• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker spare parts for the trail?

mtmudrunner

GOLD Site Supporter
Going through my 75 1544 that I bought last spring and I am trying to get some spare parts together for repairs on the trail. Does anyone have some part numbers I mostly shop at Napa, looking for U-joints, belt that goes to the hyd pump, and bogie wheel bearings, anything else that might be handy. I have a list of fluids and safety items but let me know what will and has worked for anyone.
Thanks

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't carry wheel bearings belts are a good idea I carry an extra with the vw's the Thiokol has a double belt system. fluids and ignition parts are a good idea as well as track patch segments and hardware. also a good general tool kit so you can make a presidential patch(pc for you know what kind of rigging) along they trail

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a road wheel fail I just take one out of the center and stick it on the front got me 30 miles back home with a tucker it does make since to carry a u joint to

My advice would be to go ahead and replace the belts, bearings, some u joints, etc. with new, right now while it is in the shop. Then you have all the old ones as spares.

The wheel bearings at the front and rear of each track are the most critical as when they fail you are pretty much dead in the water and have to de-track in order to repair.

I'm not a Tucker guy and have no experience with them but I learned right away with my first snowcat that preseason maintenance and daily pretrip inspection is critical to a safe trip. I treat them as I would an airplane and my life depends on the cat getting me home each time. You can easily and quickly get into some serious back country where rescue is difficult and not readily available. Sounds like you are already thinking along those ideas.:smile:

I also carry a SPOT tracking device that others can follow my trip and I can get emergency response in a worst case situation. There are a couple different brands out there and some have text capability.

mtmudrunner

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the ideas I try to be proactive when ever possible but it doesn't always work out. I will be gone for a week or so at a time I would like to have what I can for spares/emergency. I knew about the spot but did not know you could get one that you could send text, I will be looking into that since there is no phone service.

Here is the Spot page: http://findmespot.com/en/

They offer the basic tracking device, also a satellite phone and the "connect" device that pairs with a smart phone for texting and emails.

Here is the INREACH by delorme: http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

This one has the text feature from the get go.

I have the basic Spot that is great for letting others know where I am and allows me one custom message that I have preprogramed. It also has a "Help" feature that alerts people I put in the system to come out and help me, nonemergency. It also has a SOS feature that alerts an operator who then alerts search and rescue efforts, which in Alaska is the State Troopers.

If and when I upgrade I will look at the INREACH real close for the all in one device. I would need to do more research though as most people I know have the Spot.

mtmudrunner

GOLD Site Supporter
Going to start tearing into the tracks this week just ordered some parts from tucker they seem good to deal with and price is reasonable. Thanks for the advice will let you know how it goes.:biggrin:

Briarpatch

I always carry a spare fuel filter, track jack, track splice with longer bolts for the extra thickness, extra hyd fluid, sleeping bag, and my SPOT.

1976 Tucker 1644

Briarpatch

Track patches are just old pieces of belt, usually long enough to span 3 sets of holes. You will need the longer bolts to go though the broken belt and the spliced in belt.

mtmudrunner

GOLD Site Supporter
Track patches are just old pieces of belt, usually long enough to span 3 sets of holes. You will need the longer bolts to go though the broken belt and the spliced in belt.

Makes sense I've got some conveyer belting that should work.
Thanks

mtmudrunner

GOLD Site Supporter
Just getting done with all my repairs, replaced all the wheel bearings , seals and put a few new bogies on, changed all the fluids and everything looked good greased everything . What is the rule of thumb for track adjustment, how much sag should be under the middle/3rd bogie wheel when the track is off the ground, right now I have the adjusted to about 2 1/2 inches from inside of the aluminum rim it looks ok but don't know if they are too tight or loose.
Thanks