• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1960 custom snow cat on ebay??

rackaholic

Just loking for some opinions on this machine? I am loking to purchase some type of snow cat just not sure which one. I am new to this I want to find one that parts are easy to find. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cust...002QQitemZ120087215626QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

s.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Vehicle Description [/FONT]
Custom Sno Cat
This Custom Sno Cat was built in the late 50’s to early 60’s by the Utah Scientific Research Foundation in affiliation with the Utah State Agricultural College. I have included many detailed pictures but if there is something I missed please email me and I can try to get a picture added. This unit features a well maintained flat head Ford with four speed trany with reverse. And runs very well with top speeds approaching 40+. It is a true Joy to drive and gets lots of looks on those snowed in days. With room for four, the possibilities are endless. Buying New Unit so we are selling our old ones to make room. This unit is being sold AS IS and is offered locally so we have the right to end the auction early if sold. To qualified buyers this item is available for local inspection and test drive in Sewell, New Jersey up to and including day of auction. NO WARRANTY! Thank you for looking, check out our other auction.
Thank You and have a blessed day.

EDIT BY BOB -- I added a link, the description and 3 of the photos to better help answer this question.

Attachments

• abc2_12.JPG
    abc2_12.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 424
  • aeed_12.JPG
    aeed_12.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 417
  • b432_12.JPG
    b432_12.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 410

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I am correct (and I may not be) that is an early Thiokol unit or something that the Thiokol units might have been based on before Thiokol started making the the Trackmaster.

I'm pretty sure this particular snowcat was offered on Ebay earlier this season, along with another similar unit. I think they are posted somewhere here on our forums.

There are other folks here who know about early Thiokols, so they may be better able to answer your question. But from the looks of this unit, I'd say it needs to be restored before I would trust it for anything away from civilization. It may be reliable, but it just looks to me like it is been used hard for a long time.

Attachments

• b3a2_12.JPG
    b3a2_12.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 424
  • b0de_3.JPG
    b0de_3.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 437
  • b311_12.JPG
    b311_12.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 414

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I have seen these cats around before. I dont know much about them. I would ask to take it for a spin if you are close to it. Check everything out. The tracks tend to be the most cost in a refurbish if the engine and tranny are in good shape.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It would be a great machine to restore and look at...... not a serious work machine if you want a machine to use get something newer and more common
even some of the other older thiokol's are getting harder to get parts. Just my opinion.

chucks

Looks very interesting -- I wouldn't bet much on reliability without a lot of overhaul, and those tracks will be a problem if you actually use it much.

At the risk of sounding crass, let me suggest that you contact me about my BV202A which has new engine, new tracks, and I'm putting on the market. Chuck