• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Report Your Snow Depth

Snowcat Pat

How about a thread where all you snow country dwellers can regularly report the snow depth in your back yard. Perhaps a "Sticky" type thread? Something like;

10/3/07, Snowcat Pat, Wallace Idaho, El. 4350, 1/2 inch total depth.

Or maybe a few more details but keep it simple so its easy to review.

Snotel sites are fun but real people would be better.

-Pat

Pat,

This is a great idea for the snowcat participants here at the ForumsForums. :applause: I've turned your thread into the official SNOW DEPTH THREAD by making it a "sticky" so it sits near the top of this Forum.

Bob Skurka, moderator for the SNOWCAT FORUMS area at ForumsForums.com​

Gatorboy

Not sure what constitutes "snow country", but we do get snow in Maryland -- but a majority only falls in the winter.

10/3/07, Gatorboy, Bel Air, MD, Elevation 385 ft, 0-inch total depth.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Point Forecast: 20 Miles SW Buffalo WY
44.13N -106.97W (Elev. 8249 ft)

Last Update: 4:59 am MDT Oct 5, 2007
Forecast Valid: 9am MDT Oct 5, 2007-6pm MDT Oct 11, 2007

Tonight: Rain and snow showers likely before midnight, then periods of snow showers. Low around 29. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 21 to 24 mph becoming north 13 to 16 mph. Winds could gust as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Saturday: Periods of snow showers. High near 33. North northwest wind between 9 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Saturday Night: Snow likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 25. North northwest wind between 9 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

I wonder if any of my snow cats are ready? I am......:thumb: :snow2_smi: :poke:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Didn't bother to measure it, but a couple inches or so in Kirkwood, CA.

Attachments

• kirkkubota.JPG
    kirkkubota.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 2,059

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Over the last couple days we received about 8 to 10 inches of new snow. The ground was warm and it has settled out to about 5 to 6 inches when we took the pic. :snow2_smi: The snow cats are pawing at the ground wanting to go with the new snow.:yum: Or, is it just me? :idea:

PA070033 snow in meadow.JPG

socal4t12

Southern California:
the last 2 storms that came left only about 1/2" above 7000' in Wrightwood and Big Bear areas. Hope there is more to follow. Saw pics of Tahoe and Mammoth with some of the white stuff on the ground.

aksnocat

The first snow of the season early Saturday morning left us with almost an inch on the ground and it's been cool enough it looks like it might stick.

I'm snow dancin' hard now.....

Hiya, HiYA, HIYa, HIYA HEY!

kgracey

Alpine Meadows, Lake Tahoe, next to Tahoe City: 2 inches and melting at elevation 6,700'. This changes quick around here, though.

Vance

We had 2 storms in the last week of 6" each. Didn't stay around too long tho. The pics below are the day after the storm with only a couple inches left. Keep that storm door open!!!

Vance

P.S. This is Soda Springs, CA

Attachments

• IMG_3370.JPG
    IMG_3370.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,755
  • IMG_3388.JPG
    IMG_3388.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 1,791
P

Pigtails

Vance,
Is that your cabin?::poke: cool...:snow2_smi: Our snow is almost all gone now. It was in the upper 50's up here today.:pat:

Vance

Vance,
Is that your cabin?::poke: cool...:snow2_smi: Our snow is almost all gone now. It was in the upper 50's up here today.:pat:

Ouch!!

Yes, that is my "cabin" for now... at least its better than pitchin a tent and I have fire inside!! :flame1: The tipi is actually quite an engineering marvel. :cool2:

I'll probably have to take it down before the snow gets too deep 'cause we typically have around 6-10 feet on the ground here. Keeping the snow off the sides to allow venting and prevent damage can be quite a chore with 5 foot dumps...
:snow2_smi:
Cabin building will start next spring.

Vance

Vance

Here is a nice chart to show you folks that it REALLY DOES SNOW here in California!!

This recording station is in Soda Springs, CA. This is near Donner Summit/Boreal/Sugar Bowl if you know those places. It's also just down the hill from my property.

Some key stats from the chart:
Average Annual Snowfall: 408 inches = 34 feet
Average Max Snowpack on Ground: 142 inches = 11.8 feet

:letitsnow: :snow2_smi:

Vance

P.S. If you click the image it will be easier to read.

Attachments

• CSSL_Snowfall_bar_chart_2005.jpg
    CSSL_Snowfall_bar_chart_2005.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,621

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I wonder where 1846 would be on that chart?

That's when the Donner Party bogged down in 14 ft of snow a few miles east and 1500 ft lower elevation. They couldn't get over the summit so they made camp at the opposite end of Donner Lake (photos of summit and lake) and waited for help...... which didn't arrive in time.

Its raining over here on the coast.

