• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What diff oil to use in a 1976 Bombardier Bombi?

kapowee

Does anybody know what is the right oil to use in the Front Differential of a 1976 Bombi? Do you put the additive the manual Tells you to its a GM product for positrac and does any body know if the is a drain plug on the transmission?

brianf

I use a tractor diff oil, the one for hydraulic and brake steer, to drain the trans I find the best way is to take out the bolt at the bottom,under the drive shaft, you get most oil out this way, I also remove the top plate on trans to check all gears and at the same time use a rag to clean out what is left of old oil, also quick way to fill when done, take off top cover slow there are a couple of parts that can fall off

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I put John deere Torq-Gard in mine. i am not happy with the 2.1Qts it says to put in.Seems it should have more.
Jim

Jim, my manual say to use 8.4 qts or I guess that would be 2.1 gals?:unsure:

The manual also says to use Positrac lube GM #7403021 or equivalent although I used John Deere Hy Guard for many years with no problems. There are several good threads in this Forum that talk about the different fluids others use.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim, my manual say to use 8.4 qts or I guess that would be 2.1 gals?:unsure:

The manual also says to use Positrac lube GM #7403021 or equivalent although I used John Deere Hy Guard for many years with no problems. There are several good threads in this Forum that talk about the different fluids others use.

Why the difference? My 79 bombi manual under Capacities it has 2.1 US qts.
It has the oil cooler and filter .

Jim
DSC03175.jpg

Last edited:
I just went through my manuals and found that on page 17 of the owners manual there is the Lubrication Chart and Schedule and it say 8.4 qts. However on page 24 under Specifications it says 1.2 qts. They also list different capacities for the transmission. I don't own Bombies any more but I vaguely remember there being a plug on the side of the case that you can check the level on like most differentials? I would tend to lean toward the 8.4 qts myself.

As far as the fluid I used a synthetic type for many years at the recommendation of the Bombardier dealer that was in Anchorage at the time but switched to the John Deere brand later mainly because it was a lot cheaper and was compatible for both the differential and the aux. hydraulic system.