• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are Imp's worth these days?

CoFarmer

Happened to drive by this little guy waaaaaaaaaay back in the sticks today on the side of the road. Has a sign on it that says for sale best offer, sign looks to be very old. It looks REALLY rough too. That front boggy is worn down to bare metal, however, kinda looks like a neat toy. So..... what's a reasonable "best offer"

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 363

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not an IMP mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. BUT
just from the looks of it:

tracks, bogies, drivers,bearings $4k?
brake bands, cylinders, lines, fluids $1500
Would bet this cat needs all of above.
IF engine starts (comparable ) $7K - $5.5K = $1.5 K

No engine, or unknown: subtract $3.5 K
Owner should pay about $2K to have it hauled off.

OK, know that isn't going to happen...
If you want a chassis to rebuild, I'd offer 2.5K and dicker up to your choke point.

There are folks here who would argue with me, but a planning number for a small cat (non-tucker) is $20K to get running right. The lower the initial cost the higher the refurb, and vice versa. There are certainly cats that have been had for a song, but many more that in the long run cost more.

This assumes you do work, have tools, knowledge to do the work yourself.

CT

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't get me wrong, they can be a hugely fun toy/ tool. But go in eyes wide open.

CoFarmer

I'm not an IMP mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. BUT
just from the looks of it:

tracks, bogies, drivers,bearings $4k?
brake bands, cylinders, lines, fluids $1500
Would bet this cat needs all of above.
IF engine starts (comparable ) $7K - $5.5K = $1.5 K

No engine, or unknown: subtract $3.5 K
Owner should pay about $2K to have it hauled off.

OK, know that isn't going to happen...
If you want a chassis to rebuild, I'd offer 2.5K and dicker up to your choke point.

There are folks here who would argue with me, but a planning number for a small cat (non-tucker) is $20K to get running right. The lower the initial cost the higher the refurb, and vice versa. There are certainly cats that have been had for a song, but many more that in the long run cost more.

This assumes you do work, have tools, knowledge to do the work yourself.

CT

Thanks for the detailed info, exactly what I was looking for.
I'm not worried about the wrenching part at all, actually kind of excited about it, from the handful of Tuckers and Thickols I have climbed over they look pretty darn simple.

its a tin can with a motor-----3 grand if it will start and move---projects r fun----but you will have more into it than it will be worth when its done-----I have a pb240 that is in great shape-----hit the key and go------I put it on the net at 18 g---I really don't need to sell it but I would----I get guys calling with the -----they only have just so much to spend story----but they will end up buying a cheap cat and dumping tons of money into it----cidertom is right on the money----no pun there lol

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Buying a cat that has already been refurbished may be cheaper in the long run.

Just make sure the "refurbished" job was more than just a paint job, and included the mechanical as well...

Many have had tons of $$$ put into them, and will not fetch what the owner has put in them.

Just saying' :wink:

Re3gards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Opinions are like __________ every one has one.

Mine is off a bit from the norm. If you can turn a wrench snow cats are simple to maintain.

some rubber belts to get the guides and grousers to fall in front of the wheels and gravity will make fun. Brakes to change trajectory a plus

an engine to chug around the flat midwest with an intersecting forest road every so often is much different need than Mountain top access with weather variations by the hour. in that location the engine better be a tic up the preparedness list.
If you have KSA, Knowledge Skill and ability. Get after that machine.
but don't underestimate desire.
Cats are cool until it becomes a chore. I bought a cat out of AK that was just clutter to the family that owned it. Its time had passed and they were happy to see it leave.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I cannot dispute the view point of Mr Squirrel. While cats are " simple" look at how many of our brethren (and the occasional sister) have started a project and found out just WHY it was sitting there. I think an imp is a fine piece of equipment, But, unless it runs when you buy it (even then it's iffy) you can't tell if it's a quick fix or "thee might as well buy a new ship, eh".

I will say: If someone is buying a cat with the idea of rebuilding it to factory (or better) and selling it. Save your money, it won't be a good investment. If your idea is personal use, cabin access, hunting, grand-kid rides, then the end sentence, ends with: "priceless". Of if you have the idea of proving that Cider Guy is cracked, go for it, no matter the cost.

Back to the original topic: $3-4 K unless it runs and drives.

CT

funny story ----just yesterday a guy stopped to ask me about the difference in sno-cats----I have 4 cats and have had around 30 ----he is buying a cross country ski place-- he said he is going to add more trails thinking he will end up with 40 miles of trails--- he looked at my 18 g pb 240 and cringed ---than last in line is my geo tracker on mattracks 6500---he was happy---will the tracker do the job---I would say so--I use it to groom snowmobile trails he is just pulling a track setter---he stated that he wants something that looks good and not break down----lmao----as I look out in the driveway and he drives a 50 g plus chevy truck----I have been in the welding biz. for 30 years I would pic. a 50 g tool for my shop over a 50 g truck-- but he will drive his over priced truck and want to groom with a 6500 cat to run his biz.(and not break down----lol) that should make him money---what the f----- I also need to note he will b grooming in a very high snow area in upstate ny(tug hill)----I would dare say he will have to groom almost every other day----truly amazing

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Not really knowledgeable about Thiokols, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

That looks like a 1404, with (obviously) a 2-man cab and narrow tracks. The 1404 was the follow-on to the 1402, which had a 30 HP Wisconsin 4 cylinder engine. The 1404 has a Ford V-4, rated at 80 HP. In my opinion wide tracks are desirable, as are larger cabs. As has been (correctly) pointed out, there will be significant costs involved in getting this machine fully operational. What are your snowcat needs, and desires? Do you want to operate in deep snow at high elevations? Do you want to carry more than one other person? What about in the future?

If you're convinced this machine will meet your needs (and wants) when repairs and maintenance are done, then I'd possibly pursue it. But if it won't, you could sink a pile of money into this, discover it doesn't really do what you need it to, and not be able to get your money out of it, and that's not even counting your time. If not convinced, my suggestion would be to continue looking for a machine that would do everything you need/want it to, and then focus your time and money on that one.

if the price is right -----buy it----if it does not fit your needs or needs to much repair----u can resell it----I had an imp----they r tin cans with tracks----if it was near me I would buy it----parts r parts

IMP

Site Supporter
I would steer clear of IMPS. I owned a 1404 for a few years after building new tracks and going through all mechanical things and I was still nervous about using it anywhere remote. They are built for light duty applications. C4 transaxle is a weak point and they break axles pretty easy. I thought the V4 Ford was underpowered too. But It was fun to drive around and I enjoyed the project but I was glad to see it sold.