heater Dawg? If not vented does it have the low oxygen shut off? I hope you also have a CO2 sensor in the area. :thumb:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is this a vented heater Dawg? If not vented does it have the low oxygen shut off? I hope you also have a CO2 sensor in the area. :thumb:

Vented, you musta been in limbo from my previous reply ................ :coolshade

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is this a vented heater Dawg? No If not vented does it have the low oxygen shut off? Yes I hope you also have a CO2 sensor in the area. Yes :thumb:

Answers above ......!

The heater is in the bathroom, there is a door/wall between the bathroom and bedroom BUT the wall is not whole. With a log home with beams I didn't take the wall between the beams. It mostly used for when we take a shower and then back on pilot (manual heater). The larger one in the open area of the house is thermostat set.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guy. I'm stating my basement finishing project soon and considering that type of heat. A little nervous about no vent, but the technology seems to be there, and like someone else said they are for sale everywhere at very reasonable prices.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guy. I'm stating my basement finishing project soon and considering that type of heat. A little nervous about no vent, but the technology seems to be there, and like someone else said they are for sale everywhere at very reasonable prices.

I wouldn't hesitate, 25% of the homes in my area use them (most rural folks in these parts get free gas). BTW ........... that's my next project and that's what I'll be using!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

How many BTU's is that heater?

I use the Reznor equivalents to that heater (each is 70K BTU's). In my somewhat insulated garage bay, the heater raises the temp about 1 degree per minute at 4300 cubic feet. I have separate heaters in each bay so I'm only heating the area I need.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

How many BTU's is that heater?

I use the Reznor equivalents to that heater (each is 70K BTU's). In my somewhat insulated garage bay, the heater raises the temp about 1 degree per minute at 4300 cubic feet. I have separate heaters in each bay so I'm only heating the area I need.

The 45,000 is all he'd need and I'm assuming that's the one he got! It's also the one he pictured .................. :whistling:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doh. I didn't read/see the 45K on it.

I hope Bob doesn't mind all the side-bars but here's a related question as Bob may want to consider the same.

Thermostats

If the outside temp is in the ballpark of 18 degrees or higher, my shop stays above freezing without having to turn the heater on. For years I've been taking everything that could freeze out of the shop and put it in the basement but that's such a PITA.

So, can anyone recommend a low-temperature thermostat? Something that goes down to around 35 degrees or so? I just want to maintain a low temp. My current thermostats are the 24v mercury type and I could cant them to have the mercury tip at that temperature but for the sake of discussion on shop heaters, are there any recommendations?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doh. I didn't read/see the 45K on it.

I hope Bob doesn't mind all the side-bars but here's a related question as Bob may want to consider the same.

Thermostats

If the outside temp is in the ballpark of 18 degrees or higher, my shop stays above freezing without having to turn the heater on. For years I've been taking everything that could freeze out of the shop and put it in the basement but that's such a PITA.

So, can anyone recommend a low-temperature thermostat? Something that goes down to around 35 degrees or so? I just want to maintain a low temp. My current thermostats are the 24v mercury type and I could cant them to have the mercury tip at that temperature but for the sake of discussion on shop heaters, are there any recommendations?

Where's Murph ................ man I never heard of stats that low.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Where's Murph ................ man I never heard of stats that low.

Yeah there is stats that go down that low. However I would not use them with the higher efficiency heaters. Remember we now take more heat out of the gas and it has a tendency to condensate with the lower return temperatures from the space. This condensate is an acid and will eat your thin heat exchanger. Also the stats that go that low are not typically set back thermostats.

Older heaters less than 65% go for it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So tilting my mercury thermostat down to 35 isn't a good idea.

Got any ideas on what I can do/use to keep the temp just above freezing? I do have one of those ventless propane heaters discussed earlier. Can I set that using one of those greenhouse thermostats to get this done or are those susceptible to the condensation issue as well (granted, the heater is really too small for this size area so it may run longer)?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Check your manual on the operating conditions. Some of the ventless stuff maybe ok to run in the lower temperatures and then you can use the lower temp ones

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
To answer questions, yes, its a 45,000 BTU heater. The workshop is very well insulated, 45,000 BTU should be more than enough. Like bczooms workshop, if the temp doesn't drop too low then the shop will easily stay above freezing. I'm looking for something that will give me heat when I am in the shop, but then I plan to turn it down -or all the way off- when I'm not there. The exception would be just before a blizzard or a sub-zero cold snap, then I'd probably turn it on and leave it at 55-degrees for those periods so that if/when I have to go out there nothing is frozen solid and the temp is warm enough that I can heat it the rest of the way for the times when I go in there to do real work.

As I said, I didn't get the exhaust kit, nor did I get the thermostat, I figure that is best discussed with HVAC guy after he sees the layout, etc.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You can get a 40 degree builders t-stat that will keep things from freezing. Not adjustable for temp.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if it was my call i would use a toyo lazer 73 to keeep the chill down and a waste oil heater for a booster waste oil has somny btu's that it will heat up a shop right now and the fuel is cheap

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
if it was my call i would use a toyo lazer 73 to keeep the chill down and a waste oil heater for a booster waste oil has somny btu's that it will heat up a shop right now and the fuel is cheap

Pretty pricey!!