• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac crawler tracks....

nwerring

Hello there! I'm restoring my Snow Trac s/n582, and need some help with patterns for the crawler tracks. I have the "3-belt with the large wheel" type track. Can anyone help?
It's great to have a forum like this to share information and knowhow! I'll post some photos from the Snow Trac "life" here in Norway - just have to find out how to do it.... I also have an older Snow Trac, a ST-2 s/n 58067 with canvas top. It's in a rough shape, but maybe I'll restore it someday. There are quite a lot of active Snow Trac's here in Norway. Many still use them for taxi and luggage transport to remote cabins in the Norwegian mountains. I also had one in my platoon when I did my military service in 1985.
Thank you much:thumb:
Regards Niels.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
nwerring said:
Hello there! I'm restoring my Snow Trac s/n582, and need some help with patterns for the crawler tracks. I have the "3-belt with the large wheel" type track. Can anyone help? . . .Thank you much:thumb:

Regards Niels.

I'll dig around my files and see if I have a pattern for the 3 belt tracks. I'm not sure that I recall seeing one. I know I have the pattern for the 2 belt tracks, but that won't help you at all.

Hopefully someone here has the correct pattern. If not, then I suppose one of us could measure our tracks and post the information for you. I'm not skilled with the drawing programs, so maybe someone who knows how to use computer drawing or CAD programs can measure their tracks, and draw them up???

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The "Pitch" diameter is the distance from one tooth on the sprocket to the next measured at the bottom of the tooth. This is the distance between the Grousers. You can use a grouser to get the hole pattern side to side. If you look in a belting or drive chain supply catalog there will be a pictre of this. Do not use an old belt as a pattern as this will be streched.

nwerring

Thank's for the advice. I just got in contact with a fellow here in Norway who had a set of new belts. I'll make some measurments from his and post whatever I find here later.
Niels.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
nwerring said:
Thank's for the advice. I just got in contact with a fellow here in Norway who had a set of new belts. I'll make some measurments from his and post whatever I find here later.
Niels.
That would be great if you could post that information. :applause:

At some point, most of us are going to have to replace our belts, so it would be very helpful if we could get a dimensional drawing of the 3 belt track design. We already have that with the 2 belt design and that is typically shipped out to people who order parts & operator manuals. Being able to include the 3 belt measurements will help everyone!