• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hello ST4 Snow trac owners ~ VARIATOR belt needed

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Hello ST4 Snow trac owners

Bill, are you referring to the "variator" belt? That is the big belt that runs between the two pulleys on the top back part of the engine compartment.

Attachments

• 1engine.jpg
    1engine.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 523

Yes, that is the one, it appears the one on my dads machine has a large crack in it,making it unreliable. I could use the dimensions, possible number/code and who may still make them. Thanks a bunch..bill

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Bill that is a "variator belt" and I only have 1 extra belt so I'm not selling mine. But the good news is that the belts are still available and are being made by some other company. The bad news is that I don't know the company! But it has been discussed here on the Forums. Please do a search for VARIATOR BELT and hopefully the replacement source will show up in your search. If not, then I'm sure one of the other members may pitch in with some help since it is a fairly common part.

I do know that if you are located in Europe then you can get one from Christer Morlind. You can find a link to his website in this thread: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=2198

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
2926V646, Dayco, Goodyear, can't remember the other major american make that uses this number.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lyndon said:
2926V646, Dayco, Goodyear, can't remember the other major american make that uses this number.

Lyndon, would any Goodyear dealer be able to order that part number and get the belt?

thanks a bunch fellas, I am also needing a master cylinder rubber plug grommet, the one that comes into the top and feeds the master cylnder, cant find it, thinking of tapping the cylinder and just putting a normal line fitting in...s

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rubber plug for Master cyl:

The old original Master cyl was a smaller diameter than what is currently available. The Rubber plug however is available at most VW Places and thru VW aftermarket suppliers. I get mine thru "OVALS" a VW supplier in Federal Way Washington. They are listed under Ovals Motor Sports. Ask for Fred. There are 3 replacement master cylenders available, the original German, a Brazilian one and a Mexican one. The 2 aftermarket versions are longer and require some modification to get them to mount in the space correctly. I recomend the real german one.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bill,
Just curious, but do you have a manual? Also what year is your Snow Trac? We have manuals on file for several years if you need one.

Here are a couple places for parts that I have had good luck with:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/

http://www.aircooled.net/

In addition to using multiple copies of the Snow Trac manuals as reference materials, there is one other source for general maintainence I have found one book to be a Godsend. Its available at most large bookstores and also on Amazon.com and is written by John Muir. The book is pretty much the bible for VW owners: How to Keep your VW Alive.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Your-Volkswagen-Alive/dp/1566913101

Attachments

• 1562614800.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056517976_.jpg
    1562614800.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056517976_.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 503
thanks so much fellas, I will look into these for sure. My dad has me getting a 1960 ST4 going, and everything looks in real good shape, he has picked it up for just a few trips down the lake on his barge, he was going to sell it for 2k, but I convinced him, after research, that it deserves better attention...lol. Bill

wow the previous variator belt numbers did not mean anything to the distributors up here, been trying to email christer@klovsjo.com, in the snow trac website for a couple of weeks now and seems like my emailing is not going through. Does anyone know of a place email addy, variator belt specs, so that I may find one?.....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
HEY LYNDON . . . do you you know of the current manufacturer for a Variator Belt :confused2:

You posted this earlier in the thread, is it current because Bill still can't find the belt he needs.
Lyndon said:

Arlow

Hi Bill, I live in a little hick town and I can get those belts, no problem. I have got a couple of them from a industrial bearing, belts, type place. They are Gates #2926V646 Multi Speed Belts, and I paid approx. $100 Canadian for them and got them overnight. Hope that helps. Arlow

Wow, that sure helps, was getting discouraged there for a second, could you provide me with the town your in, so I can contact the company and have one or two sent, i also stay in a small town bout 275 people...s

Paul Smith

Washington Belt has the belt for the st4. I'm not sure of the number , but Lyndon Strothers will know. I'll will try to find him and get the #.

Well I found a couple through B.C. Bearing in smithers B.C. I managed to get this antique to work, run, even go for a short ride.
I could use a manual, on how to adjust the variator belt tension, and tracks. If anyone has some, they would be much appreciated.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
William Barrett said:
Well I found a couple through B.C. Bearing in smithers B.C. I managed to get this antique to work, run, even go for a short ride.
I could use a manual, on how to adjust the variator belt tension, and tracks. If anyone has some, they would be much appreciated.
I have manuals for Snow Tracs digitized and I can send you a complete set of them on a computer disk. We provide them free to Forums members. Please send me an email or a Private Message so I can get your address. I will send several different years of parts manuals and operators manuals because some years were very incomplete and some years contained much more information. I've found that I often have to look through two or three manuals to find the answer to my question.

By the way for people in North America, here is a current supplier for Variator Belts. Washington Belt www.wabelt.com

As pointed out by Arlow several posts above, it is a GATES brand Multi-Speed Belt, #2926 V 646

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 336
I need the manual or specs on how to adjust, a 1960 atkiv ST-4 snowtrac, variator belt tension, set the final rubber trac drive adjustments, and how to set the ignition timming, if possible. If the manuals are over 3megabites, they can be mailed, or if under, can be emailed to me @ bbro69@hotmail.com...any help would be greatly appreciated...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
William Barrett said:
I need the manual or specs on how to adjust. . . variator belt tension, set the final rubber trac drive adjustments, and how to set the ignition timming, if possible. If the manuals are over 3megabites, they can be mailed
Check the threads by Lyndon, he posts a lot of very technical stuff that can help you and specifically had one of the variator belt. Ignition timining can be found in a VW service manual or John Muir's book on How to Keep your VW Alive, but is not found in the Snow Trac manuals.

As for the manuals, they fill an entire CD-Rom disk so are 700MB. Click on my name and you can send me an email or a PM with your address so you don't have to post your address publicly.

mtmogs

Many of you probably know this, but industrial variable-speed belts have a m/l universal product code, so the Gates # posted above is it's own cross reference! The # 2926V646 encodes the belts measurements like so:

"29" it the top width of the belt in 1/16ths, 29/16 = 1 15/16"
"26" is the sheave angle or the taper of the "v" in cross section
"646" is the outside circumference of the belt multiplied by 10, 646 =64.6" or likely cataloged as 65". . . look about right?

Do a google search on 2926V646 and you will find many suppliers. Most industrial supply houses (eg. MSCdirect) will stock them too.

Hope this helps - Paul.

schmidt

Hi Folks,

I just ordered a new variator belt for our 1965 Snow Trac (ST4). I have not installed it yet, but it does look correct and I wanted to get this information off to everyone ASAP:

Ordered From:

Optibelt Corporation
1120 West National Ave
Addison, IL 60101
630-628-8400
fax: 630 628-6175

Belt Information:

Optibelt Super VX

Belt # 2926V 646 0047 ST

In the past we ordered belts from Washington Belt and Drive in Washington state. However, about 3 months they went out of business and the company which purchased their remaining stock was not familiar with this belt.

Hope this can help.

Brad Schmidt
Mountain Home Lodge
Www.mthome.com
509-548-7077