• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Carb to F.I. conversion questions

Skelly

I've got a 61 thiokol trackmaster in need of a new engine. The orginal engine in the machine is a Ford 240 industrial "inline 6". I'm going to swap the engine out with a Ford 300 straight six. I recently found one for sale near where I live, however it is a fuel injected engine. Would there be any MAJOR issues in switching from a carburated engine to a fuel injected engine? A different intake and some new engine mounts are all that I can think of. Other than that, the 300 should be the same "size" as far as height, width, and length are concerned.

As far as I know, the 240 and the 300 are basically the same engine with a different stroke. The 300 however, is a much more common engine. So it is a lot easier to find one than it is to find a 240 in good shape. Also, it should give the snowcat a little extra power.

Any advice is appreciated!! thanks!

Eric L

Site Supporter
Re: Carb to F.I.

I cant guess on fitment issues...

My concerns with this would be my same concerns with FI in a boat...also electronic ignition.

When they quit working, your screwed. carbs and points have thier flaws, but seldom quit completely without warning, and can usually be gotten to work well enough to get you home.

Eric

jaybe_2

Carbs and point are a thing of the past.:hide: EFI does not care what angle your snowcat is going up or down hill. You will use less fuel and you can put a remote starter on it so you dont have to go out in the cold to warm it up. I think I just talked my self into putting EFI on my snowcat.

mkntrakes

is the fuel injection factory ford if so here is the problem the ram tubes ar about four inches taller than a aircleaner on a carb also the intake/exhaust manifold is wider than carb manifold own some 1200s and wanted to put fuel injection on them and went down the road with ford fuel injection so after lots of thoughts of how to get to efi i finaly built my own system using a gm tbi and adapter plate to use factory manifold.as far as putting the 300 in place of 240 make sure that your high pully system will bolt to thermostat housing other than that evey thing will bolt up. hey ERICL i run efi on my boat and gained 10mph and half day more fun on same gas more money for beer most efi systems only need one power feed and a ground the components have come a long way

weatherby

Skelly I would not think twice about putting EFI on that motor. I have converted motors over to EFI a GM 396 and a 427. There are many after market company's that make em for most all motors now a days they are VERY dependable & trouble free and IF you should have a problem most will blink out a trouble code to tell you what is wrong. I have EFI snomobiles and EFI sea doos they run flaw less in any temp or any alt. my snomobiles even have remote start (wife thinks thats so cool) But don't get me wrong a motor with a carburetor choke points & condenser can run very well they have for many years but when you compare that with EFI there is no question IF your willing to pay for the initial cost for one to fit your motor. I myself had a very hard time with restoring my 601 to factory original because that meant that I had to use the original carb setup I would convert mine over in a second to EFI if it was not for going factory original. It's nice to let a computer do all the tuning instead of you.

Here…here, I have EFI in my Jeep that is sporting a 401. No matter what the angle, she continues to run like a top. My EFI “Brain” is a system that I put together myself. The rest of the stuff is junkyard parts.

Here is a link to the website for the control unit and all information that goes with it.

http://www.megasquirt.info/

Oh...it also has a "limp home" capability/mode if something does go wrong.

Cheers
:D

Snowcat Pat

Hi there,

I have wanted to convert the '68 302 ci Ford V8 in my "homebuilt" snow cat to EFI for years but havent found one thats affordable. Would you folks like to list some more suppliers and discuss your experiences and the final cost of the various systems? My machine gets 3 mpg and any improvement would be of interest to me. Its just thet the cost of the EFI has to be offset by some fuel savings, and it must be reliable. I like the idea of the mega squirt system of build-it-yourself and I'm reading there website right now. But I want a micro squirt. Ive spent many hours with the carb and have gone about as far as I can with it. A big carb or a small one gets about the same MPG no matter how I tune it.

Heres a link to my web page that has 2 pctures of my 'cat.

http://wallace-id.com/foster.html#form

Maybe I need a smaller engine, as I never use all that power. I would need one that fits the Ford C4 auto.

Ideas?

Pat Foster
Wallace Idaho

cj7

EFI is very reliable. I used to think about haveing problems with it on the jeeps. But that opinion has changed. The benifits certainly are worth the potential drawbacks. The systems that you are looking at using are pretty basic and you can easily carry the extra sensors to fix whatever ails you if you have problem. Heck you could even carry the old carb with you and do a change in the field if you really really needed to...
But really EFI is very reliable.

You may want to check out Summitt Racing as they have many adpaters for manifold to throttle body applications.

Howell can put together about anything you need to do a conversion. If you really do some research you should be able to adapt a GM throttle body to just about any motor you guys have. Howell can even just provide a flash to reprogram the computer. (there are other companies too)

http://www.howellefi.com/shop/customer/home.php

if you go for a build it yourself approach try to find a system from a production vehicle of about the same motor size..

good luck..