• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SnowTrac Part wanted: Bushing

nwerring

:confused2: I'm having problems finding the bushing "ST6014" that is for the leaf spring/bogie wheel yoke. I need 4..... Any ideas?? Thought about making something out of Polybush, like in the suspension kits one can get for 4x4 cars, but if someone are sitting on a solution I'd love to hear about it...
Niels.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There are 3 different bushings. 2 are Fibre and 1 comes in fibre or brass. The small ones came in the brass or Fibre. the fibre material was like a cross between wood and phenolic. The went in the Bogie assemblies. the 2 larger ones also were part of the suspension going in the rear and front positions. I had brass duplicates made, but various types of hard plastic, Nylon or HDPE would work well too. I gave all my spares to Warren Jones. However, you could take the 2 pieces that give the inner and outer dimensions to a machinist and he/she could fab the parts based on the external shaft dimension and the internal sleve holder. Christer in Sweden would have the actual dimensions as he has all the blueprints.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lyndon, do you think Christer might have the part in stock?

Christer has (or at least he had) a lot of different spare parts available for sale. Here is a link Christer's website

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 208

nwerring

Thank's for the tipps! I have all the other bushings in fiber, but was missing the last 4 of the small ones.... Think I'll try to have have them made. I tried to mail Christer, but he is not to easy to get a hold of. I'm finally starting the assembly of my ST4 - posting photos on the way in the photo section under nwerring. It's a nice vehicle to work on now that all the parts are newly painted and repaired....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
nwerring said:
I'm finally starting the assembly of my ST4 - posting photos on the way in the photo section under nwerring. It's a nice vehicle to work on now that all the parts are newly painted and repaired....
It would be nice if you started up a new thread that showed the Step-By-Step reassembly and discussed your progress. I think the discussions may help several people understand the process better than just photos alone. At least I know I would like to see a step by step assembly (similar to what BigAl did with his Kristi KT7)

nwerring

Learning something every day.... just found out how to make a photo album instead of 100 single photos...:whistle: I'll post photos and small notes as I go along. I'm using many of the good ideas I have found here in the forum, so you will probably recognise some on my ST4. I have fabricated many of the panels that were to worn, and got a new 1641cc engine with the exhaust headers like on Arlow's (?) rig. Will also use his fuel tank idea. My SnowTrac's serial number tell me it's a 1964, but it has probably been stripped and rebuilt with parts from a later one because it has the large wheels up front, but welding/cut marks from the suspension parts from the smaller bogie wheels. Parts for the VW engine and Beetle are easy to come by here. Just check out www.vwheritage.com or www.empius.com Just make sure you are far away from your credit card when you check these pages..... before you know it you'll bust the Christmas gift budget ;)

nwerring

I contacted an engineering company who made me some new bushings in brass. Had them modified a bit to make them "greaseable". Should work great.

Attachments

• 20070129_0817.JPG
    20070129_0817.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 168

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you have a local machine shop make those up for you? It looks like it would be a simple part for any machine shop to fabricate.

nwerring

Yes, it was a local shop who made them. No problem at all really - with the right tools.... It will be interresting to see how they work as I have the original fiber bushings on the left side and the brass ones on the right side.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I had a local machine shop make up a part for mine too. In my case I needed an adapter to connect up my fuel tank to the fuel line. Turned out that a stainless steel fitting I had made up for a cappuccino machine was a perfect fit. It mated up perfectly to the top of the fuel tank and connected to the copper fuel line.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
nwerring said:
:yum: !!!! What's that word in English again..... Ingienuity
Yup that's it.

But the best part is that my Snow Trac runs best on caffeine! :whistle: