• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker heater ? Red dot

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Heater fan died tonight. Took my 2.5 year old out(woke up demanding tucker ride) and when I opened the door after warming up I noticed it was cold and the burnt motor smell. Fan not spinning and motor hot.

Good news is I have a spare fan motor,but would prefer new while taking apart again!

Anyone know where I can find new one? Will post pics am. No marking on fan motor other than 12 v.

Might have pics in 442 new to me thread.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Heater fan died tonight. Took my 2.5 year old out(woke up demanding tucker ride) and when I opened the door after warming up I noticed it was cold and the burnt motor smell. Fan not spinning and motor hot.

Good news is I have a spare fan motor,but would prefer new while taking apart again!

Anyone know where I can find new one? Will post pics am. No marking on fan motor other than 12 v.

Might have pics in 442 new to me thread.

A lot of better Radiator Shops will have outlets to get one for you .

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Post up body diameter, body length, shaft diameter, shaft length, # of wires, and if possible rotation (CW or CCW determined with shaft pointed at your chest).

Dr. Zaugg

RED DOT is still Very much in business. They have dealers everywhere. (Truck shops)
I have called the one in Denver and gotten motors from them at very reasonable prices.
They will need the shaft dia. and length, the motor dia. and length, and if you happen to be able, the heater model number.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Counterclockwise. Only markings are 12V

Attachments

• IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 273

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
looks like an old ford blower motor say for a 79 pickup I would take it to Napa They can match you one up.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Murphy's Law.

I had 7 universals (CW or CCW) on the shelf for over a year and a company in Lynn bought all seven last week. Figures. And the PDC isn't expecting more of those back in until 3/15. Made by Grand Rock $28.16

The Red Dot CCW motors I've sold in the past are $62.21, which are _expensive_ for a heater motor. And the closest ones are in Reno.

Another cheaper option may be swapping fans for a CW motor. I haven't pulled mine apart yet, so:
In the heat box, does the shaft piont up or down?
And, is the pan pulling air toward the motor or pushing it away?
edit: One other- what's diameter of fan?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Shaft is down and blows out the two channels up to defroster so it needs to be ccw unless I flip the fan around.

Talked to getsno today and they said they were all on back order till march also?

Is there a part number I am looking for?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
actually it has to be ccw because it draws the cab air from the bottom through the heater core and up to the defroster so CCW.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Use this one: http://www.unityparts.com/gr315-ccw-heater-motor-5-16-shaft/

We used to carry them years ago, but CCW is so rare now that we stopped. I was going to configure a clockwise motor with appropriately pitched fan to pull in from the bottom, but by the time you combine the motor and fan at cost, it's still cheaper getting the motor above.

added: The motor in the Tucker is probably case grounding, so the motor above can be grounded direct or looped back onto the stud when mounting. Red is low speed, orange is high. Also, sometimes Grand Rock, Fasco or DMC will have those case studs longer on the other end (away from the shaft). DO NOT completely remove this rod to flip it around. The internal ground is attached to it and you won't be able to get it back on when it springs free. Just loosen the nuts thread it back to the other side.

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I still say check out napa they have a lot of motors that will run cw and ccw depending on how you hook up the wires.

zspryte

Site Supporter
Use this one: http://www.unityparts.com/gr315-ccw-heater-motor-5-16-shaft/

We used to carry them years ago, but CCW is so rare now that we stopped. I was going to configure a clockwise motor with appropriately pitched fan to pull in from the bottom, but by the time you combine the motor and fan at cost, it's still cheaper getting the motor above.

added: The motor in the Tucker is probably case grounding, so the motor above can be grounded direct or looped back onto the stud when mounting. Red is low speed, orange is high. Also, sometimes Grand Rock, Fasco or DMC will have those case studs longer on the other end (away from the shaft). DO NOT completely remove this rod to flip it around. The internal ground is attached to it and you won't be able to get it back on when it springs free. Just loosen the nuts thread it back to the other side.

Funny - the motor is listed in the CCW section but the description says "Rotation: CW"

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's what I would be buying myself. And if for some reason it doesn't work, I'll buy it from you!

That motor always came thru with a 3" long body (as listed), but there is a slight chance they have started using the 314 casing to lower costs by only having one size. So, its possible it could be a half inch taller. If there's room in the heat box at the top, don't worry about it. If it's tight, give Unity a call to verify you're getting a 3" unit.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Update. Took heater apart. Turns out motor has 1/4 shaft and funky fan that looks like the blades in a blender. Pics are from spare motor with 5/16 shaft.

Might need new fan blade also. Will put pics tomorrow

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Take a picture of the two together and note the diameter of the fan.

The CCW 1/4" shafts are expensive ($67.30 cost), but the CW are only $21.67. I just need to find the right fan to pull the air up.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here are the pic of the setup. I do have a 5/16 motor so if anybody has a fan blade solution I could go that route.

The fan is funky and I have not found a pic of another on google. Measures 3 wide 1.5 tall

Attachments

• IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_0917.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 168

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
in the third pic you can see the front cover for the red dot. It appears like this piece may have had a motor and a fan in it or an option for it. Another odd thing is when I took this apart last year it was full of mouse next and there was a loose 5 inch or so fan blade which I have sitting in there.

Can't figure out how it would have worked. The assembly in front bolts to the top of the heater box and the ducts go to the defroster.

Maybe it had two motors? One on top (this one for defrost?) and another for cab heat?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Turned my brain back on. This needs to have two motors. One goes in the cover with the 5 blade fan and must be the cab heater. Then the second motor I have been using is a dedicated defroster.

So I just need to figure out which rotation. So in hindsight the defroster must have broke. They pulled the face off took out the cab blower stuck the fan blade back in probably for safe keeping put that motor in place of defroster and here it is today.

Blessing in disguise. Cab never got real warm and now I know why!

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I sent a note to Red Dot this morning to try to find info on the entire unit from their archives for every Tucker owner here. Who knows where that will go, if anywhere.

If the blade is wrecked, your chances of finding a new one of that style are probably slim & none. All HVAC systems using an impellor style blower (for automotive use) have blower wheels to keep noise down. An option for an impellor fan ‘similar’ to the one in your picture would be something from a vacuum cleaner. But, they don’t seem to list sizes, just application / manufacturer for replacement.

Wheels with ¼” shaft aren’t that common, especially in 3” diameter / 1.5” tall. But, it looks like there would be some room in the housing for a slightly larger wheel. I have one on my desk that is like the two at the bottom of the link page. http://www.packardonline.com/Shop?nav=116823,101408,102126
It’s 3 13/16” in dia. and 1 7/8” wide. It’s ‘configured’ for CCW drive to pull air from the outside of the wheel and push it out thru the center. When run in reverse with a clockwise motor, it’s pulling in thru the center and pushing out the sides (thru the two tubes on your unit).

So, the short of it is, if the impellor housing is thicker than 2 ¼” at the 3 ¾” to 4” diameter point from shaft center, this should work. It has to be thicker than the wheel so that the solid part of the wheel doesn’t hit the fan motor mounting studs.

Confused yet? Tough to describe.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have a spare 5/16 shaft motor if anyone is in the need. Clearly does not fit my setup but did come from the parts lot I bought so I must have been in some tucker.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The above motors worked great. Came out to 64$ some how.

Amazing how warm the cab gets now.

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0990.jpg