P

Pigtails

Ouch!!

Yes, that is my "cabin" for now... at least its better than pitchin a tent and I have fire inside!! :flame1: The tipi is actually quite an engineering marvel. :cool2:Vance

:pat: Geez, sorry Vance. But hey, I have seen some cool Teepees before. We used to have Indian days' here in the 50's through the 70's, I'm not sure if they still have them now or not. Different Indian tribes from everywhere here in the US, would get together at the fair grounds and set up Lots and Lots of Teepees and then they would have like a big fair and parade. It was cool. Especially the Teepees and the dances they done.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Hazardous Weather Outlook (OCTOBER 20TH 2007)

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ELKO NV
416 AM PDT SAT OCT 20 2007

NVZ030>032-034>037-211200-
HUMBOLDT COUNTY-NORTHERN ELKO COUNTY-
NORTHERN LANDER AND NORTHERN EUREKA COUNTIES-
RUBY MOUNTAINS/EAST HUMBOLDT RANGE-
SOUTHERN LANDER AND SOUTHERN EUREKA COUNTIES-
SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH CENTRAL ELKO COUNTY-WHITE PINE COUNTY-
416 AM PDT SAT OCT 20 2007

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN AND CENTRAL NEVADA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.
A STRONG COLD FRONT IS MOVING THROUGH NORTHERN NEVADA AND WILL
BE BRINGING MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES ALONG WITH SNOW DOWN TO VALLEY
FLOORS TODAY. RAIN WILL CHANGE OVER TO SNOW EARLY THROUGH THE
MORNING ACROSS NORTHERN NEVADA. MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS ALONG
WITH EMBEDDED THUNDER ARE POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON. THESE SHOWERS
COULD REDUCE VISIBILITIES DOWN TO NEAR ZERO AND PRODUCE LOCAL
SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR. LESS THAN 2
INCHES OF SNOW ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED OVER HUMBOLDT AND NORTHERN
LANDER/EUREKA COUNTIES. VALLEYS OF NORTHERN ELKO COUNTY WILL LIKELY
ONLY SEE 1 TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW...BUT LOCALLY...3 TO 5 INCHES COULD
OCCUR IN THE HEAVIEST SNOW SHOWERS. THE RUBIES AND HUMBOLDT RANGE
CAN EXPECT 3 TO 6 INCHES BY SUNDAY MORNING. THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO
END SATURDAY EVENING WITH DRY WEATHER FORECASTED THROUGH LATE NEXT
WEEK. DAYTIME TEMPERATURES WILL ALSO SLOWLY WARM BUT EXPECT BELOW
NORMAL READINGS UNTIL MONDAY AFTERNOON.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.
NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT..

SPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ACCORDING TO
STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES.

P

Pigtails

Well, it's been snowing all day here. We have 6 to 8 inches of new snow and still coming down. :thumb:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We now have about 10+ inches of new snow on the ground. Our morning temp was 18F at 7am . Some of this new snow will probably stay now for this year. The snow lasted most of yesterday and into the night. Yes, the LMC is ready and I did start and move the VMC yesterday afternoon.

PA200031 (Medium).JPG

PA200019 (Medium).JPG

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
No pic but here in Parker Co it has been snowing most of the nignt and it is 11:00am and we have about 6in on the ground this snow wont stay . Here in Parker snow tends to come and go all winter. But I have a frend that is hunting at my cabin out of Steamboat Spring and thay have about 12+ in this is my first year for me and my snow cat in the mt. and I am looking forwad to the winter best to all Larry

Briarpatch

Briarpatch here! Last week we had 12" up at the cabin outside Laramie Wyoming at about 9,000 feet. Today here in Parker Colorado we are currently getting snow. We are suppose to get 3-6". I can't wait to get te Tucker out! I have attached some picture from last week up by the cabin.

Attachments

• 100_0940.jpg
    100_0940.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 445
  • 100_0942.jpg
    100_0942.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 451

Briarpatch

Snowcat Operations, Its a 1976 1644. It has the 318 and 4 speed tranny. I owned it for about 6 years. I does very well in the powder, but it takes a lot of room to turn it around. We use it to go in and out to our cabin out side Laramie. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• 100_0799.jpg
    100_0799.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 451
  • 100_0797.jpg
    100_0797.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 447
  • 100_0796.jpg
    100_0796.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 455

aksnocat

Got a small dump on Friday/Saturday, about 6 inches.

The temp has dropped (saw -1 F on the way to work this morning) so I don't think it's going away.

dansvan

Got our first inch or 2 here in Eagle River, Ak. At my elevation anyway. Mountains have had snow up high for awhile now.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Got a light dusting here yesterday, not even worth hauling out the camera. It's coming though. I can feel it!