• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

old thiokol pics

weatherby

Just thought I would share some of these old pics. with who ever might find them interesting

Attachments

• b&w snocat2.jpg
    b&w snocat2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 939
  • b&w snocat3.jpg
    b&w snocat3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 921
  • 1 B&W snocat.jpg
    1 B&W snocat.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 920

AKdadio

Cool photos! I hope you have a great time with this project and post photos. I noticed the suspension the 601 uses, had never seen that, it is like a torsion-bar suspension approach with really man-sized springs.

On another note, if anyone was curious what it is is like to actually use a snow cat in snow. . . here you go . . .

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 905

weatherby

I,m glad you did because I forgot that outher than working on em and chasing down parts these things really do run in the snow:pat: But your pic. is really cool I wish that was me in my sno cat. here in upper mich. (1-6 07) we have (O ins. of snow very unusual) for this time of year. One positive thing though havent been spending any money on gas & oil on the sleds:letitsnow:

weatherby

Here is a few more taken around 1969 or 70 in the WHITE ALICE RADAR GRID in Tatalina Alaska

Attachments

• white alice 1.jpg
    white alice 1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 839
  • white alice 2.jpg
    white alice 2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 809

Morepwr

Here are a few I've had on the hard drive for a while.

Attachments

• bjoern_loudrup_a.jpg
    bjoern_loudrup_a.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 700
  • sagle642.jpg
    sagle642.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 713
  • Snow%20Cat!-14s.jpg
    Snow%20Cat!-14s.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 719

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you have any clue where the "Ground Rescue" photo comes from? Was that a military vehcile? Or perhaps a rural rescue vehicle owned by a SAR organization?

Also, the final photo you posted shows a logo on the side of the door. Any clue where that unit is from? I can see a number in front f the door that appears to be 719(?). Inside the logo on the door is a blue circle and then an irregular shape. Could that be Antarctica?

Morepwr

after some more searching.. I'm thinking "Antarctica" would be the the place:cool2:

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 665
  • searchingTitle.gif
    searchingTitle.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 684

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Morepwr said:
after some more searching.. I'm thinking "Antarctica" would be the the place:cool2:

I think you are right. The shape and coloring of the logo are very similar, I'd suspect the logo on the side of the old Thiokol is simply an older version of what you posted.

I've traced a lot of Aktiv Snow Tracs and Tuckers down to Antarctica, but this may be the first Thiokol that I've confirmed down there. Good job finding the logo images!

I know some modern PB units made it down but I also have read where those are too complicated to keep running. It seems that Tucker is the preferred unit now.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's it! Serial Number one! Great Picture. Somebody should forward it to Bill Guthrie. The Machine I'm refering to is the one with 4 tracks and a guy standing on the tracks. This is the serial number one, first ever Thiokol. It's been crushed up, but was still in Bernie's junkyard in Alaska. It was a prototype, 4CX. The ID plate, which was brass said: Scandie Sea Wolf, Serial Number 1, University of Utah Experimental Division, Logan Utah. Back before it got crushed I was actually living in a trailer house in the same 2 mile square junkyard and descovered it one day. The tracks were off, the engine was gone, and the wheel assemblies which had a gearcase like a Grader has joining each pair of wheels had been detached, but were still near the body. I tried calling LMC( formerly Thiokol) as they were still in business at the time and couldn't find out much about it. I took a picture of it in the summer, and another in the winter with plans of restoring it. It was just too incomplete, so I scoffed off with the ID Plate and gave it to Bill Guthrie of sales unlimited in Weiser Idaho. He has it framed in Oak and Glass on the wall directly behind his desk. This is the only picture I have ever seen of the machine when it was intact. It had been shipped to Alaska to the Military to test out. It is remotely possible that enough of it is still ther to restore but that would be a long shot. THE FIRST EVER THIOKOL, FAR OUT!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well if I may be sold bold as to post a photo that I borrowed from Lyndon, I believe that the "junk yard" Lyndon was referring to is the photo below. And if I recall correctly, the red snocat in the center of the photo is Thiokol #1 in its sad resting place.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 647

weatherby

HI Lyndon boy is that ever interesting. Give me a day or so because I have anouther pic. of that first ever THIOKOL I just need to find it. When I saw this outher one I thought it was just one more of the same but after reading what you said It has to be the same one but in a differnt local

Lyndon,
Do you know what this thing might be?

It is in a yard along the Franklyn Pierce Highway in New Hampshire. I took the photo from the road.

weatherby

Well I found the other ( two ) pic of that first ever THIOKOL. They were taken in Stokes Point YUKON in 1956 &57. I know they don't show much but as rare as this thing is these may be the only ones that exist today

Attachments

• bar-b-56-stuck.jpg
    bar-b-56-stuck.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 410
  • snocat1957.jpg
    snocat1957.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 405
  • cam4boys1957.jpg
    cam4boys1957.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 411

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know where the Franklin Pierce Highway is, being from Amherst, Mass, but I do not recognize the cat.

I wish that it was a better photo but, I took the picture from the road as I did not want to go into forbidden territory. It looked to me like it might have been an aircraft fuselage attached to some form of snow cat chassis.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to hijack the thread.

Edit: Bob fixed the picture for me. This is ten times better!

Attachments

• Track-Vehicle.jpg
    Track-Vehicle.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 392

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No clue what that undercarriage is, but it has a front drive sprocket and what appear to be small bogie wheels along the top and the bottom. Anyone know of a manufacturer who made that sort of configuration in something that size?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Can not see it very well but if Ihad to say it is either a M-4 Or M-5 high speed tractor (The running gear )They were used in the 40's by the military the cabin does look like a cockpit of a aircraft. What state is this in?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Couple of photos The one on the left is a M-4 and the one on the right is a M-7 just intresting ..............

Attachments

• M4 tractor.jpg
    M4 tractor.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 379
  • M-7 snow tractor.gif
    M-7 snow tractor.gif
    6 KB · Views: 379