• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker idler wheel axles?

Swamp Cruizer

Just wondering if anyone makes Tucker idler axles other than Tucker? Mine's a late 70's 1500 series Also need some of the bearing spacers.
Last time I ordered from Tucker, I could only get a newer style with longer threads and the newer spacers with orings in them. I don't care which I get but the cotter pin holes on the longer axles are further out and don't work the best but can be used. Thanks,
Aaron

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Aaron,

I've got a bunch of the old style bearing spacers (no o-rings). Most of them are somewhat pitted, but you are welcome to them.

I'm not aware of any other suppliers of spindles for Tuckers, but...

How many would you need / want, and are there any other Tucker owners who would want the old style spindles?

The reason I ask is half a lifetime ago I worked as a machinist running a Turret lathe. What takes the time is setting up the machine. The cycle time (time required to machine one part) is relatively short. So the cost to make the first one is very high. The cost to make the second is much less and so on.

One of my very best friends owns a machine shop. His true expertise is gear cutting, but he does do other work. If we could put together a decent sized order he might be interested in making them. Despite the economy he is very busy, so I would think delivery would be at least a couple of months out (plan on having them for next season).

Swamp Cruizer

Thanks Blackfoot. I sent you a private message on the spacers. A few years ago Tucker's spindles were $45 which isn't bad for what you get. I'll have to order a few now from them. Hopefully the price hasn't jumped too much.

Briarpatch

I would be interested in some extras (idler axles) for my 1644. It never hurts to a have a few extra parts, just in case.

Briairpatch

muley180

Hey Aaron, sorry I can't help with your parts issue but I was wondering, Is that your Tucker with a VW bus body on it? If so, that looks really cool. Do you have any pictures posted of it? Best regards.

Swamp Cruizer

Attachments

• IM002434.jpg
    IM002434.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 636

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I talked with my buddy about making some "old style" Tucker spindles. As I mentioned above, most of what he does involves gear cutting, either with a gear shaper or gear hobber. While he has a lathe in his shop, it's an engine lathe which really isn't designed for production work and is somewhat slow.

As such, he said he would have the work done by another shop with a CNC lathe. He estimated the cost at $40.00 per spindle, based on an order of 20 spindles.

If there is sufficient interest, I'll see if I can make this happen.

Swamp Cruizer

He estimated the cost at $40.00 per spindle, based on an order of 20 spindles.

If there is sufficient interest, I'll see if I can make this happen.
Thanks for checking into this. I have an account with the Tucker dealer here in MN. I just bought 3 spindles from them and was surprised to find out the cost was only $29! In 07 it was $45 form the same place. I'm not sure if they are having them made locally or what and I don't know if they sell retail to anyone and what effect that has on price? The company is Track Inc. in Bloomington, MN 952-888-7372. I'm thinking I will pick up some extra parts when I'm down that way this summer to avoid shipping costs as it did cost $15 to ship them up here. If anyone has trouble getting parts through them , I would be willing to buy them and ship them on from here.

snowbird

My son and his family live within about 2 miles of that company. I bought my used groomer there and kind of snooped around their shop and their used lot...quite impressive. I suppose they might let me take a picture of their toys next time I go by, if anyone is interested. Maybe someone has already posted their pictures.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for checking into this. I have an account with the Tucker dealer here in MN. I just bought 3 spindles from them and was surprised to find out the cost was only $29! In 07 it was $45 form the same place. I'm not sure if they are having them made locally or what and I don't know if they sell retail to anyone and what effect that has on price? The company is Track Inc. in Bloomington, MN 952-888-7372. I'm thinking I will pick up some extra parts when I'm down that way this summer to avoid shipping costs as it did cost $15 to ship them up here. If anyone has trouble getting parts through them , I would be willing to buy them and ship them on from here.

Aaron,

Are these the "old style" spindles that fit our machines properly or the new style spindles?

If the new style do you think they would be interested in getting a bunch of old style spindles?

Like Briarpatch I'd be interested in having some spares on hand, but I only want the correct "old style" spindles.

Swamp Cruizer

Aaron,

Are these the "old style" spindles that fit our machines properly or the new style spindles?
I'm not sure what the differance is? The only differance with these spindles is the cotter pin holes are a little farther out than my originals but they do work and I guess I wouldn't spend $10 to have that small change.

Swamp Cruizer

The only differance with these spindles is the cotter pin holes are a little farther out than my originals.
Hey guys. I looked at my new spindles a little closer today and they are exactly the same as my originals! The ones I got a few years ago had 1/4" longer threads but these don't. I'm tickled with these spindles and the price. I hope nothing changes before I can get to their shop and buy enough to rebuild the rear of my cat. My machine is starting to come back together. I will post some pictures in the other thread when I get a chance. It was 46 degrees here yesterday! Lucky we have tons of snow or I wouldn't have a chance at test driving the Sno-Cat this year.

Swamp Cruizer

I looked at my new spindles a little closer today and they are exactly the same as my originals!
Well I installed the idlers last night and I don't know what I was looking at:oops: These new spindles have 1/4" longer threads and the cotter pin holes are 1/4" further out. It was not a big deal and when I do the rear I may put some shims under the nut. I looked up some 1/8 shims and they are only $1 or so each. Sorry for the misinformation I must have been:alc: